Brace yourselves...

I feel nothing but pity for the people who plug their ears and drone "I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT." I guess I'm just lucky that I'm able to appreciate and love drum corps of the past and present, and look forward to the future. I'm pretty un-lucky in so many other things, I'll take it. :music:

All it took was hearing Crown ONCE last year, and I didn't like it, and I won't like it. I don't care if it's Crown, BAC, Cadets, Cavies, whoever. Amp'ed voice has no business being in drum corps.

Its band. I don't wanna hear band, I wanna hear corps.

If that's closed minded, well, then I'm closed minded. I know what I like, and what the Cadets are offering ain't it.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't band. It's a vocalist being layered on top of a drum corps. Where are you getting band from? This is a Top 12 Div. 1 drum corps we're talking about.

If that's closed minded, well, then I'm closed minded. I know what I like, and what the Cadets are offering ain't it.

Yes, but you aren't the only person with this mentality. And guess what? Alot of people like this, and are going to like it.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

All it took was hearing Crown ONCE last year, and I didn't like it, and I won't like it. I don't care if it's Crown, BAC, Cadets, Cavies, whoever. Amp'ed voice has no business being in drum corps.

Oh my God! I can't agree with a liberal, can I? B)

I for one am very very very proud of the way The Cadets Organization ( basically George and Design Team ) have carried themselves the past three years in regard to their controversial show designs.

Jethro Tull? Baton twirlers?, Kill Bill?, Massive revolving Doors?, Catholic school girls conversing with audience before show?, Catholic school girl morphs into DCI Judge? Drumspeak?, BJORK SPEAK?!?!?!? :music: Featured Vocalist in Ballad? Oldest Operating Drumcorps alters it's Historic uniform for the sake of the SHOW?!?!?

Talk about trying something different in drumcorps!!!!!

NO OTHER HAS DONE THIS MUCH IN THE PAST 3 YEARS TO PUSH THE CURRENT NORMS OF DCI DESIGN!!!

1) Personally, I don't care about people who rant and rave about shows and concepts having already been done by some highschool band somewhere.

IMO, whatever some 75 piece band from whoknowswhere ####### wyoming has done before really doesn't matter to my overall enjoyment of a Cadets program ( not dogging the band who did Sanvean by the way ) The Cadets final product ( at least right now ) will be leaps and bounds better than the best high school band in the nation anyway. The two will have totally different effects and won't be relatively the same in scope of performance. People should stop trying to compare the two. IF YOU GET UPSET BECAUSE SOMETHING HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, STOP LISTENING TO ####### MUSIC. ARTIST ARE INSPIRED BY AND COPY ARTIST ALL OF THE TIME. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. Almost every great Jazz group/artist puts their own spin on someone else's tune. The Cadets are doing no different. Idiots.

I know I sound ###### off, but I kinda am. The Cadets for the most part get raped on this board over and over again. I just think many people who CLAIM to be all up tight about the tradition and history of Drumcorp should show a little more respect to the oldest operating Drumcorp..... The Cadets. After all they have without a doubt played a major part in developing the traditions and history that you claim to love so much. 9 World Championships and 1934 remember? The Cadets, more than any other corps, can say that they ARE Drumcorp. But do they boast? NO. Again, I am not talking about liking their programs, I am talking about showing respect where respect is due.

Some of the BEST componets of Drumcorps today have been instilled by groups and individuals that went AGAINST the tradition. More people need to remember this fact.

I think the Cadets have honorably gone about thinking and stepping outside the box. They don't deserved to get bashed like they do.

Ok. I am done ranting. In conclusion, lets just say I think people should show respect where respect is due, and that I thank God that The Cadets aren't and never will be ####IES. (meow)

:music: Listening to clips of Velvet Pants from the Cadets Camp ( i got connections)..............OMFG!!!!!!!!!

borg.jpg

It isn't band. It's a vocalist being layered on top of a drum corps. Where are you getting band from? This is a Top 12 Div. 1 drum corps we're talking about.

No, it USED to be a Top 12 Div. 1 drum corps. It is no longer that. It is a Band, minus woodwinds.

Yes, but you aren't the only person with this mentality. And guess what? Alot of people like this, and are going to like it.

And that's their right. If thats what they choose to enjoy, then more power to them.

I will be at the hot dog stand, and I WON'T be buying any Cadets gear.

I for one am very very very proud of the way The Cadets Organization ( basically George and Design Team ) have carried themselves the past three years in regard to their controversial show designs.

...and you should be. It's certainly quite a swerve from Malaguena, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and some of the other offerings in between championships.

Jethro Tull? Baton twirlers?, Kill Bill?, Massive revolving Doors?, Catholic school girls conversing with audience before show?, Catholic school girl morphs into DCI Judge? Drumspeak?, BJORK SPEAK?!?!?!? :music: Featured Vocalist in Ballad? Oldest Operating Drumcorps alters it's Historic uniform for the sake of the SHOW?!?!?

Talk about trying something different in drumcorps!!!!!

NO OTHER HAS DONE THIS MUCH IN THE PAST 3 YEARS TO PUSH THE CURRENT NORMS OF DCI DESIGN!!!

Different, yes...but much of what you speak of isn't so much a push in design as it is incorporating more of a "props" deal like mid 80's Santa Clara. Lest we forget the libretto handed out by Phantom, the magic tricks, and the disappearing Phantom. SCV performed a uniform change in 1986 as well. The doors and audience interaction are of a similar vein.

Certainly they add something to the performance, but from a purely brass/percussion design point of view...I don't know that I could say it turned the activity on its ear. More than anything, there was some strong playing and drumming that brought the championship home, all gimmicks aside. That's integral to what drum corps is, and the second we let ourselves move away from that, it becomes a little disingenious to the tradition you speak of.

1) Personally, I don't care about people who rant and rave about shows and concepts having already been done by some highschool band somewhere.

IMO, whatever some 75 piece band from whoknowswhere ####### wyoming has done before really doesn't matter to my overall enjoyment of a Cadets program ( not dogging the band who did Sanvean by the way ) The Cadets final product ( at least right now ) will be leaps and bounds better than the best high school band in the nation anyway. The two will have totally different effects and won't be relatively the same in scope of performance. People should stop trying to compare the two. IF YOU GET UPSET BECAUSE SOMETHING HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, STOP LISTENING TO ####### MUSIC. ARTIST ARE INSPIRED BY AND COPY ARTIST ALL OF THE TIME. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. Almost every great Jazz group/artist puts their own spin on someone else's tune. The Cadets are doing no different. Idiots.

I think the problem is where some of the inspiration comes from. With some exceptions, DCI used to be the ones who inspired marching bands to copy them. Now, it seems it's the other way around. It's going to take time for people to get used to such a paradigm shift in design, idiots or not. :P

Everyone has a different line in the sand as to what's "drum corps", anyway. That alone is the biggest stumbling block most arguments here face.

I know I sound ###### off, but I kinda am. The Cadets for the most part get raped on this board over and over again. I just think many people who CLAIM to be all up tight about the tradition and history of Drumcorp should show a little more respect to the oldest operating Drumcorp..... The Cadets. After all they have without a doubt played a major part in developing the traditions and history that you claim to love so much. 9 World Championships and 1934 remember? The Cadets, more than any other corps, can say that they ARE Drumcorp. But do they boast? NO. Again, I am not talking about liking their programs, I am talking about showing respect where respect is due.

Well, if you put yourself out there...it's going to happen. George knows this, his kids know this...and really, more of the fans should realize it as well. Like it or not, there is a reputation that some give George Hopkins and the Cadets. That can work both ways...but, again...if you take the risk...you must be prepared for the questions that come along with it.

Respect doesn't factor into some people feeling that they're losing something special. For a lot of folks, drum corps is an integral, passionate part of their life. When things change on the field, and it doesn't "feel" like drum corps anymore, that can create a big hole and a feeling of discontentment, and stir up some negative feelings. It's just the nature of the beast and human emotion. No one hates those kids here. No one. But, some people have trouble expressing what they feel is a loss to the activity that they got so much out of. It's hard to quantify, and leads to a lot of the flame wars here.

Some of the BEST componets of Drumcorps today have been instilled by groups and individuals that went AGAINST the tradition. More people need to remember this fact.

I think the Cadets have honorably gone about thinking and stepping outside the box. They don't deserved to get bashed like they do.

Agreed. Going against the grain leads to shows like SCV 1980, Suncoast 1988 and so on. It can be a wonderful thing...but then again, it could end up like Spirit of Atlanta's "Interstellar Suite". :P

Remember that change takes time... :)

P.S. Howsabout the hookups for those clips of "Velvet Pants"? :P

Edited by bawker

Why are we still replying to trolls? All they do is copy and paste the same opinion in every post. The arguments have been had 100 times over. If we ignore them, they'll leave. If not, the thread eventually gets locked.

ANYway. I love it and I think after some refining it'll be a real moment. I don't know if anything could top Dancer, but you never know. I am so so so excited to see this show. I agree that it sounds very Howard-Shore-ish.

The only thing I wanted to say - as a voice major who sings in that range a lot - it's very hard for women (even altos) to straight-tone down there for long, especially at a high volume. It's bad for your voice, and it hurts after awhile. I can't imagine doing it all summer and not getting nodes.... but maybe her chords are different from mine. So I hope they can work out those balance problems, because I think that's why she sounds unstable sometimes. And because the recording is just poor quality.

I'm sure that'll take some experience on tour to really get it to work.

Edited by HornlineDiva

<--- Certainly not a troll, considering I have 100x the posts you do.

Opinionated? #### yes. Troll? #### no.

Poodle, that was just wrong. :music:

And yet oh, so, right.

By the way, I finally decided to stop receiving YEA e-mails now.