Favorite drum solo

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with those who said Santa Clara Vanguard 1987.

FRIGGIN TIGHT! What a line... sigh... :worthy:

Santa Clara; '74 "Young Person's Guide", '75 "Birds of Fire" and "The Clock",' 79 "Lezginka", Oakland Crusaders, '76, '77; Seattle Imperials, '77 "Doobies" (I played Multi-tenors in the winter and spring before going back to another corps), Blue Devils '83, "Paradox", '86 "Channel One Suite"; Bridgemen '83; Cadets 2000 drumbreak "Anything you can do..",

easy

Old school

Bridgemen "Black Market Juggler" the 1982 version

New School

Blue Knights "Little Green Men" and

Bluecoats "Palookaville" - 1991

There have been so many great drum features in the past, that it's hard to say. SCV had a bunch. I really enjoyed the breaks during Festive Overture years (85,86). Blue Devils have had a slew of great features too. 1986 was a great year for their feature....

A few that come to mind that haven't been mention too much are the following:

"Seasoned Skool"

Bluecoats 1987, 1988 <- Snare Drum-to-Drum and adding snares as the feature goes on in Autumn Leaves....

Bluecoats 1989 <- Cool feature before the end

Cavies 1987-1990 <- was fun to march the "snake in a blender" drill in 90 during the feature.

SCV 1987, 1990

VK 1987, 1988 <- Snare Drum-to-Drum and adding snares to the Drum-to-Drum as the feature goes on in "Africa"...

"Nuevo ESkool"

Cadets 2000

Cadets 2005 minus the speak thing.

On the new school front, not a lot comes to mind. I know there are short features that a really cool, but the integration of all sections of the corps musically has pretty much brought an end to the extended "percussion" only feature. I miss it as it's actually nice to see one done every once in a while!

Edited by jjeffeory

Okay old-timers...who remembers this? 1969 or '70, St. Joseph's of Batavia drum solo...a mixture of "The Syncopated Alarmclock", and "Westminster Chimes" (on tympani) Cool solo for it's time! B)

I like Glassmen's break in 05

~>conner

gosh ...sooooooo many great ones, and I hate to slight anyone. And so many under-rated ones, so many basically

"ignored" ones, so many forgotten ones.

Jeez... to say "favorite" is tough.... BUTT...

Blue Devils - 1976 - Buddy Rich solo to a "T"

SCV - most years - '80 - '82 - '87 standouts

Cavaliers - a few years ago... pretty good!! (understated intentionally...)

Cadets - 2004/2005 - whoa.

Edited by GGarrett

In a million years, I never would have thought I'd see the 2000 Crossmen drumline listed in anything having to do with "best." That was arguably their worst drumline and drum book in the last 20 years IMO.

Sounded cool. And it's not a best drum feature thread, it's a favorite drum feature thread.

Edited by Carl306