Does the City name in your corps represent you?

Isn't Carolina Gold technically from Raleigh, NC though? Don't you guys usually practice in Rocky Mount?

When Carolina Gold was formed, the corps was announced from Raleigh, NC, the capital city, the center of the state. Gold has rarely rehearsed (if ever) in Raleigh; practices have been held in surrounding communities.

This past fall, Gold personnel contacted the city of Rocky Mount, about 1 hour east of Raleigh, and located off I-95. The Rocky Mount chamber of commerce, board of education, department of tourism, and the arts council are excited to have Carolina Gold represent their fine city. Carolina Gold is happy to be part of a this outstanding cultural community and thrilled to be a part of the cities regrowth.

So the answer to your question is yes...our corps city name represents Carolina Gold and Carolina Gold is proud to represent the city of Rocky Mount, NC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Bucs do. Although Reading is a very large area when you include all the surrounding communities. Chieftains always practiced in the Lehigh Valley. But again, same deal... large area. Sky hasn't been in New York City in years, but I challenge anyone to say that they don't "represent" the Big Apple. Sunrisers are in Rockland County as they say. Also a relatively big area. That's about all I can vouch for personally.

The Sunrisers were named after the Sunrise Highway on Long Island.

So no, the original name of the corps does not reflect where the current corps practices.

It's not possible that there's enough open space in Atlanta so, oh never mind...

Could I get a little clarification on this statement?

Actually, I do believe that Buc Field is a couple hundred feet outside of Reading city limits. I was curious about that one day and, thanks to Google Earth, it looks like the little stream that runs along side Aviation road is the border between Reading and the neighboring township!

Technicalities. :huh:

Buc Field is technically in Bern Township, but Mike is right -- you can stand inside the Reading city limits and, with a little force, spit onto the field. Likewise, I believe the Greater Reading Expo Center is just over the Muhlenburg Township line from the city. During the winter months, we're at Twin Valley High School, which is 18 miles southeast of Reading, at the confluence of the Berks County/Lancaster County/Chester County lines. Just the same, we call ourselves from Reading because we are. And we're grateful to have such wonderful facilities to use!

Blousemen still call Blouseburg home, but in all reality they are from all parts of Pennsylvania, including Stoudsburg.

DA

Blousemen still call Blouseburg home, but in all reality they are from all parts of Pennsylvania, including Stoudsburg.

DA

Donny, Jim Flaniggin (SP) says to say hi.

Didn't the Bushwackers used to have themselves announced as being from Thermopolis, Wyoming?

Yes.

Currently, we mostly practice in Ridgefield Park, NJ although friday night rehearsals in the summer are still in Harrison.

We are frequently announced as being from somewhere in CT but I figure they get that from our director's mailing address.

Personally, I liked the show we had a while back where we were announced as the Bushwackers, from the Great State of NJ. Considering how many members we've actually had from Harrison (1 as far as I know), it's a better description...

Al, I would be willing to bet that we have more members NOT from NJ than we do from that great Garden State (I can't believe I just said that!!).

Baltimore Yankee Rebels rehearse in the Baltimore suburbs of Rosedale and Dundalk. Not too much in Baltimore itself anymore since we are no longer associated with Hamilton Post 20 which was located in the city of Baltimore. Our annual indoor show is held in another Baltimore suburb of Parkville, Md.

what happened with the Post?

Hamilton Post 20 still has their American Legion charter but lost their post home. I suppose the membership dwindled down and cash flow became a problem. We do a Memorial Day service for them so a few are still around. But we are not associated with them as a drum corps.