Champion Fanfare

COME ON PEOPLE... USE SOME COMMON SENSE  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should CONCLUDE THIS YEAR'S CHAMPIONSHIP SPORTING EVENT

• America O' Canada
    • Championship Funfare ($99 on Southwest)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha wow, you guys actually worked on AoC?

Thinking back, we may have played it three times in rehearsal in all of 2003.

Personally, I'd take a format similar to the old playing off as aposed to the new fanfare or aoc. It'd be way cooler to have every corps play their song, it would be more interesting, and it'd probably take just about as much time. (It would definately sound better)

My "olde pharte" [tm] moment...

Send in the Clowns >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

You'll Never Walk Alone >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

Amazing Grace/Elsa's Cathedral >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

Just a Gigolo >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

Conquest >>>>>> AoC >>>> Champions' Fanfare.

I miss the old retreat. Yes, I know that all of today's marching members don't miss it, and would rather do without it so they can eat, get more sleep, socialize more, whatever...

But, I miss hearing those songs.

Ok, olde pharte moment over.

Yay for progress. Progress rules.

I missed playing it after '94.

like they say, you can't fix something that isn't broken. and i for one do miss retreat every night. it was a chance to get back on the field and hear the crowd go nuts as the announcer called your name. i say we keep AOC, no matter who was playin it or how many were playin it, it ALWAYS brought me chills.

Also, scores just don't feel the same when your not on the field. Really, isn't it always cooler to be out there next to the corps you were going back and forth with, than to hear about it later in the parking lot?

Seeing the pits line up next to the field just in case they won, hearing the senior corps guys running commentary of everything, seeing how everyone else does what they do...just a lot of cool stuff.

Edited by raphael18

By the way, Sean Sullivan, if you are out there...I was wrong. You don't have the most annoying sig on DCP, someone in this thread does. I'm sorry you lost the title, my friend. :(

I know just who you are talking about :P

I heard it played last night by Madison and Blue Stars. It's long, boring, and unimpressive. I was really tired of Am/O Can, but I think that they could've found a shorter, more appealing encore. That's just my opinion and it is not based on tradition or patriotism. Just what I witnessed at Coon Rapids (who names these towns?), MN last night.

I was standing between one of the Scouts and one of the Blue Stars for that... one of the "privelages" of being host, I guess. It was definitely an unimpressive song. I'd rather have heard the Blue Stars do an encore of their field rendition. At least that wouldn't put me to sleep.

Gee, I had the same reaction in Toledo. I needed another Appalachain Spring (not).

"The most overplayed song in drum corps." (2¢ to my friend voicing his opinion on the piece...)

I miss the old retreat. Yes, I know that all of today's marching members don't miss it, and would rather do without it so they can eat, get more sleep, socialize more, whatever...

Me, too.

I didn't know they sacked AOC. Makes me kind of sad actually. I'm Canadian. It may sound lame, but it made me feel very included and proud to play that song.

That's where the problem was, from what I've heard. Unless you were from the US or Canada, you don't get that feeling. It's unfair to the marchers who hail from other countries.

:bleah:

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, though, or that I enjoy playing Champions Fanfare (especially on a G bugle ampssuck)

Finally heard Champion's Fanfare last night in Menomonie. One word: boring. Oh, and two other words: too long.

The only way this piece MIGHT be effective is at a full retreat when 12 corps play it simultaneously (but such effect is really just caused by having so much brass playing at one time - honestly, 12 corps could play "I'm Too Sexy" together and probably sound cool).