MMA's Interview With George Hopkins

So did he misspell coming in the article, too?

And I'd be happy to see Hopkins leave the activity. While I certainly appreciate all that he has done for the activity, he's beginning (or has been) pushing it in a direction that I would not like to see it go. His proposals of enlarging the corps and allowing woodwinds aren't my cup of tea.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News flash: Hopkins is responsible for "The Cadets" as we know them today. So, he did give them to us.

As far as the original post goes, two quotes without a link to the source material are useless. I tried looking for the article, but it seems to only be in print.

To quote the original post:

"...One..." "...Evil Emperor..." "...jumped..." "...GH..." "...and..." "...should..." "...provoke..." "...comments..."

And here, from Hopkins' recent blog entries, are some recent thoughts on the possibility of putting drum corps in his past:

As for my work … I have had the chance for 23 years to serve some of the great young people of the world.

I do waiver from time to time. I am beginning to sense my love for teaching, and my love for life, may have me select a different world than the one I live in today.

All that said, the work is filled with possibility and joy! The chance to be a part of so many cool projects has been just an utter privilege.

Today I live in a place I enjoy, I go to work at a job I love with great people, I have a fabulous daughter, and I see the possibility for the best of relationships.

I think I am fortunate.

I sense that my fortunes have turned yet to be even better.

I am thankful.

That's seems to me to be a bit more informative than the "quote" that began this thread.

HH

Edited by glory

Allow me to throw a little more cold water on this discussion. Some of you hope he'll retire from drum corps. Putting aside the issue of whether he could be replaced by a leader of similar ability, do you really think drum corps without him would turn back time and revert to the style of the past?

I mean, isn't the risk greater without him? Not only might two storied corps be less secure without the leadership that has sustained them, but isn't it also possible that he could be succeeded by a leader whose ideas are even more radical? The old generation is less active, after all. The new generation of leaders will have grown up in a world where amps and narration were ordinary. Maybe the devil you know is to be preferred?

HH

Allow me to throw a little more cold water on this discussion. Some of you hope he'll retire from drum corps. Putting aside the issue of whether he could be replaced by a leader of similar ability, do you really think drum corps without him would turn back time and revert to the style of the past?

I mean, isn't the risk greater without him? Not only might two storied corps be less secure without the leadership that has sustained them, but isn't it also possible that he could be succeeded by a leader whose ideas are even more radical? The old generation is less active, after all. The new generation of leaders will have grown up in a world where amps and narration were ordinary. Maybe the devil you know is to be preferred?

HH

If George was to leave, there would certainly be a void...even with a known name at the helm of the Cadets, things would be far different within the BoD and it's attendent "power players". I think you'd then see the other established directors, such as Fiedler and Gibbs become more of a face within DCI.

From a voting standpoint though, not that much would change. As I understand it, Gibbs is for at least electronics, if not woodwinds. A few others are as well. Whoever would be the YEA! executive director would almost certainly be of a similar mindset as George, but may not be so quick to propose certain changes to the activity...unless it was someone like Marc Sylvester or another established name who took over.

I don't think there would be a sense of "parity" as some would like if Hop left. The rate of change may slow down, though.

(edited due to me not finishing a sentence. :P )

Edited by bawker

If you'd like to e-mail Rick Connors at Masters of the Marching Arts, you can reach him at the magazine: www.mastersmarchingarts.com

I will ask him for the article and and get his permission to post a piece or all of it. The person who updates his Website has taken these last 2 or 3 years to write 2 books. The one that he finished (a true strory "Slipping Into Darkness") was published about a month ago. Please see DCP Marketplace for info.

The MMA website should be updated soon now that Mike has a break from getting the book out!

Mike is an alum of the Reveries and North Star. The 2nd book is about drum corps, true stories with fictional names.

I have my pistoli loaded and ready when that one hits!

I hope this helps!

"Rick Connor's One on One with "Evil Emperor":

A few quotes that "Jumped off the page":

GH: "I guess, as much as I have been involved in the activity for comming up on 40 years, I have never been a fan of corps".

And:

GH: "Indeed, Iwould not be surprised if my time in the activity is comming to a close. One can never be sure, but perhaps the draw of the classroom, or lectures, or a world class, issue laden non-profit might pull me from my roots".

I also find this post to be terribly irresponsible. Posting quotes without their full context is not cool at all. Shame on you whoever you are.

I also think it would be drum corps' loss if Hopkins ever left the activity. He has done so much to advance the activity (not to mention his hand in providing us with some amazing Cadets shows over the years). It would be a shame to lose a creative mind like his.