2 Phantom Regiment 84.600

3 The Cadets 84.400

4 Carolina Crown 80.650

5 Colts 74.900

6 Crossmen 73.600

7 Capital Regiment 72.650

DIVISION II

1 Colt Cadets 56.600

*Edited the placements (I copied them exactly from dci.org and they skipped from 3rd to 5th place leaving out fourth)

Well, well, well, it looks like Mr. "it's definitely NOT drum corps" is finally getting his comeuppance. Apparently, the judges are FINALLY starting to agree with him - it's NOT drum corps - and therefore should not be scored as such.

If George Hopkins doesn't want the Cadets to be a drum and bugle corps any longer, that's fine. The most fair and equitable thing for him to do, though, for both his own young performers AND those people in the other organizations that DO want drum and bugle corps to remain unique and distinct musical genre is to follow Star of Indiana's lead and withdraw the Cadets from DCI altogether.

I just hope the judges continue to have the courage to tell Hopkins this - both in terms of scores and in direct language.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back.

God, what a great show Phantom has this year. Amazing music, cool visuals, NO NARRATION. This is drum corps. Finally, a show I can love. The crowd just sat on their hands for the Cadets, and I Love(s park)d every minute of that Phantom bias. One guy even yelled "TERRIBLE ENDING!" at the end. Man, that was great. The stadium exploded when it was announced the Cadets finished 3rd. May the progressive bubble burst. I'm glad PR got 2nd, but they had a better show than BD in my opinion, which sorta treaded water in between big moments. Congratulations, PR.

I am so glad that you enjoyed the person yelling at the Cadets, and that you seem to enjoy their failure as much as Phantom's success. It says a lot. When corps perform for me, I respect it, no matter how much I like or hate the show. I would never dishonor those kids for their effort. I find it hard to believe that you found NOTHING in their show to like, and that you could not at least give them Kudos for something. If it makes you feel better...

CapReg note: What was that cool percussion instrument they had in the pit to the far right? It had a very unique sound.

I asked the same question -- the guy sitting next to us at Michigan City called it a "tube marimba" -- it's an instrument that was made popular by Blue Man Group -- and SCV started using it on the field as far back (as I recall) as 1995 when they started busting out the legos chimes.. It wasn't until we had amps that we could actually hear it beyond about the 8th row, though.. I like the effect it has.. and it's used well in that show.

Stef

I asked the same question -- the guy sitting next to us at Michigan City called it a "tube marimba" -- it's an instrument that was made popular by Blue Man Group -- and SCV started using it on the field as far back (as I recall) as 1995 when they started busting out the legos chimes.. It wasn't until we had amps that we could actually hear it beyond about the 8th row, though.. I like the effect it has.. and it's used well in that show.

Stef

http://www.blueman.com/music/i_tubes.shtml

Well, well, well, it looks like Mr. "it's definitely NOT drum corps" is finally getting his comeuppance. Apparently, the judges are FINALLY starting to agree with him - it's NOT drum corps - and therefore should not be scored as such.

If George Hopkins doesn't want the Cadets to be a drum and bugle corps any longer, that's fine. The most fair and equitable thing for him to do, though, for both his own young performers AND those people in the other organizations that DO want drum and bugle corps to remain unique and distinct musical genre is to follow Star of Indiana's lead and withdraw the Cadets from DCI altogether.

I just hope the judges continue to have the courage to tell Hopkins this - both in terms of scores and in direct language.

:ph34r: Dude, put the hooka down. They STILL scored an 84!! In EARLY JULY!

The show is still being rewarded (quite well) and I'm gonna venture a guess and say that the judges comments on tape said NOTHING about what they're doing being "not drum corps."

I haven't been a big fan of Cadets for a few years, but GEEZ there's a lot of venom directed at that corps around here lately. Just because they're doing something you don't like? Really? Go get a freaking hot dog! I haven't seen anybody copying their show structure since it won last year.. it hasn't set any precedents.. there's no "pack" being led by it.. the only corps copying that formula this year is.. THE CADETS.. what are you so afraid of? Is there a legitimate reason why you feel like some marginal "failure" on their part is some kind of a "victory" for you, personally?

Stef

Signed:

"Bitter, party of one!"

Yes - Cadets withdrawing from DCI is a wonderful idea <**> Just what we need - loose a top three corps. We still haven't recovered from losing Star.

. The crowd just sat on their hands for the Cadets, and I Love(s park)d every minute of that Phantom bias. One guy even yelled "TERRIBLE ENDING!" at the end. Man, that was great. The stadium exploded when it was announced the Cadets finished 3rd. May the progressive bubble burst.

Yes - screaming rude things at a performing corps is a laugh riot <**>

God - this post reminds me of why I HATE midwest crowds.

Signed:

"Bitter, party of one!"

Yes - Cadets withdrawing from DCI is a wonderful idea <**> Just what we need - loose a top three corps. We still haven't recovered from losing Star.

lose one too

jk

I may have to wear my Ohio State shirt to finals...just as long as I don't get kicked out of the stadium.

I'm w/ you... might have to bring out a little of the Scarlet and Grey for Semi's myself!!