The Blue Knights are unpopular

Thanks for much for posting, your insight is very much appreciated. Very interesting stuff, and it'd be cool to hear a non-semis recording of the show. Especially interesting about the drum solo...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The baritones had an awesome run at 10:21; there's an amazing soprano gliss at 3:42; the battery has a mixed-meter section at one point in the 3rd number that I love; the 8 counts of drill at 7:18 into the show are the best....etc. I understand that people are pointing out their favorite moments in BK's shows in an attempt to prove just how good this corps can be but, therein, lies a problem for me -- not only with BK but many other corps. I need more than isolated moments to enjoy a show. It takes more than a single chord or mellophone run or timpani roll to pull me in. I can almost always find something to like in just about every show I see, but many of those shows -- as total packages -- leave me wanting. BK has always been a very competent corps with a great deal of talent and, over the years, they've had some great moments. But I've never particularly liked a whole show; I've never gotten excited about the total production.

Jared, good post. I've also noticed the fact that BK seems very underrepresented here on DCP. Perhaps that leads to some overlooking them, their shows just aren't getting the same attention.

The 9:30 mark in the 1999 show is some of my favorite stuff ever, both music and drill. The 2003 show had one of my favorite openers ever with Kaval Sviri. Yeah, I'm definitely a Blue Knights fan. :)

Just realized now that I still have that show on my computer, and hadn't heard it in a while. I personally really enjoy from around 8 minutes into the show, to the end. The melody in the Partita for Orchestra, as played by the low brass and later by the sop quartet, was absolutely gorgeous. I also like the ending; that was great use of effectively staged symmetrical drill at the end of the show.....another one of their signature qualities.

I actually don't know anyone who doesn't like the intro in '03; even my friends who competed against them that season and don't even like the Blue Knights, love that opener.

w/Stp: many poked fun, but the dots were a BK identity, and i loved em :) the current unis are too bland, nothing really jumping out at you.

Yup.....love the dots and the guy who yelled out on finals night in Denver (2004) to the DM "Thanks for bringing back the dots".......the people around me started cracking up....and I nearly chocked on my soda..... :P

But to answer the questions posed.......I really haven't dug many of the Blue Knight shows either. My favorite two shows from them are from 1991 and 2001. I agree with a previous poster that they really don't hit you over the head with anything. Their show selections seem very status quo and safe. The quality of the corps through the years has been really good. The members have done great work.

I think the following corps are similar (aka detached) ,

BK

Glassmen

Pacific Crest

Southwind

Seattle

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte

Yup.....love the dots and the guy who yelled out on finals night in Denver (2004) to the DM "Thanks for bringing back the dots".......the people around me started cracking up....and I nearly chocked on my soda..... :P

But to answer the questions posed.......I really haven't dug many of the Blue Knight shows either. My favorite two shows from them are from 1991 and 2001. I agree with a previous poster that they really don't hit you over the head with anything. Their show selections seem very status quo and safe. The quality of the corps through the years has been really good. The members have done great work.

I think the following corps are similar (aka detached) ,

BK

Glassmen

Pacific Crest

Southwind

Seattle

Triple Forte

I wouldn't put Glassmen or Southwind in that group, but that's a very interesting point though. Pacific Crest IS kind of a like a different version of BK; I hadn't ever really thought about that. Seattle....I want to tell you that I feel otherwise, but I don't really have any reasons to justify that, so perhaps you're onto something.

Has Anyone seen 1994, wow what a drill and to tell you, i think they shold of been 5th or 6th. That was my fav of the Two Triittco shows.

I agree. This show ranks high for me as one of my favorites from them, behind 2001. The drill in '94 was good, but ####, that bass drum line was playing some wicked stuff and was incredibly clean.

Edited by mbird139

Quite frankly, I have always found their music to be boring. Year after year. I don't really know why,

but I suspect it has something to do with the brass arranging. The percussion books seem decent.

Guard work is great. Drill work seems okay.

They lack fire in the playing. When I hear a Blue Knights recording, I'm listening to something clinical. I sometimes

wonder if there is any adrenaline at work in the horns. I have felt this way consistantly over at least 10 years.

I can only make it 2 minutes into the CD of any year's finals performance before my mind starts wandering.

So yeah, I don't mean to sound negative or like a jerk or anything. I'm just being honest. For me, the problem with

their popularity stems from the horn books, and their execution. Give up a little cleanliness for a little volume, a little power,

a little bit of frosting. *shrug*

my 2 cents.

Something I just noticed now, for the first time. Listen to the mellos at 2:04 in the 2002 show, and also at 2:41. They play excerpts from Shostakovich's 10th symphony (2nd mvmt.), and from his Festive Overture. Very interesting, how the arranger threw those snippets in there. Did anyone else notice?

I also love what they did with the first movement of his 10th in their 1998 show, as an intro. :)

Something I just noticed now, for the first time. Listen to the mellos at 2:04 in the 2002 show, and also at 2:41. They play excerpts from Shostakovich's 10th symphony (2nd mvmt.), and from his Festive Overture. Very interesting, how the arranger threw those snippets in there. Did anyone else notice?

I hear the Festive, but I don't hear anything special at 2:04...