Old vs. Young

i think that no matter the generation, age, era, whatnot, that we all can agree that we love drum corps for what it is, has been, and will be.

or else we wouldnt be here talking...

:D

:worthy: And in 20 years, you'll be one of the "olde phartes" comparing your era to DC in 2026. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps today can be interesting to watch but I find it can lack the pure entertaiment value that it once had. I realize this is a competitive activity, but there must be a way to be both competitive and fun to watch. I do miss the loudness drum corps once had. I miss how there were way more corps back in the day. I miss VK, (hated when I marched), Bridgeman and 27th (who were both entertaining and top 3).

I realize that things change and I am glad that drum corps is still around and people love it, but there is nothing wrong with fondly remembering the past.

Cuts both ways, in my opinion.

By the standards of the DCI/junior corps side of DCP, I'm an "old-timer"..... been around drum corps in one way or another (spectator, marcher, PA announcer, etc.) since 1967 or so... even though I'm "only" 47 (going on 48 soon).

Personally, while I am partial to the DCA/all-age side of the activity (since it's where I've spent most of my time since the late 1970's), I enjoy watching the DCI corps perform as well.... and I'm just very glad that after all these years, drum corps... in whatever shape or form it has taken over the years... is still around to enjoy!

Yes, it bothers me when a "youngster" comes on here and trashes/bashes/puts down our "back in the day" perspective. And it REALLY bothes me when someone who has never seen a senior/all-age corps, and has no idea what that side of the activity is all about, comes on here and bashes away.

But it also very much bothers me when someone from a senior/all-age corps, or alumni corps, comes on DCP and bashes modern-day junior corps, especially for the reason of "well, it simply was better back in my day."

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I suppose, but... simply because we "old-timers" had a good experience "back in the day" doesn't mean that modern-day corps (especially junior corps) is to be dismissed out of hand as something not worth our time.

I've said this before...... to me, the "core" of the drum corps activity remains the same now as it always has been.....the corps members having a good experience, getting a chance to perform in front of the fans who come out to see them, and forming some lifelong friendships/relationships along the way.

Just my opinion. I wish EVERY corps.... junior, all-age, alumni, whatever... the best in 2006 and beyond!

Fran

Took the words right out of my mouth. Here here!

To enjoy all drum corps, no matter what year or age, is a gift. You can take it under scrutiny if you want, but in the end...we are all the same people. We all perform, share the same hardships, play instruments (that dont always work,) and deal with corps members we may not enjoy.

Though we may have our differences, we really are very similiar. In the same respect, just because you wear blue instead of purple doesnt mean you cant be friends. And let me finish this "let's all hug and be friends," post by saying I love drum corps!

Edited by marchinalong8

Drum corps today can be interesting to watch but I find it can lack the pure entertaiment value that it once had.

IMO drum corps is just as entertaining as ever, if not more so. Some might make you think a bit...while others are just straight ahead enjoyment.

I realize this is a competitive activity, but there must be a way to be both competitive and fun to watch.

Most corps are fun to watch, IMO, be it the top 4 or corps that missed finals.

I do miss the loudness drum corps once had. I miss how there were way more corps back in the day. I miss VK, (hated when I marched), Bridgeman and 27th (who were both entertaining and top 3).

I love the ensemble sound produced by modern corps.

I realize that things change and I am glad that drum corps is still around and people love it, but there is nothing wrong with fondly remembering the past.

That is right...I too remember and treasure the past...competing against Blue Rock, 2-7, Boston...etc from my era. But...I am glad drum corps has continued to change and improve the product produced on the field...just as I am glad I was not performing a 1936 show in 1971.

:worthy: And in 20 years, you'll be one of the "olde phartes" comparing your era to DC in 2026. :)

Yup, this is the whole point of this discussion, IMO. Everyone'e era seems best to them. Lack of respect for what others value in their own eras is just not cool. Older folks think their age and experience gives them the right to trash the younger styles -- NOT. Younger folks think that because they are "modern", "latest and greatest" that they can trash older styles -- NOT. Its not to say we can't have opinions about each, but you can give opinions while still showing respect.

Yup, this is the whole point of this discussion, IMO. Everyone'e era seems best to them. Lack of respect for what others value in their own eras is just not cool. Older folks think their age and experience gives them the right to trash the younger styles -- NOT. Younger folks think that because they are "modern", "latest and greatest" that they can trash older styles -- NOT. Its not to say we can't have opinions about each, but you can give opinions while still showing respect.

Agreed - that's why I said "Comparing your era" intead of saying "complaining about..."

Also belong to the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America). As in Drum Corps a lot of fun and good info can come from comparisions between eras. And I've never heard anyone say "Model A Fords suck because they didn't have an automatic trannie". :P

Drum corps today can be interesting to watch but I find it can lack the pure entertaiment value that it once had. I realize this is a competitive activity, but there must be a way to be both competitive and fun to watch. I do miss the loudness drum corps once had. I miss how there were way more corps back in the day. I miss VK, (hated when I marched), Bridgeman and 27th (who were both entertaining and top 3).

I'll take tone quality over loudness any day!! Not saying that corps in any era didn't have good tone.

I wish there were more corps too but lets face it, there's a reason why a lot of them folded and with more corps and probably the same number of members....corps will be with fewer numbers. Talking about 13 and below most likely, guessing that top 8 will always have more than enough try out due to their placements.

Last year did not have a lot of entertaining shows but there have been a lot in the current past. I thought crossmen's show was probably the most entertaining last year!!

i think santa clara had the right idea with the phrase

"new era! new, new, new era!"

:D

just showin how times are changing, even in corps with mass amounts of tradition such as the vanguard...

its still drum corps, just new!

sorry if i sound too positive!!!

I don't post all that much, but I read very often.

This is a FORUM: n. A place where ideas and opinions are exchanged and discussed.

Let's face it. If we all only wrote what others would agree with, all replies would be, "Yep, Uh Huh, Sure was..." and the like.

BORING

How about this: If someone does not agree with you, it is not a personal attack. Saying I liked 06 or 76 is not trashing either year. Don't make sweeping generalizations about kids or geezers, and we can discuss drum corps.

I don't post all that much, but I read very often.

This is a FORUM: n. A place where ideas and opinions are exchanged and discussed.

Let's face it. If we all only wrote what others would agree with, all replies would be, "Yep, Uh Huh, Sure was..." and the like.

BORING

How about this: If someone does not agree with you, it is not a personal attack. Saying I liked 06 or 76 is not trashing either year. Don't make sweeping generalizations about kids or geezers, and we can discuss drum corps.

:worthy: