Playing G bugles, no amps, no electronics = competitive disadvantage?

I wonder if anyone else is as crazy as me and would be dumb enough to try and march both Bb & G's in the same corps. Have half the hornline play with G's and the other half play with Bb's.

...just something I thought about that probably won't work

That would never be clean...ever

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD's charts generally have a lot more dense chords, with augmented/diminished intervals. Without the volume and brilliance of the G horns, these tend to sound muddier.

They do? Huh...that's news to me.

Guess I'll go throw out all those Duke Ellington records I have.

There is no question that the Bb's produce a darker.

WAAAAAAAH????

I must disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with you on that.

I just came back from a great CorpsVets camp. Even at this early stage that hornline is darker than all but one Bb line I've ever heard live.

I wonder if anyone else is as crazy as me and would be dumb enough to try and march both Bb & G's in the same corps. Have half the hornline play with G's and the other half play with Bb's.

Only corps I know who has done this is Westshoremen Alumni in their one (and only one) yearly gig. Reason is the corps owns very few instruments so most of the horn players bring whatever they own. Biggest headache appears to be having charts ready for G/Bb and Bass/Treble clef. I'm not a musicain so I can't really explain this in depth but with 60+ horns having mixed keys doesn't affect the sound or tuning from where I sat. (And I've sat in the corps and with the crowd in different years.)

I think that the use of G bugles would create a disadvantage when considering tuning. With a less experienced hornline you are most certainly going to have a harder time staying in tune with G's as opposed to Bb. The amplification thing is a two edged sword. I think it can be very useful when done right. I have seen corps though that seriously messed it up and it hurt them.

Only corps I know who has done this is Westshoremen Alumni in their one (and only one) yearly gig. Reason is the corps owns very few instruments so most of the horn players bring whatever they own. Biggest headache appears to be having charts ready for G/Bb and Bass/Treble clef. I'm not a musicain so I can't really explain this in depth but with 60+ horns having mixed keys doesn't affect the sound or tuning from where I sat. (And I've sat in the corps and with the crowd in different years.)

I'm pretty sure Esperanza did this when they won Div 2 in 2003. At least in the beginning of the video there's a close-up on a soprano player and he looks like he's playing a G bugle, and the rest of the line was playing trumpets. I think this also had something to do with people bringing their own horns. Can anyone confirm?

I'm no brass guy, and I'm definately no drum corps guy, but...if a high school/college marching band can play with instruments in different keys as well as some of them do, I just didn't see why anyone wouldn't want to try it. Everyone has different opinions of why both are an advantage over the other...but what if they just played both of em at the same time? What would that really sound like?

...eh, I dono, I'm probably just running my mouth a little too much.

Westshore alumni had G...2 and 3 valve...and Bb. we sounded fine