Hop's Ideas Re-examined...

I think your right, You don't need a top six corps to have a successful Drum Corps show.

How many people would travel/fly to Murfreesboro to see the top 8 division II/III corps?

Florida is hot in June.

The artical does not dicuss geographical disparity. I thought DCI paid corps more to travel long distances.

I live near Murfreesboro and I can tell you

It would be A LOT.......

TN loves drum corps

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes no sense.

Then reread what I said. Two activities that are subsets of the same genre. Definitely two distinct activities. Are they two completely different activities? I would say not. Maybe we are disagreeing on the semantics?

Then reread what I said.

I did, and the bottom line is - "different" and "distinct" mean EXACTLY the same thing.

Dictionary.com - definition for "different": "Distinct or separate"

So once again - your statement makes no sense. Something cannot be "distinct" but not "different" or "different" but not "distinct". Both words mean EXACTLY the same thing.

Maybe we are disagreeing on the semantics?

Not "we". YOU and the dictionary are who the semantics disagreement is between. Unfortunately for you, the dictionary is right.

Edited by torn8o

I did, and the bottom line is - "different" and "distinct" mean EXACTLY the same thing.

Dictionary.com - definition for "different": "Distinct or separate"

So once again - your statement makes no sense. Something cannot be "distinct" but not "different" or "different" but not "distinct". Both words mean EXACTLY the same thing.

dis·tinct Audio pronunciation of "Distinct" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-stngkt)

adj.

1. Readily distinguishable from all others; discrete: on two distinct occasions.

2. Easily perceived by the senses or intellect; clear: a distinct flavor.

3. Clearly defined; unquestionable: at a distinct disadvantage.

4. Very likely; probable: There is a distinct possibility that she won't come.

5. Notable: a distinct honor and high privilege.

[Middle English, past participle of distincten, to distinguish, discern, from Old French destincter, from Latin distnctus, past participle of distinguere, to distinguish. See distinguish.]dis·tinctly adv.

dis·tinctness n.

Synonyms: distinct, discrete, separate, several

These adjectives mean distinguished from others in nature or qualities: 12 distinct colors; a company with six discrete divisions; a problem consisting of two separate issues; performed several steps of the process. See also synonyms at apparent

Usage Note: A thing is distinct if it is sharply distinguished from other things; a property or attribute is distinctive if it enables us to distinguish one thing from another. The warbler is not a distinct species means that the warbler is not a clearly defined type of bird. The pine warbler has a distinctive song means that the pine warbler's song enables us to distinguish it from all other birds, including other warblers.

edit* from dictionary.com

Edited by tplaya1

dis·tinct Audio pronunciation of "Distinct" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-stngkt)

adj.

1. Readily distinguishable from all others; discrete: on two distinct occasions.

2. Easily perceived by the senses or intellect; clear: a distinct flavor.

3. Clearly defined; unquestionable: at a distinct disadvantage.

4. Very likely; probable: There is a distinct possibility that she won't come.

5. Notable: a distinct honor and high privilege.

[Middle English, past participle of distincten, to distinguish, discern, from Old French destincter, from Latin distnctus, past participle of distinguere, to distinguish. See distinguish.]dis·tinctly adv.

dis·tinctness n.

Synonyms: distinct, discrete, separate, several

These adjectives mean distinguished from others in nature or qualities: 12 distinct colors; a company with six discrete divisions; a problem consisting of two separate issues; performed several steps of the process. See also synonyms at apparent

Usage Note: A thing is distinct if it is sharply distinguished from other things; a property or attribute is distinctive if it enables us to distinguish one thing from another. The warbler is not a distinct species means that the warbler is not a clearly defined type of bird. The pine warbler has a distinctive song means that the pine warbler's song enables us to distinguish it from all other birds, including other warblers.

edit* from dictionary.com

Uh huh? And go back to dictionary.com now and look up "different" and you will see the word "distinct". Are you saying that dictionary.com disagrees with itself then? I don't think so. In fact, the closer you read what you just posted - the more it agrees with my point that different and distinct mean the same thing.

So back to the point of the discussion - NO! The two activities cannot be "distinct" but not "different". They are different. They are distinct.

Edited by torn8o

Uh huh? And go back to dictionary.com now and look up "different" and you will see the word "distinct". Are you saying that dictionary.com disagrees with itself then? I don't think so. In fact, the closer you read what you just posted - the more it agrees with my point that different and distinct mean the same thing.

So back to the point of the discussion - NO! The two activities cannot be "distinct" but not "different". They are different. They are distinct.

Distinct and different are two different things :)

Something can be distinct but not different

Madison and BD are two DISTINCT corps, they have their own identity that makes them who they are, but they are BOTH still drum corps.

It's all in how you look at it and is a dumb thing to argue about. Let's agree to disagree boys

WOW!! The things people on this board argue about is nothing short of amazing

Distinct and different are two different things :)

Take it up with dictionary.com then because apparently - that site disagrees with you.

Dude, the two words are synonymous. Plain and simple. You are trying to hyper-philosophy something that is FACTUAL. Sorry, you can't do that. Case closed.

Edited by torn8o

<**> <**> <**> Torn8o, what a waste of space all your posts about definitions have been. Dictionary.com defines words, but the person who used it clarified how the post was to be taken. Thank you for drawing out another argument about nothing. <**> <**> <**>

Edited by PhantomFanT10

<**> <**> <**> Torn8o, what a waste of space all your posts about definitions have been. Dictionary.com defines words, but the person who used it clarified how the post was to be taken. Thank you for drawing out another argument about nothing. <**> <**> <**>

Oh well.

Even if we they added woodwinds, according to most...it would still be called drum corps (I'm not arguing with you, just playing devils advocate ...ergo the "we haven't played on bugles since forever" argument).

I thought that the name change idea and the instrument proposal were tied together as well...but the more I look at it, the more I think the nomenclature is more about trying to establish an identity to the consumer and viewer.

I think instrumentation is a seperate issue...one that I don't agree with, either. However, I posted this to try to get those who are totally at odds with him to see that there's a lot of commonality in the thought process.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew. :P

So, when drum corps allows woodwinds, and the average "joe" off the street asks what's the difference between a drum corps and a marching band...what's the answer?