APD - Cavaliers

Wow says it all... unbelievable stuff. LOVE the new percussion writing... the little nuances in the pit in the Marsalis piece are perfect.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice show. Can't wait to see it next week in Bloomington. I will about have it memorized by then I bet, on my 6th listen now while on my computer.

Not to be too biased, but I'm just amazed at their brass performance for this point in the season.

That ballad chord quality and release is something I think most corps could only hope for on finals night.

I'm a little underwhelmed for now. A lot of neat effects, but I get the feeling that Paul Harvey and I are going to have to wait and see this show in person, so we can know the rest of the story. More than any of the other APDs, I feel like I only have half a show without seeing the Cavaliers' visual program.

It'll probably grow on me more and more as the season progresses. There's some really great stuff in there, but it still feels a little patchwork this early in the season. Let's hear this show again when it's all grown up.

Edited by Maedhros

Maedhros doesn't care for a Cavaliers show I absolutely LOVE?

What is this world coming to?

(Er actually Maedhros, what do you think of Cavies '89-'91? My favorite shows by them by far!)

ok...i like the show...but the freaking ballad sounds JUST like 04'...without the hint of 007 there....nevertheless...it'll be kicka** come August.

Edited by jayboe172

Maedhros doesn't care for a Cavaliers show I absolutely LOVE?

What is this world coming to?

Ha! Well it's not so much that I had a negative reaction to the APD. Actually my reaction was essentially 1) I feel like there's still more to come, particularly in the last third of the show, and 2) like many Cavaliers shows, it sounds as though being able to see the visual would add to the effect of the music and create a show that's greater than the sum of its parts. So in a word, my reaction would be one of anticipation, a little moreso than excitement at this point.

(Er actually Maedhros, what do you think of Cavies '89-'91? My favorite shows by them by far!)

They wouldn't show up on a list of my favorites. That probably has as much to do with the era as anything else. Almost all of my favorite shows are from 1995 to the present, and especially from 1999 to the present. Perhaps that's because those are the only shows I've been able to experience personally, and I've been able to become familiar with them over the course of an entire season. Of course I appreciate what Cavaliers were doing from 1985 to 1995, as they built themselves back into a power, but they aren't shows I listen to very often.

I'm a little dissapointed that with such a different concept from what they've done in the past, the music felt so similar to recent Cavies shows. It's one thing to have a style...it's a whole other thing for the audience to feel like they've heard large segments of the show before, which I did.

I totally agree. Musically it is still primarily sound effects, sustained horn chords, and lots of keyboard runs with only bits of melody here and there; pretty much what they have done for six years now. So, while played wonderfully, their musical progam is somewhat trite and cliché. I’m sure it will be a great show to watch live, but not something I’ll want to listen to time and again.

I only have one problem with it... just one... that being the music played when the guys do ther robot doesn't, well, fit the robot.