Sound Board and Front Boundary Rules Pass

I don't care who disagreed with me. It's MHO.

Yes, the sound was better...and this rule will permit it to be even "more better".

do you not see the contradiction here? this was done to fix the "issues" they had.

if it was what they wanted, no rule change would have been needed.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adjusting the miccing where there is an issue will allow the actual sounds being produced by the members to reach those people more accurately as regards what the performers are actually producing,

... and ought to be completed before the performance begins. How 'bout an extra minute or two added to the warm-up for a sound check, instead?

honestly, I can live with the amps, even if I don't like the way they have been utilized in some cases. But for a staff member to be able to directly effect the product on the field and therefore possibly effect the outcome of a show is rediculous IMO.

...said the person who is boycotting actually GOING to shows...

Yes it was better...and now it can be even better yet.

I guess it was better................if your definition of "better" is not being able to hear the hornline over the pit! ^0^ :P

George Hopkins on the DCI rules video even said that some directors don't even fully understand the ramifications of these proposals that they are deciding on.

So what's new? :blink::blink::bleah:

"Hey kids...remember how for the last 2 seasons we've had you using better technique that doesn't require you beating the crap out of the instruments? Yeah..forget about that - go back to your bad technique."

right.

sorry to bring up a positive aspect of amps, everyone - try your hardest not to let your head explode ^0^

Why don't we just mic the horns as well so they don't have to play triple forte? that way they can be louder without having to blow harder.

You have good technique or you don't.

I really don't believe amplifying the pit makes them play better.

in 93 and 94 Regiment had their pit in the middle of the field (and for those who never saw those shows by middle I mean the hash marks, not the 50 yard line) and they did just fine without amps.

arrivaderci

enter sarcasm here -I'm glad to see that drum corps is teaching all these wonderful attitudes here :blink:

I said I wasn't going to waste my money on the CD's and DVD's did I Say I'm going anywhere?

There was once actually. It was acoustic brass and percussion. Sounded pretty good every night.

This thread grew five pages since I last checked it yesterday, so I apologize for bringing this up "late". Brass and percussion do a sound check in each stadium too, just like the amped pits. The brassline adjusted to the different performance venues by listening in during an onfield warmup. Likewise, a sound board operator for a pit watches over the pit during a show.

I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent, but when proposals allow for new things to be used in a corps shows, how many drum corps actually take advantage of them? For example, in 2004 the amps were approved for the first time. Carolina Crown and Boston Crusaders were the first corps to explore a different usage for them other than just allowing the pit to use good technique. In 2005, this "creative" usage was refined even more because of the mistakes learned. Cadets provided an entertaining mic'ed drumspeak section and of course the beginning narration so people understood the show a little better. Bluecoats incorporated a creative look on their Cirque Du Soleil theme by having spoken words from the show. Seattle Cascades included narration because their show was a based on a piece that had narration in the first place. Blue Devils is self explanatory. The point I'm trying to make is that over time the usage of amps has been refined. I think it is safe to say that 2005 was more well put together as opposed to 2004 when amps were used for the first time. In 2006, the allowance of a person to watch over the sound board is another refinement of amps. I've heard overbalanced pits, and this proposal can reduce the number of times that happens because someone will be able to tell if the pit is overbearing the hornline. This is out of the corps members' control, which is why it is good for a pit tech to be able to do this. I think it would be safe to say that after 2006 this proposal will go down as not being the blown out of proportion thing it has turned into over the past couple months.

Signed,

A person who doesn't know why this is such a big deal :)