Why can't we let the Cadets be the Cadets?

I did walk out on their show last year at DATR and it wasn't to be rude, it was in protest to amplified voices being used in a Drum and Bugle Corps show. Same for Seattle. I don't like it and I didn't want to listen to it.

There's do doubt DCI will be shocked by the crowd at semifinals when Madison Scouts Alumni Corps takes the field. They will see first hand what is missing from the DCI brand shows, genuine crowd response. We experienced it saturday night. It will be mind boggling. An old friend made a great comment about the crowd last night while watching one of the top Corps doing their "modern esoteric" show. He said, "They don't even know what they are clapping for"! Touche!

The members are GREAT musicians and GREAT at what they do on the field and just plain GREAT kids! IMO they are being used for the survival of the management <**> , not Drum Corps!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not going to go do BOA as people keep suggesting.

That's a pretty big stretch from pointing out what arena they have borrowed from the past year or two to suggest that they'd somehow "go do BOA". :wall:

Gonna be kind had to put the Cadets in Grand Nationals, methinks. :P

...and you hit another good point about "innovation" in your post. This kind of "Broadway" production, where Hop speaks of needing a spotlight, etc....someone else did that before, and on their own terms. That's right...it was blast! Now we've proven twice (three times with the WGI example earlier) that drum corps is woefully behind in the innovation category, right?

Even then, though, when the blast! product was presented to audiences, it was simply brass, percussion and guard. People responded. It won a Tony. :)

Maybe they were on to something.

Nah, couldn't be. ^0^

If you think this will stop Cadets bashing, you are sorely mistaken

Your thread makes me want to bash the Cadets designers (not the kids) all the more

Exactly, because the designers are freakin' idiots who need their heads examined.

Hey, if the Cadets are first coming into finals this year, at least I'll get a good 15 minute break before final. I'll watch them during Quarters so I can get a good laugh in.

vocals are a choice

Boston's chant and Crown's singing

were quite neat, I thought.

Björk-speak was awful

I'll give you at least that much

drumspeak was a blast!

Am very cautious

of the Cadets show this year

But have an open mind.

B)

LOL. Kind of like what I did to a certain corps in 88 in KC. Talk about politics

Where and when did you march? Think what you want, but my favorite memory of '88 was the crowd going nuts at the end of our show and when SCV was announched in 2nd. And that was saying a lot because SCV had an incredible show that year. Win or lose, the crowd made the memory. Yeah, Scott Stewart was able to convince the judges to give us 1st. It was the only year in DCI history when politics played in his favor rather than against him.

If you're going to knock me, at least come out from behind your computer and say who you are and how you are affiliated with drum corps.

Just an FYI - I've never bought politics in drum corps (for or against any corps, at any time). My comment above was facetious...because we all know many posters here (esp. in 2002) talked about anti-Scott politics. It's ridiculous to think a judge would "punish" a group of people who have worked so hard for any reason.

Edited by gellio

Where and when did you march? Think what you want, but my favorite memory of '88 was the crowd going nuts at the end of our show and when SCV was announched in 2nd. And that was saying a lot because SCV had an incredible show that year. Win or lose, the crowd made the memory. Yeah, Scott Stewart was able to convince the judges to give us 1st. It was the only year in DCI history when politics played in his favor rather than against him.

If you're going to knock me, at least come out from behind your computer and say who you are and how you are affiliated with drum corps.

No need to. I think you said it all. B)

Edited by Stream of Consciousness