Star 93

Just to keep the positive vibe of this thread going, I'd like to add:

Hey! At least we kept this thread going for a couple of weeks, instead of starting yet another Star 93 thread.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In essence, the farm system has changed from small home town corps to marching bands.

I like that point. Coming from the high school program that I did, I think it certainly helps to explain why the overall number of corps has dropped each decade. Marching bands, certainly the competitive kind, seem to be filling much of that same role.

I like that point. Coming from the high school program that I did, I think it certainly helps to explain why the overall number of corps has dropped each decade. Marching bands, certainly the competitive kind, seem to be filling much of that same role.

The difference is that most of the time, kids can do both (march band and corps). But if you chose to march a Top 12 corps over a non-Top 12 corps, the non-Top 12 corps lost out.

Kind of veering off-topic a bit, but it was always interesting to me the number of junior corps members who, as soon as the DCI season ended, joined up with one of the senior corps. I always wondered how much the membership rolls of senior corps expanded after the DCI season was over.

Anyway, back to the thread...Star 93 rocks...especially the mid-voices!

Thanks, dude. We weren't bad, all in all. ;-)

The 'Star Mystic' blinds people to the fact of what a special group of kids and instructors were involved in Star. We were a family and still are. In fact I would bet we are tighter then many other alumni simply because we had such a unique and special experience in Star. Maybe it is not Community as you define it, but it is something, and something really cool. It is a reflection of what we were taught and who we were.......and still are.

Well Said...rebbeh!!

Not exactly on topic, but it is my sad duty to report that the T.L.Brown School aka. 'StarBase' is for lease.

http://www.homefinder.org/buy/buy-details....0724&sCRecord=1

It was the only home the Star of Indiana ever knew. At least the Alumni got to say goodbye to it in 04'. There were alot of good-times in that building. Seems like only yesterday was move-in day. At least it looks like they are trying to keep it in one piece. The suburbs are creeping in and I thought it would be torn down and the property broken up for housing. Any drum corps need a new home?

I would never denegrate the work or the experience of the kids - they got the best, and I hope they enjoyed it! I was with 2 corps that lost great instructors to Star (Chaz Anderson and John Simpson), and I only wish MORE kids were exposed to their influence, in the end.

I don't doubt that Mr Cook had nothing but the best intentions, but you could compare him to Henry Ford - who could have fortold that the "mass production" car and all that entails would lead us to possible extinction? I'm sure Mr Ford also had the best intentions.

I don't doubt that Mr Cook had nothing but the best intentions, but you could compare him to Henry Ford - who could have fortold that the "mass production" car and all that entails would lead us to possible extinction? I'm sure Mr Ford also had the best intentions.

Isn't that a bit of a stretch?? All Cook did was to do what a LOT of us have always said we'd do if we hit the lottery.

Why is it OK for us to fantasize about it, but wrong for him to actually have the resources AND actually do it??

Bill Cook did not contribute to the corps that folded after he brought Star to the field...in factm as has been stated numerous times, he helped quite a few of them....they had their own problems that killed them....which werte not of Cook's doing.

I would never denegrate the work or the experience of the kids - they got the best, and I hope they enjoyed it! I was with 2 corps that lost great instructors to Star (Chaz Anderson and John Simpson), and I only wish MORE kids were exposed to their influence, in the end.

You've really got some issues, don't you? :peek:

Oh well, it's all good.

Tony

I guess I'm not being very clear.

I don't have issues with any of what Cook did, or what Star did. I think the Star story is instructive - a good exemplar of what has happened to the activity. I agree with Byline. The bigger is better/win at all costs mentality infected corps generally (and the kids specifically) when DCI telecasts hit the air, and all the little corps were sucked dry. The fact that Star sprung to life fully formed, and DID entice instructors away from other corps with considerable increases in cash has made them a lightening rod for criticism of this trend.

I think many people are concerned with the dwindling number of corps, shows, etc. and see the end of drum corps coming (I personally think its already over - just youth band in summer - but that's not so bad). What are all these people seeing/discussing? Their own issues? Why is DCI turning back flips, trying to become BOA summer games?

The point is, it's not the kids, it's not the instructors, it's not the faciities, it's not the equipment that made Star unique (they made Star great - unforgetable - no one is disputing that!)- it was that Star was playing a fundamentally different game on the business end. This was in the early 80's - a long time ago - and I've watched it play out. I predicted at the time that Star would be temporary, that they'd not last 20 years, and I was right. Did they make a dent? obviously. Did the kids have a great experience? absolutely! Are they an example of a great organization? That's the debate. Could any other corps operate that way?