Playing G bugles, no amps, no electronics = competitive disadvantage?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(that sing and dance and have amps and trumpets and saxaphones)

You've seen a saxophone in a corps show?

How did I miss THAT one?????????

This is AMAZING!

Could you possibly exersize a little more tact? I know I myself have made some off color comments to people...but come on.

He only has 3 total posts. It's obvious this is just another one of those guys who signs up a new screen name in order to say whatever he wants without no consequences. If we ignore him, he may go away.

It would work as well as the status quo; Bb & F mellos.

Not true! Bb and F work great together because those two keys are a perfect fifth apart. Very compatible. However, Bb and G are a minor third apart, which is very awkward and impractical.

Not true! Bb and F work great together because those two keys are a perfect fifth apart. Very compatible. However, Bb and G are a minor third apart, which is very awkward and impractical.

I don't really understand your point, this doesn't stop bands or orchestras from sounding, both groups have instruments in a multitude of keys. And people have already said that Bb and G lines have been done and sounded good.

Sure didn't mean to step on so many sensitive toes. I had no idea so many of you were so resistant to opinions differing from your own. Myself and others of my generation don't like where we see drum corps going (singing, amps, etc). That's all. No personal attacks intended.

But before I leave lets look at 'drum and bugle corps'. There are still drums (but most aren't carried onto the field). However the bugles have been replaced by trumpets and 'corps' is going by the wayside for lack of military bearing. That is my opinion, not an attack, based on my 51 years. Maybe drum and bugle corps needs to have a split. You know, have traditional corps that we will call 'drum and bugle corps' and the modern corps (that sing and dance and have amps and trumpets and saxaphones) we will call, um, a band? There I go offending again.

You guys are too much fun. I wish you success in all you do.

Randy,

You marched the "Day Drum Corps Died" (1971)...yet it did not. Drum corps continues to make changes...as ever...Anaheim was a forward-looking corps back in your day...esp the guard. Why do you expect drum corps to look in 2006 exactly as it did in 1971, 35 years ago? Drum corps in 1971 looked little like the drum corps of 1936 either.

I started marching in 1964, and IMO drum corps today is better than ever. So...be careful when you make sweeping generalizations about 'others of your generation'....as I am one of them.

If someone from 1936 had trashed everything that YOU loved doing in 1971...I doubt you would have accepted it with a smile.

Mike, see sig for marching years.

I don't think people are saying judges deduct points for using Gs (infact, when has anyone ever said that?) but that it can put a corps at a competitive disadvantage compared to those in Bbs...which it can! Especially if the corps on Gs happens to have younger members.

In a competition based on points, how can something that has ZERO effect on points (amps, f double sharp horns, whatever) cause advantage or disadvantage? I get that you're saying it's easier for performers to play on Bb instead of switching over to G, btw.

I agree. Bb and F work together OK, as well G's working well by themselves.

I don't really understand your point, this doesn't stop bands or orchestras from sounding, both groups have instruments in a multitude of keys. And people have already said that Bb and G lines have been done and sounded good.

Bands and orchestras aren't trying to achieve a homogenous sound like a drum corps hornline is. Bands and orchestras take a multitude of different timbres as well as keys and meld them together to make the sound that they make. Drum corps hornlines take a much smaller variety of timbres (brass only, and the same make/model, etc.) and blend them together to make the sound that THEY make.

In a competition based on points, how can something that has ZERO effect on points (amps, f double sharp horns, whatever) cause advantage or disadvantage? I get that you're saying it's easier for performers to play on Bb instead of switching over to G, btw.

But they DO have effect on points. Not in the sense that they're "required elements" like in figure skating, but ensemble and GE judges will certainly take note of what effect amps have on the corps' performance when they write down the number. And they tone quality and intonation of the hornline of course effects the score too, and if it's because of the equipment they use... well, that's not something that can be worked on too much mid-season now, can it?