Hop's Ideas Re-examined...

the majority needed isnt in place.

yet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If woodwinds ever go through, I'm pretty sure it will be.

That goes without saying. :P

But, man...you think these neverending arguments are bad now...that day, if it comes, will break DCP in half. ^0^

Edited by bawker

As I understand it...and I could very well be wrong...David Gibbs from BD is also for it, or at least open to it.

mmmmMMMM???? I've heard differing statments on that. Perhaps. I would be real careful to check the context though. I know Mr. Gibbs and am a huge supporter of what he does and I kind of think that a lot of what he has said in the past has been taken out of context - where in contrast Mr. Hopkins' statements have been pretty easy to take at face value.

Edited by torn8o

There was a post on the Blue Devils forums...circa around 2001, where he commented on missing the saxes from some jazz tunes...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.ma...ad7d375d654f7e0

edit: here it is...

Yeah, I remember seeing that. I think I happened to read it right about the time it was posted. Notice though, it was in the context of the corps going exhibition only for a year - not changing the rules of the drum corps activity. I'm not worried about it.

I'd quicker think it's just another excuse to have the freedom to include woodwinds because - if it's not CALLED "drum corps", it doesn't have to be "drum corps". Which, as I have stated before is the ONLY evolutionary place I don't ever want this activity to go. The "wind ensemble/concert band" is exactly my argument on why we DON'T need to make this a band activity. We have orchestras. We have concert bands/wind ensembles. I like that BOTH exist because they are unique in character. We have marching band and we have drum corps. I like that BOTH exist because they are unique in character. To merge the two would be suicide on the activity.

You're thinking to hard into it. It's pretty clear what he's trying to say.

So, when drum corps allows woodwinds, and the average "joe" off the street asks what's the difference between a drum corps and a marching band...what's the answer?

The average Joe already thinks they are the same thing...and rightly so, IMO.

The average Joe already thinks they are the same thing...and rightly so, IMO.

Some average Joes also think that an orchestra and concert band/wind ensemble are the same thing. Does that mean that his assumption is "rightly so"? NO!

Some average Joes also think that an orchestra and concert band/wind ensemble are the same thing. Does that mean that his assumption is "rightly so"? NO!

OK. What does that have to do with my post? I never said anything about orchestras and concert bands being the same thing.