More from the Hopkins blog...

Our resident forum psychologist?

Nope, counselor.

What's the diagnosis for Gibbs, who went a lot farther out that limb?

Big "T" personality.

Or Fiedler, who says one thing and does another?

HH

Bipolar disorder or split personalities.

:P

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't he radically change show design in some other way?

I don't look for controversy in my drum corps shows.

Regardless of whether or not I like this show, it means there will be a chunk of it I'll have to fast forward through when watching the DVDs. I'm hoping it's not as big of a chunk as he makes it out to be.

so you aren't even going to give it a chance.....? <**> :worthy: <**>

Actually, after reading his latest post, I'm completely excited about the 2006 show. "A grand ballad certain to bring tears"? What more could you want? I'm hooked. I actually liked the vocal soloist in Crown's 2004 show. nd as long as George promises to do what I talked about in my last post, and that is create the most entertaining show possible.

However.

I, speaking for myself and only myself, don't feel that vocal elements should become standard in drum corps shows, nor do I think they're necessary. Obviously many people don't feel the same way, so it's not as easy as simply not including them at all. I would just hate to see a day in which every single show finals night has vocal narration. Is there anyone hear that would actually want that? You're blasting a Vanguard show from your car, and someone's voice booms over the speakers? I'd prefer sounds of brass and percussion to be booming over the speakers, but I guess that's just me.

So we all have our own opinions. Mine is that drum corps doesn't need to evolve at all, whatsoever. It's fine where it is. Give me 25 more years of brass, percussion, and colorguard, as we've been seeing for the past 34 years, and I'll be happy.

You can find ways to be innovative without using amplification. Remember Santa Clara's helicopters from '91? Blue Devils' train sounds from '04? If the use of electronic keyboards were to be allowed, as they very well might soon be, those sounds would be able to be produced by pushing a button. So much for creativity.

But regarding the Cadets, I have faith that the corps will put out an extremely entertaining program, and that's all I'm concerned about.

so you aren't even going to give it a chance.....? <**> :wub: <**>

When did he say that?

Besides, it is his choice whether or not he gives it a chance, not yours to decide that everyone should. I've given amped vocals a chance in drum corps for 2 years and in marching band for almost 20 years and have yet to be blown away by what I have seen. :worthy:

Actually, after reading his latest post, I'm completely excited about the 2006 show.

So we all have our own opinions. Mine is that drum corps doesn't need to evolve at all, whatsoever. It's fine where it is. Give me 25 more years of brass, percussion, and colorguard, as we've been seeing for the past 34 years, and I'll be happy.

An open mind. I love it when that happens.

Cheers to you.

HH

so you aren't even going to give it a chance.....? <**> :worthy: <**>

I cringed at Boston's use of narration. I cringed at Crown's singing and "poetry." I laughed at Cadets' Bjork speak. I laughed and cringed at Cascades' narration. It was kind of hard to fast forward through BD's narration, but I thought theirs was the most tasteful attempt at narration so far, and I also have a huge BD bias (there I admitted it) so I struggled through it.

So far the only narration that I have been able to tolerate on any level is the drumspeak both Bluecoats and Cadets did.

I just don't see myself liking or enjoying that part of the performance. Notice, however, that I said "Regardless of whether I like the show" in my last post. I'm willing to give the Cadets a shot, but I'm still going to fast forward through the parts with singing.

Of course I could in theory end up loving it and listening to it on repeat. This is just what I'm predicting will happen (as has happened with the aforementioned uses of narration).

An interesting thing about anyone’s opinion of another person is that it is just that, an opinion or, in other words, that person’s PERCEPTION of the other person. So while GH is certainly no angel, it is each of our individual perceptions of him that end up on this and other boards. It is interesting how often you can read about the same comments or circumstances involving a person (especially someone as controversial as GH) and be left with opposing descriptions of the actions, intentions, etc. of the person involved. Maybe, just maybe, sometime some of the pretension is in the eye of the beholder (or poster as the case may be).

I’m not sure what I’ll end up thinking about the solo vocalist in The Cadets’ show this year. I won’t rule in favor or against until I hear it in the context of their entire show. But even if I don’t like it, I will acknowledge the effort put into it just as I did SVC’s somewhat old style shows from 2004 and 2005. They weren’t my cup of tea and too much a throwback to days of old for me, but they performed the heck out of these shows and worked their butts off.

Often enough there are parts of many corps shows that bore me to tears; and these are shows that take no risk and play it by the textbook of more universally “acceptable” design and content. While some of the more unique and cutting-edge shows and ideas may intrigue me more, I still don’t go for a hot dog, stand around and boo, insist every corps comply, or chastise/demean/belittle the directors of the corps who choose to stay closer to the standards acceptable to the supposed “majority” of fans.

Variety is the spice of life – I don’t go to drum corps shows to see hour upon hour of the same thing one after the other.

Not passive-aggressive?

HH

Who's the counselor here? :worthy: :P

Edited by Cainan

You know, I guess I am slowly beginning to be assimilated because I am sitting back and giving things a chance. I have never been too much of a Cadets fan. That said, I thought that 2005 was awesome. Just like the Garfield Cadets of the early and mid eighties, they (the Cadets) pushed the boundries, whilst not compromising excellence and were rewarded for it. Good for them I say. I will give them a chance in '06. I am going to Nationals and a few shows before. I will view them (and ALL the other corps) with an open mind. If I like them... great. If I dont, I will go get a hot dog, go visit the souvie trucks, whatever. What I will do though, is give them a chance.

I marched in the late eighties and early nineties. What we did back then was drastically different than the seventies. That said, those "dinosaurs" from the seventies gave MY generation a chance. They supported us and we were the better off for the experience. Whilst I dont necessarily agree with some of the changes in DCI these days, I have given up fighting and just go to enjoy the spectacle. This generation of kids are doing their thing and they have exactly the same amount of passion and drive as my generation, and the generations before me did. The kids in Concord today want to beat Santa Clara just as much as we (Freelancers) wanted to kick VK's butts back in our day. Nothing has changed.

As for Hoppy. Well, I have met the man (although I doubt he would remember me). We had a brief conversation and he seemed genuine. He did NOT strike me as pretentious or arrogant. He did not strike me as an "attention seeker". He IS a very engaging and likeable guy and he IS a visionary. He has a very specific vision of what HE would like DCI to be. That said, George Hopkins alone does not DCI make. There are 20 something other directors that either choose to follow or avoid his proposals. SO to blame George Hopkins or any one person for the "demise" (if you can call it that... what with ESPN and the financial state of individual corps is healthier than it has ever been as a whole) of drum corps is wholly unjust and totally unfair.

See YOU all on the 50!

Edited by Cainan