DCA Schedule

Kingston NY on Aug 12????? What's up with a show happening on the same day as DCI finals??? Is that normal? Last season we had a show that weekend, but it was right around the corner from the DCI stadium and happened on Sunday, the day after DCI finals. This is very distressing news for me. I bought my tickets for DCI finals while I was in Foxboro last summer. Money cannot buy better tickets! It just seems to me that there should not be a performance obligation for us that forces us to miss the biggest drum corps event of the year. I'm willing to bet there are lots of people that march DCA that have kids marching in DCI. I certainly know lots of kids that I was planning on cheering on from the stands.

What are your thoughts and feelings about this?

Every year I marched the East Providence, RI, or the Kingston show was the night of DCI finals.

Edited by MikeM

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's really nice to see about this schedule is...

July 15 Orlando, FL

July 22 Milwaukee, WI

July 29 Houston, TX

August 5 Rockmart, GA

August 19 St. Peter, MN

August 20 Hastings, MN

Bravo to expansion!

And don't overlook Manassas, VA. This our first show and ostensibly it is a DCA South show.

Jeff it will be a pleasure seeing you again as I am return to march with the Bucanneers. So I am sure to look you up.

(PS this is Arnie/Scott from Pittsburgh) :P

well ####, for you, I have to drag Kathy Hepner out of the house. it's starting to look like a Steel City reunion in Reading. tho, when Kathy sees McGrogan, she feels old...til she sees Walt :P

Kingston NY on Aug 12????? What's up with a show happening on the same day as DCI finals??? Is that normal? Last season we had a show that weekend, but it was right around the corner from the DCI stadium and happened on Sunday, the day after DCI finals. This is very distressing news for me. I bought my tickets for DCI finals while I was in Foxboro last summer. Money cannot buy better tickets! It just seems to me that there should not be a performance obligation for us that forces us to miss the biggest drum corps event of the year. I'm willing to bet there are lots of people that march DCA that have kids marching in DCI. I certainly know lots of kids that I was planning on cheering on from the stands.

it's happened lots of times. while it won't bother me per se, i can see how it would bother others, but here's the thing....going weekends only, and given the availability of stadiums, DCA only has so many options to work with. Giventhat Kingston is usually a huge show with southern corps there, a Sunday show option just may not be feasible.

Reading is VERY late this year, competing against West Haven.

That'll pose some tough choices for those corps who traditionally schlep out Reading every year.

true, but it's nice for the PA fans to get to see some action right before finals

it's become an annual tradition to stand around in the Kingston parking lot or in the McDonalds on the NYS Thruway and get the DCI scores. the only time in recent history (i.e. the last 10 years) there hasn't been a DCA show on the Saturday of the DCI championships was last year and the reason was that the DCA show in RI this year was on a Sunday was because it was sponsored by DCI.

my personal feeling is that with DCA corps heading towards their own championship many can't afford to give up a weekend for another circuit's show. i know others have given the weekend off and had no problems winning, and still others will disagree with me that they should get it off and that's fine. i've also seen corps members of corps that were having competition blow it off for DCI and IMO that sucks. you made a committment to your corps first and foremost, stick with it. don't come up with some excuse like "my Aunt Shirley died and i have to attend the funeral this weekend" because if someone sees you at DCI, you're screwed.

talk with your corps' staff about the issue and see what you can come up with together. just because the Kingston show is listed on the general DCA schedule it doesn't mean your corps hasn't given the weekend off to you guys. from what i recall Brigs do give that weekend off.

true, but it's nice for the PA fans to get to see some action right before finals

my guess is you will see a completely different corps line up than usual.

Uh, deal with it. Your corps is more important. Never count on having DCI Finals day "off". It doesn't always happen. It also depends on what corps you're in. I know when I was in Sun back in the mid 90's, we had DCI weekend off, but as years progressed we opted to not take that weekend off...and subsequent corps after that that I was in also didn't have that weekend off.

These kids today.

my guess is you will see a completely different corps line up than usual.

i'd fully expect that, and while i love the usual suspects at Albright stadium, it'd be nice to see some corps who I don't ever remember being there, or in some cases, haven't been there in over 10 years

Up until a few years ago...either Reading or especially Carlisle was always a late season show. When I was playing with Empire it seemed we traveled to PA almost EVERY weekend circa 1990 or so. And the battles were intense between Empire, WS, SCA, CRU and Bucs...those 4 corps could end up flip flopped almost every week, and the top 4 spots within a point or so. We called it DCA west!

Donny