DCPI - Live Season -- Brainstorming Thread

I've drawn up a theoretical schedule, for the directors' consideration. It can be viewed here:

http://www.freewebs.com/fanfaredcpi/proposedschedule.htm

Briefly, I expanded the Pacific tour to include a couple shows in Australia and New Zealand. There's also a 2-week Europe tour with stops in Dublin, Berlin, London, Manchester, Monaco and Barcelona, as well as a couple others.

As far as the regular season shows go, many old favorites are there from past seasons, some of which have been missing for a while (Virginia Beach, Fort Worth, Terre Haute, Baton Rouge, Rome NY, Bloomington, etc). I cut out many of the shows that have had historically poor attendance in past seasons (ie many of the smaller Minnesota shows and the western Canadian shows, with 1 exception) because it just doesn't feel competitive if you're the only corps at that show. I also brought in several shows off the DCI calendar in their place (Lisle IL, Pasco WA, Jacksonville AL, Dothan AL, Frisco TX, Broken Arrow OK just to name a few). I've been uploading pictures for a while and I expect to have that done by tomorrow afternoon.

I set the "Preview of Champions" event at the end of the 4th week of the season, after the regional finals are complete. From there, the schedule mirrors the DCI national tour with 3 regionals in San Antonio, Atlanta and Columbus OH before heading to Madison for Finals. Additionally, the Div 2/3 focus shows are on the same day as the D1 regionals, but in different venues in those cities. This will eliminate having regionals way out in the middle of nowhere with no possible way to get to them and back (no offense to the residents of Kingman AZ :P).

Bottom line, it's a lot more structured and a lot more efficient. I'd love to hear everybody's feedback on this :)

Edited by Galen

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've drawn up a theoretical schedule, for the directors' consideration. It can be viewed here:

Briefly, I expanded the Pacific tour to include a couple shows in Australia and New Zealand. There's also a 2-week Europe tour with stops in Dublin, Berlin, London, Manchester, Monaco and Barcelona, as well as a couple others.

As far as the regular season shows go, many old favorites are there from past seasons, some of which have been missing for a while (Virginia Beach, Fort Worth, Terre Haute, Baton Rouge, Rome NY, Bloomington, etc). I cut out many of the shows that have had historically poor attendance in past seasons (ie many of the smaller Minnesota shows and the western Canadian shows, with 1 exception) because it just doesn't feel competitive if you're the only corps at that show. I also brought in several shows off the DCI calendar in their place (Lisle IL, Pasco WA, Jacksonville AL, Dothan AL, Frisco TX, Broken Arrow OK just to name a few). I've been uploading pictures for a while and I expect to have that done by tomorrow afternoon.

I set the "Preview of Champions" event at the end of the 4th week of the season, after the regional finals are complete. From there, the schedule mirrors the DCI national tour with 3 regionals in San Antonio, Atlanta and Columbus OH before heading to Madison for Finals. Additionally, the Div 2/3 focus shows are on the same day as the D1 regionals, but in different venues in those cities. This will eliminate having regionals way out in the middle of nowhere with no possible way to get to them and back (no offense to the residents of Kingman AZ :P).

Bottom line, it's a lot more structured and a lot more efficient. I'd love to hear everybody's feedback on this :)

When will DCP-I Masters of the Music Games be held?

BTW is it just me, or is freewebs not working?

Here's something that can go into effect after the live season.

Top 25 corps that advance to DIV 1 Quarterfinals from Prelims (or 2/3 semis) will attomatically be Div 1 for the next season.

Any DIV 1 corps that goes inactive for more than 2 years, have to compete in Div 1 upon return.

Top 5 corps at Div 1 Finals will advance to the Super Division. They'll compete as DIV 1 corps but will particiapte in special shows during the season. They will have to host one div 1 show and onw div 2/3 show during the season.

Fell free to add more. It makes a little realistic and more fun.

All good ideas. But there are only a select few corps from D2 that advance to prelims each year, so that really doesn't do much for us. And I dont think we can force them to be D1, but I like that idea. If they have proven they can handle D2, they may as well do D1.

The last idea is similar to one that George has in mind now... interesting, but it kinda takes away the competition, and if you divide D1 into a super division, you are pretty much allowing mediocre directors to "win" with little effort. No one, take offense to that. But if you see where I am going, it really makes sense.

When will DCP-I Masters of the Music Games be held?

BTW is it just me, or is freewebs not working?

Freewebs has been acting goofy all night, it seems.

DCPI Masters of the Summer Music Games will take place in Murfreesboro TN, the day before the Columbus OH regional (July 27th or 28 is the date, I believe).

Hey are we still considering having Regional D1 corps for this season?

Is this using the main D1 schedule or will there just Regional shows?

I am asking since we are finalizing a deal to bring on a new D1 corps with the Star Organization.

For a first year - first season I'd rather have them compete only at a Regional level if possible.

Good question, Mitch. The way I've always envisioned Regional D1's operating is having fewer points than D1 (but more than D2) and only being able to do 15-20 shows per season (which would translate to only doing shows on Thursday-Sunday, or something to that effect), but we'd need Steve to clarify that.

Hey are we still considering having Regional D1 corps for this season?

Is this using the main D1 schedule or will there just Regional shows?

I am asking since we are finalizing a deal to bring on a new D1 corps with the Star Organization.

For a first year - first season I'd rather have them compete only at a Regional level if possible.

Good question, Mitch. The way I've always envisioned Regional D1's operating is having fewer points than D1 (but more than D2) and only being able to do 15-20 shows per season (which would translate to only doing shows on Thursday-Sunday, or something to that effect), but we'd need Steve to clarify that.

I visioned it the same way. Except, I also thought that Regional corps could stay regional, and "fly out" to regionals if they wished. I'm going to have a regional corps myself (if this passes), and I think I will have them do Thursday-Saturday shows as well. I think you can pretty much setup your regional schedule as you wish.

Ok, the schedule is now completely uploaded and should be viewable here:

If there are still problems with Freewebs, PM me and I'll send you a copy of the Excel sheet.

Steve's said it would.