MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe the term for misrepresenting a quote out of context is a little term called plagiarism....but what do i know...

I thought plagiarism is copying another's work and claiming it is yours.

I thought plagiarism is copying another's work and claiming it is yours.

Yes it is. I don't know what the term is for misrepresenting a quote.

I think it is simply misquote. But, to me that implies a simple error with no hidden agenda.

Other possibilities might be distortion or misrepresentation.

(Related words are dishonest, deceitful and disingenuous.)

*putting away Thesaurus*

If you want to get legal,

Publicity Placing Person in False Light

One who gives publicity to a matter concerning another that places the other before the public in a false light is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if

(a)  the false light in which the other was placed would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, and

(B)  the actor had knowledge of or acted in reckless disregard as to the falsity of the publicized matter and the false light in which the other would be placed.

Restatement (2d) of Torts § 652E.

Btw: I have no idea how an emoticon got in the quote but I can't get the little *&@% out.

Edited by Legalhack

I believe inciting a riot is illegal to. Is it not? :blink:

I believe inciting a riot is illegal to. Is it not? :blink:

Yes. However, you have to urge, counsel or advise people to riot in order to be found guilty of inciting a riot. See O.C.G.A. § 16-11-31. For example, if folks rioted just because they didn't like what I said or did (a hazard in my line of work), I didn't incite the riot. On the other hand, the guy who told the mob, "Let's string him up and burn down his condo," might face criminal liability (if other elements are proven).

Edited by Legalhack

Yes. However, you have to urge, counsel or advise people to riot in order to be found guilty of inciting a riot. See O.C.G.A. § 16-11-31. For example, if folks rioted just because they didn't like what I said or did (a hazard in my line of work), I didn't incite the riot. On the other hand, the guy who told the mob, "Let's string him up and burn down his condo," might face criminal liability (if other elements are proven).

Good to know!! ^0^ :P

"Rick Connor's One on One with "Evil Emperor":

A few quotes that "Jumped off the page":

GH: "I guess, as much as I have been involved in the activity for comming up on 40 years, I have never been a fan of corps".

And:

GH: "Indeed, Iwould not be surprised if my time in the activity is comming to a close. One can never be sure, but perhaps the draw of the classroom, or lectures, or a world class, issue laden non-profit might pull me from my roots".

All this and much more (Which should no doubt provoke a "few" comments on this board), can be found in the 'Winter' issue of Masters of the Marching Arts.

Happy Reading.

Elphaba

Wow, what a jerk. GH has done a lot for drum corps (broken record, I know, but so is this ####in flame bait crap!) and I for one would be sad to see him go.