Brace yourselves...

The thing is this: I don't want to be anti-Cadets.

However, Hoppy's "innovations" leave me little other choice. I don't like the product he proposes, don't like the direction he's leading DCI, don't like what he's done to my former favorite corps.

So, I guess that makes me Anti-Cadets.

Dude you just took a perfectly positive posting and turned completely around to the negative side. Congratulations man. I mean even though people disagreed with the vocals thing they had some class about their posting. As an alumni of the cadets, I feel pretty crappy after reading your posts. It's one thing to disagree it's another thing to discourage the members and staff of the Cadets.

I also can't believe your ignorance to say that George has ruined the corps. Do you really think its George that does everything, do you think he arranges the show, picks the music, writes the drill, no, he is just the director. He is just a face for the corps. Maybe it would help if you knew that Marc Sylvestor and Jonathan Schwartz play a much larger part in the selection of music than George even does.

Furthermore, no one cares if you’re going to go get a hot dog during the cadets. It's nice to be like I just don't like the song, I don't like amplification. It's another thing to say something like I'm going to get a hot dog. Great wonderful, statements that are unsupportive don't hurt any one except for the kids that are trying their best to do this. As someone who has been on the traditionalist side and the innovation side, I can say there are things I don't like too. I also am not a fan of other vocal amplification; however I'm not going to let one performance or song ruin the fact that the rest of the show could be the best thing to ever hit the field.

Everyday kids jump on here to read people's perception and everyday those kids who have the chance to pursue greatness read all this negativity and second guess whether tradition is above their personal goals. To say I hate this song/amplification is so much nicer than to say some of the stuff you have been saying like I'm going to get a hot dog. That would be like me saying I hope you choke on that hot dog because hot dogs are full of carcinogens that cause cancer and I don't like them. Terrible thing to say but you choking on a hotdog is the equivalent to a negative post discouraging a member. Just like a member that has to live their whole summer with that, every time you eat a hot dog you are going to have to think "Man I better chew this hotdog carefully, I don't want to ruin me". Silly analogy, yes but I think I am making a valid point. I went to march the places that I have marched because my pursuit of greatness not because I think Bb sound better than G's. I wanted to push myself past every limit I ever thought I had, I didn't march because people can finally hear the pit due to electronics. Sometimes people need to evaluate what the bigger issue is here. People constantly say drum corps is dying but drum corps will die if high school band programs give kids a "cooler" experience than drum corps. If my high school was top notch and had amplification and singers and theatrics than why would I want to go march a drum corps that, to my 17 yr. old undeveloped eye, does not have all the cool stuff we do.

It's an open forum here we are allowed to say anything we want but that doesn't always mean it needs to be derogatory. If you don't like some thing that's cool, if you do like something cool. I marched years that I disagreed with stuff in our show and believe it or not they may not be the things that are obvious but you will never here me talk about them, why? Because I learned too much in one season to focus on a few design disagreements and that's more important to me.

I don't want this thread to turn into a big debate about what I've just said, please try to stay on topic (unlike me lol). I just had to get a thing or two off my chest. It should go without saying but I'm not speaking as any kind of representation of any corps and I am just speaking from my experience. I'm not trying to feed trolls; I'm just trying to get some people to think about what they could be saying. You are completely entitled to your opinion as am I no one can take that away from us but just have some respect for those members who are going off to have the hardest summer of their life and give them atleast a little bit of encouragement, please.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a YEA donor (probably should be as I have ties to Crossmen) but to me the difference between George and most other corps directors (including the likes of Bill Kemmerrer and Hugh Mahon at Garfield) is that George makes the changes in the organization about him, not about the Cadets.

As much as I disliked BDs show last year, it was THEIR show, not one person's call for attention. It's time to put the emphasis back on the corps, even if it means going back to mainstream shows performed with awesome quality.

I don't think George Hopkins makes the Cadets shows about himself. If you have read his blog. He has given alot of creative control over to his Staff. In fact last years show concept was Mark Sylvesters. And, according to George Hopkins remarks on the DVD he(George ) contributed a little more than a few ideas to last years show. I learn more about each corps by going to their web sites and actually emailing the directors with my questions. You'll be surprised how many reply. They'er just regular people, just like us.

Wait, what was wrong with Cadets 04?

Jethro Tull? LOL

Dude you just took a perfectly positive posting and turned completely around to the negative side. Congratulations man. I mean even though people disagreed with the vocals thing they had some class about their posting. As an alumni of the cadets, I feel pretty crappy after reading your posts. It's one thing to disagree it's another thing to discourage the members and staff of the Cadets.

I also can't believe your ignorance to say that George has ruined the corps. Do you really think its George that does everything, do you think he arranges the show, picks the music, writes the drill, no, he is just the director. He is just a face for the corps. Maybe it would help if you knew that Marc Sylvestor and Jonathan Schwartz play a much larger part in the selection of music than George even does.

Furthermore, no one cares if you're going to go get a hot dog during the cadets. It's nice to be like I just don't like the song, I don't like amplification. It's another thing to say something like I'm going to get a hot dog. Great wonderful, statements that are unsupportive don't hurt any one except for the kids that are trying their best to do this. As someone who has been on the traditionalist side and the innovation side, I can say there are things I don't like too. I also am not a fan of other vocal amplification; however I'm not going to let one performance or song ruin the fact that the rest of the show could be the best thing to ever hit the field.

Everyday kids jump on here to read people's perception and everyday those kids who have the chance to pursue greatness read all this negativity and second guess whether tradition is above their personal goals. To say I hate this song/amplification is so much nicer than to say some of the stuff you have been saying like I'm going to get a hot dog. That would be like me saying I hope you choke on that hot dog because hot dogs are full of carcinogens that cause cancer and I don't like them. Terrible thing to say but you choking on a hotdog is the equivalent to a negative post discouraging a member. Just like a member that has to live their whole summer with that, every time you eat a hot dog you are going to have to think "Man I better chew this hotdog carefully, I don't want to ruin me". Silly analogy, yes but I think I am making a valid point. I went to march the places that I have marched because my pursuit of greatness not because I think Bb sound better than G's. I wanted to push myself past every limit I ever thought I had, I didn't march because people can finally hear the pit due to electronics. Sometimes people need to evaluate what the bigger issue is here. People constantly say drum corps is dying but drum corps will die if high school band programs give kids a "cooler" experience than drum corps. If my high school was top notch and had amplification and singers and theatrics than why would I want to go march a drum corps that, to my 17 yr. old undeveloped eye, does not have all the cool stuff we do.

It's an open forum here we are allowed to say anything we want but that doesn't always mean it needs to be derogatory. If you don't like some thing that's cool, if you do like something cool. I marched years that I disagreed with stuff in our show and believe it or not they may not be the things that are obvious but you will never here me talk about them, why? Because I learned too much in one season to focus on a few design disagreements and that's more important to me.

I don't want this thread to turn into a big debate about what I've just said, please try to stay on topic (unlike me lol). I just had to get a thing or two off my chest. It should go without saying but I'm not speaking as any kind of representation of any corps and I am just speaking from my experience. I'm not trying to feed trolls; I'm just trying to get some people to think about what they could be saying. You are completely entitled to your opinion as am I no one can take that away from us but just have some respect for those members who are going off to have the hardest summer of their life and give them atleast a little bit of encouragement, please.

Adam:

I have nothing but love for you my friend, and I have nothing but respect for what you did in 2004 with the Cadets.

Yes, I'm aware of what goes down regarding design, staff, all that stuff. But, unfortunately, Hoppy allows himself to be the face of all the changes. Therefore, he gets most of the fire. Maybe that's by design, I don't know.

I certainly don't fault the members. They have to peform what they're given to perform, and, even if I don't like the theme, style, semantics, they do a ###### good job doing it. Trust me, I know how hard it is.

However, in my mind, I cannot support the Cadets in any way because of the actions of their director. That means I leave the stands when they come onto the field. Its a shame, because I don't want to dis the kids that way, but, how else is Hoppy going to understand that if the fans aren't happy, his corps won't get support, now matter how hard the members bust their tails all day every day?

Would I discourage someone from joining The Cadets? Honestly, I can't answer that. I would probably save face and tell them that they can expect to work their rear ends off, they'll have good times and bad times, they'll face people who will tell them to their faces that they suck, no matter how good they are, but they'll ultimately be rewarded by what they'll accomplish in a short period of time. I can privately wish they'd do it with Phantom or Cavies, but I certainly wouldn't verbalize that.

I was about to post that...beat me to it.

http://www.yea.org/site/R?i=tLiRAATyCRX4377Zlsce0Q.

Now then, onto the clip....

It seems it's written awfully low...I was expecting a much higher register for the vocals, and tends to remind me of the "Lion King".

I don't know that I can fully get behind it, although it certainly has potential to be something unique this year. The more I listen to it, the less enthralled I am with it, though. I guess we still have 4 months to go...so we'll see what happens.

I like it... but I agree that I would like it MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it was written higher in the register... (PLEASE?!?!?!?)

b**bs

Alright, I listened to it.

I'm going to be objective here, because most of you already know I'm not an amp/woodwind/singing fan (22 years old and already a dinosaur!)

Obviously the intonation problems will take care of themselves over time, no worries there.

The singer is going to have to really work to get more air support to that lower register, which I'm sure the vocal coach will help her with. As it stands now it seems a bit low for her range, but again, the vocal coaching will help with that. She just needs to remember AIR AIR AIR.

To be perfectly honest this seemed like more of a chord progression/excersise than an actual tune. Lots of pretty chords going on...but very little in actual melodic content. The from-the-hip recording might have cut out some intregral stuff though, so I'll wait to pass judgement on that aspect until I hear a clean copy.

Overall, its going to be pretty, no question, I readily admit that! Do I personally like vocals in drum corps? No. But its not my corps. George should be able to run it how he likes (even if I don't agree with his method). I know when Polaris gets off the ground, many people may not like how I do things, but it'll be my place to decide.

In all, I'll watch the show. If I don't like it, I don't like it. End of story really.

I like it... but I agree that I would like it MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better if it was written higher in the register... (PLEASE?!?!?!?)

b**bs

The original is written in that lower end. I had forgotten about that. :)

Although, I do agree...I tend to favor higher-pitched female voicing myself...seems like it woudl lend itself more to the "ethereal" quality that they're trying to portray with "Through The Looking Glass".

12 pages of posts in just a few hours...

Exactly what George had in mind I'm sure! And I'm not saying there's

anything wrong with that.

As for the clip itself, I look forward to seeing how (and if) they can

pull it off.

It's interesting, but it certainly can't compare to last year's ballad,

which I feel was one of the greatest of all time. From what I heard

on the clip, this just isn't in that league.