Cadets Changes

Give the guy some credit. He IS what's happening.

Love it!

:)

Absolutely. What has been the main topic of conversation in the drum corps world this season, for the most part? The Cadets and YEA.

For better or worse, you cannot buy publicity like that.

Fran

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. What has been the main topic of conversation in the drum corps world this season, for the most part? The Cadets and YEA.

For better or worse, you cannot buy publicity like that.

Fran

...and that's an excellent point to make...just had a good PM conversation about this.

For the most part, George is a lightning rod (with the blog, the comments, etc) for the Cadets. He takes the heat, while some of the design staff (Schwartz, Sylvester) that's actually more involved in the programming now are able to work without that "heat".

Publicity, whether good or bad...is still publicity. It pushes the Cadets, Hop and the debate right in front of you, whether you want it to or not.

Here's a question, though...where are the other directors that will do so?

By and large, we all *know* what Hop stands for, we *know* what his ideas are....but how come other directors don't look to make these same inroads into imprinting their design philosophy on DCI in general?

As a follow up, not everyone is lock step on every change presented to the activity. Voting proves as much each year.

Where, then, is the dissenting opinion on an issue? I see lots of .pdf proposals each year by Hop and Fiedler...and I'm glad. They're always thinking about the idiom.

Where is the counterpoint to those proposals, though, such as the 1997 competing proposals for DCI's health from Hop/Scott Stewart?

That kind of debate is priceless in getting people to understand your dynamic as a director (and might even get ya some publicity, too)

Finally, here's another thought...with this publicity, and this public persona that's crafted by the blog/YEA!, is there a danger that we see George more as a guiding force to drum corps than we do Dan Acheson?

Mr. Acheson is charged with stewarding the activity through each year, and its survival. On those counts, he's done a brilliant job...but what of being the face of all corps under its umbrella, and presenting DCI as a product ("this is what we are") to the general public?

With this, I think Hop may be a little ahead of the game...no fault of his own, of course...but maybe Dan could start a blog/offer thoughts about the activity on Season Pass/"State Of DCI" each year etc.

Being head of DCI doesn't preclude him from having a vision for the activity, does it? :)

Just some thoughts...and before it goes there, these are not personal indictments of Hop, Dan or anyone else. Just trying to generate some conversation. Oh, and edited for spelling, and stuff.

Edited by bawker

Just some thoughts...and before it goes there, these are not personal indictments of Hop, Dan or anyone else. Just trying to generate some conversation.

I'm going to report you for such hostile, un-called for indictments

:P

Now, if BD wins....someone can do Godfather, Part III next year.

The Cavaliers can play "Cavillera Rusticana", and can also have a girl on board to play Mary Corleone (Sofia Coppola...horrible actress, great director) to say every few minutes, "I lurve you, cuz."

Show ends with single guard member on the 50 in a lawn chair slumped over. :ph34r:

(note: the following parody requires a general knowledge of the travesty that was parts of Godfather, Part III.)

no. do Goodfellas, and do the Pesci "funny how?" rant into a mic

Jul. 6th, 2006 06:42 pm What are we doing?

I am in the office but Marc and I had a two hour phone call on the 4th.

Today he is working on completing the story line

- Alice and Dani -- what is the connection??? Alice actually is Dani, dreaming of herself in a different and crazy world but ... we need to make that more clear.

- As Alice walks the benches in the ballad, she will come across "stuff" from 2005. She will be handed the hardhat prop, she will he banded the umbrella, she will be reminded of the chess match, and ... and yes, this is cool ---- at one point, Alice and Dani will both be lifted on the benches, seeing each other face to face.

We are also changing how the props turn around,.

We are changing White Rabbitt next week to condense.

We are changing the last 30 seconds of the show.

And the big one ... we continue to add tons of movement to the drum feature --

Flying through the air, bench to bench ... DRAMATIC! It's wild and yes, I guess one would have to say it is definitly not drum corps.

This sounds like either a joke - or GH is doing WAY too much Meth these days . . .

This sounds like either a joke - or GH is doing WAY too much Meth these days . . .

b**bs :worthy: I was thinking the same thing when I read it... :P

What I don't understand is that so many people on DCP trash the Cadets and the narration they have during the show....

I just watched some of the live feed from Indy and the Blue Stars have Narration throughout and not once have I heard anyone say anything about this aspect of their show. I think people need to figure out if they are anti-narration or anti-cadet....or both.

For me, I really enjoy what the Cadets have brought to the field this year - could be the most demanding show out there.

What I don't understand is that so many people on DCP trash the Cadets and the narration they have during the show....

I just watched some of the live feed from Indy and the Blue Stars have Narration throughout and not once have I heard anyone say anything about this aspect of their show. I think people need to figure out if they are anti-narration or anti-cadet....or both.

For me, I really enjoy what the Cadets have brought to the field this year - could be the most demanding show out there.

I totally agree. Why is it no one comments on other corps that use amplification. Tonight I have already heard Blue Stars as well as Crossmen use amplification. I agree it isn't necessarily about anti-narration/amplification, but is anti-Cadets. I have seen the Cadets several times and find their show entertaining with an incredible amount of demand across the board. Let's give credit where credit is due.

The Cadets benches and Cavs ladders have nothing to do with eachother. The Cadets have used staging/props int the past.

IMO there are too many conspiricy theories concerning Hoppy. The guy writes in his blog about swatting a mosquito and the next thing you know he is destorying drum corps. The show is fine, and just be lucky we get the opportunity to see some of the creative process as the season progresses.

Oh yea, the guy may read DCP, but I'm sure he isn't getting jollies seeing his own blog writings being disceted by the same 30 people over and over.