1987 Garfield Cadets... "Visual Masterpiece"?

1987 Garfield Cadets... "Visual Masterpiece"?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Regardless of your opinion of their placement, do you consider the 1987 Garfield Cadets' show to be worthy of the label "Visual Masterpiece"?

• Saw them live or High Camera VHS and I consider that show a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Only saw them on Multicam PBS Broadcast, VHS or DVD and I consider that show a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Saw them live or High Cam VHS and I don't think it was a "Visual Masterpiece".
    • Only saw them on multicam PBS Broadcast, VHS or DVD and I don't think it was a "Visual Masterpiece".

Trivia: The hornline took ballet lessons during the season.

Y'know, I hadn't thought about that, but in order to pull off the visual part of the show, they would've HAD to have had lessons...and it shows in the final product.

The true greats have that kind of attention to detail (kinda like the actors in "Platoon" going thbrough boot camo and combat simulation so they'd have an IDEA of what it was like to be under fire)

Saturday August 8, 1987

Saint Louis MO DCI Midwest Prelims (Guess Finals was rained out?. I was there but can't remember...)

DCI Midwest finals was rained out that year. The rains came just as the Scouts hit their company front in Stars and Stripes (their closer). I was in the tunnel at (now old) Busch Stadium waiting to go on; it was raining hard enough that the water was rushing over ankle-deep in the tunnel. I think some of our (Star) contras picked up and carried some of Garfield's guard members to safety so the bottoms of their dresses wouldn't get wet. DCI scrubbed the rest of the show.

DCI Midwest finals was rained out that year. The rains came just as the Scouts hit their company front in Stars and Stripes (their closer). I was in the tunnel at (now old) Busch Stadium waiting to go on; it was raining hard enough that the water was rushing over ankle-deep in the tunnel. I think some of our (Star) contras picked up and carried some of Garfield's guard members to safety so the bottoms of their dresses wouldn't get wet. DCI scrubbed the rest of the show.

I think some of you guys carried my girlfriend. That was the one storm in all my years of marching that truly awed me. I'd seen the the incredible storms in Marion, but nothing like Busch Stadium. Prelims was the hottest show I've ever done- I remember shifting feet on the astroturf because the heat was coming through our shoes. Funny story- strong traditions about uniform etiquette and all, we finish the world's hottest prelims (the jumbotron said "141 degrees on the field!") and we come out through the tunnels and Hopkins says "Just take 'em off! Is everyone OK?" and go back to our buses. Our bus, however, has gone to get something serviced. Nobody told us. So we can't sit down in uniform, and we have no clothes to change into, so 40 coed members strip to their skivies and sit on the curb for an hour and a half. Underwear, bras and bucks. True story. And then that night, holy mackeral, that thunderstorm was unreal. I remember seeing your (Star's) circus equipment on the field just sitting there in the rain as we were pulling out of the stadium.

I have yet to see a visual move that was so awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping, tear-inducing, worthy of baby-throwing, etc. etc. as the company front at the end of that show. That, to me, is the epitome of drum corps. I love watching the contra player start at the left end of the front, high-tail it backwards, change directions to going forward and ending up at the other side of the front... George Zingali, RIP, is to drum corps what Paul is to the Catholic church. Pure, absolute genius.

wow - I didn't even realize that Spirit was scoring so well in the first part of the season. It must have been tough to end up in 10th that year!

You can say that again. Ending up 10th still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Really. :grouphug:

That was the storm to end all storms. Actually Jeff, if you remember we had most of the Garfield Guard in our arms. If I remember correctly it was there button-up shoes they were worried about. We all took shelter in the tunnel, but then a little water trickled down. Within minutes it was racing across our shoes. But there was no where else to go. So there alot of their guard rode out the storm in the Star members arms swapping Zingali and Sylvester stories. Good times.

The storm in St. Louis is part of Madison lore- the mother of all downpours at the perfect part of the show!

I saw the Garfield show for the first time (down low) that afternoon at prelims, and then again (middle right) at DCI prelims, and (upper deck) at Finals. Definately a masterpiece of flow, music, and design.

I remember asking Greg Orwoll for a prediction on SCV over Garfield Saturday afternoon (we had a seasons end picnic), and he hadn't seen the show. He said (loose quote- it has been 19 years!) that he avoided watching the show before finals, because he knew how great it was, and wanted to see it only once, in the last performance. It struck me, after years of time in the activity, that it was cool that he could still be a fan of the activity!

forgive me for jumping in here. I normally read but not post. I was a member of the Garfield Guard in 87 I remember the storm but I do not remember any of us getting carried. I must be getting old. I know it was a concern for our jazz boots if they got wet because they were falling apart by the end of the summer. On the other hand I think Peggy Twiggs would of killed us if she saw us getting carried. Maybe it was just a few girls. or I totally lost my memory. Can some one try to refresh it for me.

thanks

Deft:

Usually you and I agree on all things color guard...I have to disagree with you just this once.

For some reason, I've never liked SCV...and everyone raves about SCV's 87 show, but it did nothing for me!

I liked the clean, unfettered, uncluttered way that Cadets executed their show. SCV's was too much props and too much stuff going on on the field. And (and I'll be crucified for this), I thought the wizard was just hokey.

Yes, I know...sacriledge!