92 was a great year, but 1990 was really great too. Any of the top 6 corps could have won it, and the leader traded places all year long! Also, the top 25 corps were all really good. Any of around 16 corps could have legitimately been in top 12. What a great year!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no big Cavalier fan...

And Vince even MARCHED with us... :P

I don't remember the booing for Star as such. What I remember is people being underwhelmed by a show that seemed to be trying too hard, in a Disney-esque kind of way ("you're gonna feel something here, darnit...").

In terms of best year ever, 2002 stands out, as does '76, '80, and '88. '92 had some great shows in it, but they were ameliorated by substandard offerings from a few of the top 12 who shall remain nameless. B)

1992 is one of my favorite years, but perhaps I'm biased because that was my first year of involvment in drum corps, so EVERY corps were like giants in my eyes.

Star got booed by midwest corps "fans" (scout fans, cavalier fans) - they were sick of watching star beat their corps - booed them silly and really never "liked" cavaliers 92 until semis when they upended star - they all suddenly ran to the cavaliers souvie booth to pick up t-shirts (finals night half the crowd seemed to have never worn before cavalier gear on) and suddenly next night were the corps biggest fans ever - clapping them on and off the field, cheering when star was announced in 3rd - etc... I haven't seen such behavior since middle school

To this day I can't watch Scouts without thinking about their fans behavior during this era

Why do you imply that only Scouts fans and maybe Cavalier fans were booing Star? That's not what I remember. I remember them getting booed by LOTS of people, fans of other corps, fans of drum corps in general. It seemed like the majority of the crowd was booing. And this was true not just in 1992, but in 1993 all over the country.

92 was a great year, but 1990 was really great too. Any of the top 6 corps could have won it, and the leader traded places all year long! Also, the top 25 corps were all really good. Any of around 16 corps could have legitimately been in top 12. What a great year!

I agree that 1990 was a great year, but I disagree with your statement about any of the top 6 winning. They all traded victories all year. Coming in to quarters, it was clearly a Cadets vs. Cavies battle. The battle for 3rd was between Star and BD, and Phantom and SCV were fighting for 5th. Star took 3rd and Phantom put on a great string at the end to climb out of 6th in Quaters to tie BD for 4th in finals. There was NO ONE anyone but Cavies or Cadets were going to win coming in, despite what happened only a week earlier.

I think 1985 was the best year. Listen to Phantom - best 8th place show ever, and they deserved 8th. It only got better as you climbed up the standings.

1992 is one of my favorite years, but perhaps I'm biased because that was my first year of involvment in drum corps, so EVERY corps were like giants in my eyes.

Why do you imply that only Scouts fans and maybe Cavalier fans were booing Star? That's not what I remember. I remember them getting booed by LOTS of people, fans of other corps, fans of drum corps in general. It seemed like the majority of the crowd was booing. And this was true not just in 1992, but in 1993 all over the country.

That statement was ridiculous. Star got plenty of applause at finals. Personally, I was hoping Star would have won! Everyone did seem to want them to lose, but they were tremendous. In my opinion, I would have been happy if any of the top 3 won. You can say what you want about Star's drill being sloppy in spots, but they blew the Cavies away brass wise, and so did the Cadets. The Cavies took it based on their brilliant visual product. Star was screwed fan wise because of the silly comments about their money and buying victories. Star of Indiana never took a placement they did not deserve. In fact, how they only won in 1991 so narrowly is a mystery to me. That performance should have won by a much much larger margin.

I like 1992 Star much better than 1993 Star, and I disagree with all statements that praise 1993 Star. I think the entire production was a mistake. The show completely lacked any brass impacts. Yes, it was impressive in terms of exposure, but I didn't think the drill was demanding (as demanding as the three previous years) and it severely lacked GE. I thought it was scored much too closely to the Cadets.

My favorite year... probly is 2003.

Phantom and Harmonic Journey, Cavies and Spin Cycle, Cadets and Our Favorite Things, BD and Phenomenon of Cool... that year was loaded. I like!!! b**bs

Actually, after reading the original post, I forgot how awesome 92 was- I didn't realize all those shows were in the same year I guess! I think 2006 will be a year to remember though.

Edited by Wild Nights

92 was one of the top 5 best top to bottom final 12 corps ever IMO.

My favorite year... probly is 2003.

Man, I had to get all the way down here to find someone else that loved 2003!

I also haven't heard anyone mention 1999 yet, every show in that top seven was great. Same with 1995.

I've heard 2000 and 2002 get mentioned, and I'd agree that those are good years. How about 2001? A great top four that year, with a very entertaining Glassmen show knocking on the door in fifth. Crossmen were a blast, I really enjoyed Boston's primal style, Crown had a great opener, and Madison was #### entertaining, even if they weren't clean.