I'm listening to the audio tracks from 1992 finals on Season Pass, and I just needed to post. Was that the best year of drum corps ever?

Cavaliers - beautiful Peterloo Overture

Cadets - playing Holsinger to Tame the Perilous Skies

Star - everyone wanted to see them get beat, including me

Blue Devils - belting out When a Man Loves a Woman after taking off their jackets (and their guard in red spandex)

Madison Scouts - powerful brass and percussion, City of Angels

Crossmen - Songs for the Planet Earth, awesome music

Santa Clara - Fiddler on the Roof * the bottle dance

Phantom - classic white, costuming, 1812 Overture

Blue Knights - playing Copland

Velvet Knights - Magical Mystery Tour, how funny were they - but they could actually play and march too.

I went back and started listening to the old stuff because sometimes in this new world of B flat horns, amps, strange shows with doors at obnoxious characters, you just need to go back and listen to the "good" stuff. Anyone with me?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya, Danhobl.

'92 is close, but for me it's '91

I don't get it. Was Star's show that year accepted or not accepted by most audience members? Form the audience response on the recording (plus "'92 Champions!"), I'm guessing the former. Than, and this is an AMAZING, wayyyyyy underrated show.

I'm listening to the audio tracks from 1992 finals on Season Pass, and I just needed to post. Was that the best year of drum corps ever?

Cavaliers - beautiful Peterloo Overture

Cadets - playing Holsinger to Tame the Perilous Skies

Star - everyone wanted to see them get beat, including me

Blue Devils - belting out When a Man Loves a Woman after taking off their jackets (and their guard in red spandex)

Madison Scouts - powerful brass and percussion, City of Angels

Crossmen - Songs for the Planet Earth, awesome music

Santa Clara - Fiddler on the Roof * the bottle dance

Phantom - classic white, costuming, 1812 Overture

Blue Knights - playing Copland

Velvet Knights - Magical Mystery Tour, how funny were they - but they could actually play and march too.

I went back and started listening to the old stuff because sometimes in this new world of B flat horns, amps, strange shows with doors at obnoxious characters, you just need to go back and listen to the "good" stuff. Anyone with me?

ehh - I disagree.

Cavaliers were great - Cadets show with tons of GE but also a lot of dirt (that was the "show of the year" imo)

Star was booed for no reason - I wanted to strangle folks every show - PATHETIC behavior on those people's part

BD, Madison shows both had a lot of issues

Xmen were terrific - especially the drums

SCV were a mess... BK eh, not my favorite show from them (flat emotionally), VK was fun but dirty dirty.

Last year 2005 was a much better top 12 (for me) as where many other seasons (like 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, etc) :)

I don't get it. Was Star's show that year accepted or not accepted by most audience members? Form the audience response on the recording (plus "'92 Champions!"), I'm guessing the former. Than, and this is an AMAZING, wayyyyyy underrated show.

Star got booed by midwest corps "fans" (scout fans, cavalier fans) - they were sick of watching star beat their corps - booed them silly and really never "liked" cavaliers 92 until semis when they upended star - they all suddenly ran to the cavaliers souvie booth to pick up t-shirts (finals night half the crowd seemed to have never worn before cavalier gear on) and suddenly next night were the corps biggest fans ever - clapping them on and off the field, cheering when star was announced in 3rd - etc... I haven't seen such behavior since middle school

To this day I can't watch Scouts without thinking about their fans behavior during this era

Edited by George

I preferred 1993 and 1995. Both of those years had great Top-6's

yes it does.