An irrefutable statement regarding the woodwind debate

Kusankusho,

You will be much happier if you just put MikeD on your ignore list, like I did. I mean, if you know you will never agree on things, then why frustrate yourself by reading his posts? (I suspect he probably has me on his ignore list as well, and if he doesn't, he probably should) :P I respect MikeD's opinions, and he has every right to them, but I will NEVER agree with him on the topic of woodwinds or amplification in drumcorps, so...ignored.. (no offense, Mike, if you can see this) :D

Nope...I have no one on my ignore list. If I want to skip a post, I will. Didn't know I was on yours, actually, but hey...that's OK.

I'll read anybody's opinion on topics. It's just opinions, after all.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kusankusho,

You will be much happier if you just put MikeD on your ignore list, like I did. I mean, if you know you will never agree on things, then why frustrate yourself by reading his posts? (I suspect he probably has me on his ignore list as well, and if he doesn't, he probably should) :P I respect MikeD's opinions, and he has every right to them, but I will NEVER agree with him on the topic of woodwinds or amplification in drumcorps, so...ignored.. (no offense, Mike, if you can see this) :D

You can do that, but I don't see it as necessary. I see nothing wrong with healthy debate. Although I disagree with Mike's opinions, he states them more appropriately and respectfully than most, including those whose opinions I agree with. Such debate forces me to look at myself and my rationale to see if it is really worth standing up and fighting for. Obviously I do and I think it is, so I am willing to read Mike's posts and write mine. When I first started posting on DCP, I was more offensive, especially towards certain directors that I feel more responsible for the direction the activity is taking. People like MikeD have shown me that one can be completely passionate about their position and yet express it without being offensive.

I think though that this WW debate, and the micced voice debate, have run their useful course as debates and are now a repeating round of "Drum corps is band" and "Oh no it isn't". I haven't seen much new on the subject from MikeD or from me - different ways to state the same things maybe, but the same things never the less.

Hopefully amped voice will peter out like an ill-concieved fad, WW will never become a real issue and we can forget about the upheavals of early 21st century drum corps and just go enjoy what the members put out there every night on the field. Something else may raise it's ugly head, laser light shows or some crap. Time for a new fight at that point.

I do think that those of us opposed to the voice thing should try to maintain some visibility to the issue - through repeated petitions, submissions to the rules congress to consider repealing - whatever we can do.

I'm not blocking MikeD, just laying off this never-ending debate until I either (1) have something new to say or (2) am driven to comment on something posted that just drives me @#$%^&* nuts!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by kusankusho

This sounds less like gaps in logic and more like general disagreement.

Exactly! People are arguing positions and metaphors as if they represent a statement of fact. They do not. How and to what extent DCI should evolve is entirely a matter of opinion and perspective.

Exactly! People are arguing positions and metaphors as if they represent a statement of fact. They do not. How and to what extent DCI should evolve is entirely a matter of opinion and perspective.

We were debating in part how well my metaphors did or did not fit the scanario. That's logic. The how and why of the evolution was perspective. Minor point, but still.......

I already know what the responses are going to be to this post, but I'm saying it anyway, #### it.

I don't like electronics of ANY kind on the field (that includes amplification equipment). But I'm ####### tired of this debate on this forum. I don't think anything new has been brought up in about a year, and the arguments themselves have remained static for even longer than that. There have been far too many threads created that say the exact same thing.

If something unique were being said, I'd be fine with the discussion continuing. But usually, it just ends up being the same thing over and over. And I'm as guilty as anyone.

Here's the deal: The more DCI "evolves", the less money they will be receiving from me. Hopefully, they can recover that money from those hundreds/thousands more high school students they are supposedly bringing in. My 2006 money has already started heading to DCA. An even bigger percentage will head there this year than last.

Okay, I'm done with amps discussions. I read in hopes someone is saying something different. But I talk no more until this actually happens.

Tank - I'm with you on all counts.

I already know what the responses are going to be to this post, but I'm saying it anyway, #### it.

I don't like electronics of ANY kind on the field (that includes amplification equipment). But I'm ####### tired of this debate on this forum. I don't think anything new has been brought up in about a year, and the arguments themselves have remained static for even longer than that. There have been far too many threads created that say the exact same thing.

If something unique were being said, I'd be fine with the discussion continuing. But usually, it just ends up being the same thing over and over. And I'm as guilty as anyone.

Here's the deal: The more DCI "evolves", the less money they will be receiving from me. Hopefully, they can recover that money from those hundreds/thousands more high school students they are supposedly bringing in. My 2006 money has already started heading to DCA. An even bigger percentage will head there this year than last.

Okay, I'm done with amps discussions. I read in hopes someone is saying something different. But I talk no more until this actually happens.

here's something new. i can tolerate amped pit.

nothing else amped, no woodwinds, but amped pit

I would never want to see woodwinds in drum corps but, I do agree with Mike D in one area. If DCI wants to add a summer band division, go ahead! I could watch the band show in the afternoon competition and the drum corps show in the evening competition. I would just think. Man, thoes brass players could be marching in a drum corps.

Again, Drum Corps like Cuba in 1959. NO SAXAPHONES!

Edited by boxingfred

I've said this before, but I believe it bears repeating here.

If you want to be a member of an organization that uses woodwinds, join a marching band. Drum corps is unique and to add woodwinds would, IMO, destroy the activity.

Drum corps is (and always should be) more than just a marching band with attitude!