Woodwinds or no woodwinds?

Woodwinds or no woodwinds  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI ever incorporate woodwinds?

• No, never, not any time for any reason
    • Well, maybe for solos only
    • Yes, bring them on in, let's be like everyone else

Oh, btw, for all you age-outs and such, that say it's for the performers, not the fans, I'm in the current generation of DCI, I have 8 years to march, including this season, and I HATE the idea of turning corps into marching band. I think that if you turn corps into band, you'll see a drop not only in show attendance, but also in corps membership as well. I, for one, am marching corps for the experience of brass, drums, the power of corps, being able to blast FFF or even FFFF in some rare cases without getting yelled at because we have to blend with woodwinds. And as many other people have said, I have nothing against WWs in general, just corps.

And then, you have to buy the instruments as well, and they arent exactly cheap, and neither is brass, but, as I said earlier, brass horns can hold up better to the stress of a corps summer than woodwinds ever will. I don't think the low brass would appreciate it either when the flutes start complaining about how heavy their horns are. And you can't get that same kind of a bad-###, get-the-####-outta-my-way look when holding a flute or a clarinet, or with a sax hangin off your neck. It's just a stupid idea. I personally love woodwinds in genres they belong in, which ISN'T DCI. Maybe a seperate division would be ok, but I dont think it'd be very popular.

Sorry about the long post, just kinda got on a bit of a roll.

funny...yet another kid speaks up, and yet we're told they dont care either way

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Think of all the harmonica players that are excluded from playing in British Brass Bands! Mike? Any thoughts?

man it's such a shame to see those groups stuck in the past like that

(sarcasm off)

When I think of woodwinds in Drum Corps, I think of that scene in Farris Buellers Day Off. He picks up the clairinet, plays a bunch of crap and says, "Never Had One Lesson". :P

I've seen this comment from you many times and it's never been challenged. Who supported WW 50 years ago?

That is not what I mean...drum corps has, over that time, gone from a limited set of straight bugles and a few types of drums to the multi-key brass we have today....trumpets, tubas, F mellos, baris...and just about any "legit' percussion equipment you can think of. They have taken brass and percussion to match what bands use, over time...WW and electronics are just a natural progression IMO.

I doubt Hugh and Frank, et al, would support WW in drum corps. I think I have seen Frank post that, actually.

Exactly. Think of all the harmonica players that are excluded from playing in British Brass Bands! Mike? Any thoughts?

As long as you asked...IMO that is one of the siliest things I've read in a long time as a way to support the no-WW side of things. You asked. B)

it isn't all that silly when you think of it Mike.

every kind of group has some kind of rule that excludes some type of person or implement.

the NHL doesnt use footballs.

MLB doesnt use hockey pucks

and drum corps does not use woodwinds.

it's the way of the world.

Plus there is the age old problem with woodwinds...."My reed broke," and my favorite "I don't have a reed." Can you imagine how many reeds a corps would need to bring with them?

This is actually the number one reason why I'm against WW on the field. COST.

Not only are woodwind instruments a lot more expensive then brass, but there are so many hidden costs to them its ridiculous. Reeds, new pads if it rains (or even sprinkles), not to mention how fragile most WW instruments are.

Of course, the fragile part is usually fine, because WW instruments were designed to be indoors. The only real exception being Saxophones. Adolf Sax designed them to be able to carry outside.

The costs are way to prohibitive for a lot of corps to even THINK about going this route.

But thats ok, right? The big 6 can afford it. Thats all that matters!

...but can they?

This may have been stated before in the many pages of responses, but isn't it called "Drum and Bugle Corps?" If you added woodwinds, it would have to be called "marching band."

In all honesty, woodwinds are not really outdoor instruments. Throughout history they have been used in close quarters or indoors.