DCA Mid-America 2007

The way to truly make sure that DCA continues to grow? Make sure your corps is doing all that it can to grow and survive (whether it makes you super competitive right out of the gate or not), bring as much exposure to DCA in your local community as you can (free public performances, media, hosting a show, relationships to schools and community performing groups), and at least once a year, do one thing that is going to make your region or DCA stronger, even if it comes at a sacrafice to your corps (doing a show for free, travelling out of state). That is something EVERY corps needs to do, and many do, and some do not

:huh::blink::rock:

And these are the EXACT things that we are planning at MCL this year. It's like you sat in on some of our board meetings, Chris... b**bs

Edited by Reed

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 open class finalists are not from the NE. All 3 class finalists are not from the NE. Just schedule the #### show! Make it the best show it can be, then go to finals and take another spot away from a NE corps! 20 years from now, we'll all be b!tch!ing about the Mexico City show and why we shouldn't have to leave the south! ^0^

4 open class finalists are not from the NE. All 3 class finalists are not from the NE. Just schedule the #### show! Make it the best show it can be, then go to finals and take another spot away from a NE corps! 20 years from now, we'll all be b!tch!ing about the Mexico City show and why we shouldn't have to leave the south! ^0^

w/Stp:

Thank you Scott for pointing out what the thread was about.

I never said anything about NE corps coming to this show or not coming to this show. It was a simple question about what corps "might" be interested in attending.

Thank you Scott for pointing out what the thread was about.

I never said anything about NE corps coming to this show or not coming to this show. It was a simple question about what corps "might" be interested in attending.

sorry if your thread got Hijacked.

You said a LARGE show.I just assumed that you wanted to bring in some heavy hitters and I was just pointing out what it traditionally takes to bring in the heavy hitters/

No one asked me, but here's my opinion:

I don't care if NE corps go anywhere, it should be 100% completely up to them.

Midwest/South/West/Etc. Should strive to put on the best shows they can, and put it out there at DCA meetings and such, and if a corps from outside the area wants to come, then we should do our best to make it the best experience for them.

a DCA show doesn't need any specific corps to be successful. If the non-NE corps would work to improve their own region and its corps, we can be just as successful or more. Most of us are in a position to expose people to an activity (all-age) they have never seen before. Maybe they've never heard of a DCA corps, don't know who won, etc. Then they are coming just to be entertained.

With more non-NE corps making it to Finals status, the NE shows can't have as many finalist corps in their shows. Renegades and MBI shouldn't have to be at a show in Maine for it to be successful, so why should having Hawthorne or Reading in a show in Utah be required for it to be successful?

So advertise the show, but let corps do what they afford to do and what their members want (some corps want to travel, some don't), but let's not require corps do beyond what they can afford

(now I am not mentioning anything about Championships, that is a totally different and complex issue to me)

bingo. now, for the record i have been a huge fan of non NE corps and am amazed at the sacrifice they make just to get to finals. But, as you said, you guys are in areas that dont have much if any exposure to DCA corps. That's not your fault, it's just how it is.

now, by that token, should DCA just order corps to go to those shows just because? Sure, and see DCi and their touring models as to how successful that will be. I applaud the fans that went to NC from the NE last year...a bunch did.....including some of us bashed on here as being anti non NE corps( like me, and my favorite DCA corps the last 8 years has been MBI).

here's the key to making it work...build your regions. look..who would have pictured DCA-S or DCA-C 5 years ago?

did CV or heatwave like hauling ### up here a few times a yeat to get numbers? no, and i dont blame them but yet they did...why? because sometimes, in order to make change, you yourself have to bend a little. do you walk into a new job and demand changes just because you are there? uh not if you want to keep your job.

patience is needed here. DCA is new to this...senior corps have exploded at a rate that even DCI, a true national organization would have trouble keeping up with.

and sometimes, like i see in this post and in others, you have to shrug, deal, and work together to make changes happen. just because there are new corps from outside of what was has been DCA's area for30 years doesnt mean they have to bend over backwards to accomodate you...and, IMO, i think in the last 3 years, they have worked very hard...and in a smart way...to make all feel welcome.

I agree completely Chris. This is what should happen. I don't think anyone want a requirement that corps from the NE travel or that they need to be there in order for these shows to succeed. It's more about the attitude that a large percentage (not all) of their members have toward outside (Southern, in particular) corps. As if they feel that only the NE should be allowed to have Drum Corps due to the fact that most of them are there already. This is a WORLDWIDE activity and ALL corps in ALL parts should be welcomed as they only serve to grow the activity and bring in MORE FANS.

I happen to be a fan of many NE corps and I know that MCL hopes to someday be worthy of joining their ranks in Finals.

you would be surprised how many non NE people think as you say.

I agree, but we the non-NE need to let it go as well.

We all need to start working together and not put so much pressure on each other

Everyone has to step up their game, the NE corps to not lose their competitive stature to a non-NE corps, the non-NE struggling to bring corps to communities that rarely (if ever) have had them, etc.

The days of having to go to a NE show (for a non-NE corps) are quickly going away, though some (and non-NE are part of the problem) are trying their best to hold onto them.

The way to truly make sure that DCA continues to grow? Make sure your corps is doing all that it can to grow and survive (whether it makes you super competitive right out of the gate or not), bring as much exposure to DCA in your local community as you can (free public performances, media, hosting a show, relationships to schools and community performing groups), and at least once a year, do one thing that is going to make your region or DCA stronger, even if it comes at a sacrafice to your corps (doing a show for free, travelling out of state). That is something EVERY corps needs to do, and many do, and some do not

:beer::unsure::blush::beer::beer:

You will be glad to know I have been practicing 2 hours a day everyday for the past month.Ive got a large chunk of the music memorized and the rest of it,,I just need some help getting it under my fingers.

IF I had some drill charts I would be at the high school learning my spots.

:P

You know...LESSONS are also available...for a small fee. Only perhaps for you...a LARGE fee. :P Talk to Vinnie first of course, if he don't want cha...sigh...I might be willing to...grits teeth...humor you. :P :unsure:

Edited by torn8o

sorry if your thread got Hijacked.

You said a LARGE show.I just assumed that you wanted to bring in some heavy hitters and I was just pointing out what it traditionally takes to bring in the heavy hitters/

Not so much hijacked, just a bit off the center of the subject. But thats part of the problem. I mean, a subject comes up about a non NE show, and all the non NE corps do is complain about is that the NE corps won't come. It comes down to this - who gives a crap if they come, people in KY and TN for that matter don't really know who they are anyway. This region is drum corps crazy, but all they really know is DCI. Why is this? Because there aren't ANY DCA shows.

And Ed, I would like to think there can be more heavy hitting non NE corps by 2007.

I thank you for pointing out what brings the big dogs out, but that is simply - $$$$$ brings them out. I would be more willing to shell out money to a corps that wants to come, but needs the help to make a 2000 mile trip. Especially if that corps is fighting the same battle we are. I wouldn't beg anyone to come, and would be prefectly happy with the corps that are interested and nearby.