1978 legacy

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also played Children of Sanchez in 1979.

According to Corpsreps 8 corps played it in 1979

Bleu Raeders

Blue Stars

Eye-Openers

North Star

Sundowners

Cavaliers

The Cadets

Bengal Lancers

1978 dvd - agree about the quality, poorly done, but glad to have a record of my year.

The year itself - all I remember is being on an roller coaster that year, good improvement in scores at one show, then knocked on our ### at the next one, even tho our performances were consistent. We thought we had a finalist caliber show, but because of the crazy way scoring had gone for us that year it was anybody's guess til the prelims scores were posted. I was so happy we made it. Still kick myself for not sticking around another year (79) and being in the corps for a 7th place finish.

• 1 month later...

Kilties had the best Paggliacci! ( I know... was '77, but it came up earlier).

Phantom's was too sterile for my liking - Kilts had some real emotion especially solos. Bridgemen were in between, IMHO.

I may a tape of '78 Scouts from Whitewater (pre-season). Wasn't there like a judges preview weekend or something? I know I recorded it. I have been meaning to digitize my 25 year old cassette tapes for some time. Never get around to it. I hope I can still find them.

I may a tape of '78 Scouts from Whitewater (pre-season). Wasn't there like a judges preview weekend or something? I know I recorded it. I have been meaning to digitize my 25 year old cassette tapes for some time. Never get around to it. I hope I can still find them.

<==was probably at that show!!!! B)

:sshh:

Yes, he did look very uncomfortable, and kept shaking his hand back and forth trying to figure out what to say about our guard and so many uniforms. But what he said was true, you do lose a continuity....we had 20 red jackets in 77 & 78. I thought he handled it well.

If I remember correctly he did the live show 76 as well. Don't remember if or who he was teaching then.

He was good to us that night. He said something like it was our strongest show to date, considering we had just had a major change in drill a couple of weeks ago...something along those lines. And the horn line seemed to be projected far beyond their usual capacity.....

It was funny to see a St. Anythony's, Everett, MA guard member in the background when he was talking. I don't remember if they were still saluting what presentation were left by 76 or being runners but thruout our whole show there were American Flag presentations of some sort for the 200 year anniversary, I think that's why we did about 5 presentations to the flag. We did have an honor guard on the #2 side, but we also had an American Flag come out during certain times in the show......it was a good thing......

Anything was better than Gene Rayburn saying about 27th, "It's good to see these kids doing something constructive. They could be out ripping off hubcaps". In Revere?? Cars don't have any hubcaps in Revere! What was he talking about?

<==was probably at that show!!!! B)

<--- was definetly in that show... we took 8th place with a 72.95 (Guardsmen)

My first post. At the end of a very long string that probably is dead anyway. But, 78 was my age out year and I remember it like it was only a few years ago. I was in Kilties and we busted our ##### all summer. We lost the corps director halfway through and changed closers. 78 was the first year that drill could start on the field and it was fun.

I was in the guard and still teach and judge color guard today. A decent High School could do any corps flag work now days. Rifle would be different, but its so directy it would be hard for most guards to handle the amount of "double fast" groups did back then.

The thing I always bring up, is that Kilties were the spoiler. We kept Cavies, Garfield Cadets, and Freelancers from making finals with hard hard work.

:sshh:

Anything was better than Gene Rayburn saying about 27th, "It's good to see these kids doing something constructive. They could be out ripping off hubcaps". In Revere?? Cars don't have any hubcaps in Revere! What was he talking about?

True that JH. Good one as usual! :lol: I always loved your comic relief!

Oh, and WELCOME Spinner!!!! So you must have spun with Michael Dorangricia, or was he already in Revere by the time you aged out?

It's funny alot of the 2-7 people we've been discussing this last week all work in the same building for the same company. It's like a drum corps Twilight Zone!!!