The Tsar's final request.

This place has always reminded me of a Homeowner's Association. The moderators act like the infamous "Architectural Committee". They pick and choose sections of the bylaws to punish their enemies while looking the other way when their friends (or they, themselves) want to thumb their nose at the "rules".

The new ownership has seemed to be more oriented toward making an honest buck than carrying out the old agendas. To that end, I'd call on JohnD to take a hard look at some of the moderators' actions and the "guidelines" themselves and to determine what's in his financial interest.

One other thought. I'd bet that Nikk was banned by someone with less experience in both drum corps and music than he.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Nikk Pilato IM'd me today informing me that he has been banned from DCP. For what, neither one of us are sure. He asked me to post this.

"Well, I've been banned, presumably for the thread with Vic Russell, which is odd because I don't see things in that thread that I don't see every day on DCP. In any case, it provides me with a convenient excuse to retire from DCP, and I suppose a "thank you" is in order for the overeager mod who did the banning. Hope to see some of you in Atlanta, and if anyone ever needs to get in touch, I think you know the email addy (and if you don't, you can find it on my website). Take care y'all."

~>conner

Let me clarify, for the record.

Nick was suspended for three (3) days, not banned.

Also, FYI, the only staff member on DCP that "hands out" suspension, is the Community Administator, and currently that is me.

Lastly, it's a simple process.....I'm made aware of possible infractions, I then research it, and make my ruling based solely on what is wrritten within the CG's. Anyway you color it, a personal attack is a suspendable violation.

As i've stated before...........the Community Guidelines govern the community, we (staff) just enforce when needed.

just to clear things up: Nikk was restricted... not banned.

still think it's to harsh.

~>conner

He called somebody stupid. Flat out. Not that I don't blame him for being outraged over the blatant character attack by vic, but we don't get to call people stupid in these forums. Nikk can come back when and if he wants. Don't blame the mods for his choice.

look, i love Nikk, and yeah i know in past times i would have responded the way he did too. but rules are rules. the junior forum is now officially worse than the politics forum with the season underway, and Nikk, temper and all fired back...and got what he deserved.

i know i have been highly critical of the admin teams...well..lack of consistency since day 1 and will continue to be. but lately, since the last blow up we hashed out in here and around various other forums, they seem to be getting it right.

what got me about Nikk was he did exactly what he trashed and left RAMD for.

i know i have been highly critical of the admin teams...well..lack of consistency since day 1 and will continue to be.

is a lack of consistency something like 3 people breaking the exact same rule , and only ONE gets suspended for 3 days?

Yeah, that happens...and when you question it, the reply is "we do not discuss our dealings with particular members with OTHER members.".............in other words, "we punish people we don't like and let our freinds off scott free.....and there's nothing you can do about it!!!"

I'm still waiting to see somebody not get suspended for saying, straight up, "you are stupid" in a post.

Anyway, people will always have issues with moderators when there's this much volume.

Perhaps Nikk should have taken his own advice and waited TWO hours before he responded (read his first post in that thread). But instead, he reacted and posted within 8 minutes.

I agree that Vic's post was a very personal attack on Nikk's credibility as a teacher. That was uncalled for. While Nikk does make some great posts on DCP, both he and Vic did indeed cross the line. I admit that if someone called me down as Vic did Nikk, I would have been quite upset and probably would have reacted...maybe not in the same manner as Nikk, but I don't think I could sit there for 2 hours and let it stew.

And for the record, I agree with Nikk and what he did with his student. If someone makes statements in a public manner, they shouldn't be able to hide behind anonymity and should be accountable for what was said. If this student could make anonymous statements that upset Nikk, I think Nikk had every right to find him out. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

in other words, "we punish people we don't like and let our freinds off scott free.....and there's nothing you can do about it!!!"

I'm sorry you feel that way, Stu.......but that statement is your opinion, and doesn't reflect the parameters regarding why a member receives, or doesn't receive a suspension/ban.

Wayne: Not to stir up any flames, but what does drum corps experience have to do with moderating a message board?

I don't know how it could be more apparent. If someone has little or no experience in the topic being discussed, it's difficult for them to relate to that topic and, therefore, to the discussions they're moderating. If moderating is only about filtering out obscenities and insults, that can be done with technology (in Nikk's case, filter "stupid").

I still think that some form of general self-identification in either the profile or signature block should be required.