What to expect when on tour

hmnn.... It's a tough question with a tough answer. The marcher has to know when enough is enough.

But the corps instructors, nurses, staff should also have a clear handle on keeping the kids healthy. Ours did.

In the end, the responsibility lies on the custodial, which would be the staff. But who would sue a corps? They don't have enough money for anything to begin with.

Wow. I DO remember notes and itineraries that went home explaining to parents what MAY happen in event of emergency...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o i gotta good one

expect most of your housing sites to less than 3 shower heads

which means in most cases doubling up and trippling up

rinse, lather, NEXT

o and dont expect to always be housed at schools

well the military armory wasnt all that bad

well expect the fact that at like 3 in the morning being told not to wonder off from the armory and that it was a bad area.

Edited by gear48

"hmnn.... It's a tough question with a tough answer. The marcher has to know when enough is enough. "

But don't they always tell them to push themselves to there limit? That is how they become very good. How are these young rookies to know what their limits are, until they have pushed it too far? And why do we never hear about it on the websites?

The ice rink in Canada wasn't so bad (the rink was thawed) . . . until we had to shower. Ah, the memories.

The ice rink in Canada wasn't so bad (the rink was thawed) . . . until we had to shower. Ah, the memories.

WOW

hmnn.... It's a tough question with a tough answer. The marcher has to know when enough is enough.

But the corps instructors, nurses, staff should also have a clear handle on keeping the kids healthy. Ours did.

In the end, the responsibility lies on the custodial, which would be the staff. But who would sue a corps? They don't have enough money for anything to begin with.

Wow. I DO remember notes and itineraries that went home explaining to parents what MAY happen in event of emergency...

On tour, you can expect too:

Find out that you CAN get romantic in a bus seat with 43 family member sitting next to you

Everyone else on the bus KNOWS you are getting romantic, and they dont really care

Expect to play the game... several times

Expect your bus driver to wake you up by missing a shift or two

Expect to hate your drum major in the morning when he/she turns on the lights

Expect to eat Tuna.... OFTEN

Expec6t to not know what state you are in at least once a week

Expect to reset "one more time"... again and again and again

Expect to work harder than you have ever worked the week of the world championships

Expect that your last performace of the year will be nothing but a blur

Expect to play the game... several times

I HATE THE GAME

haha

i got another one

expect to do a full run through to letter b of the opener......haha that killed me

OK I am going to start a debate on here.

Expect to get hurt.

Why is it so hush hush when there are injuries during the year? Staff wants it to be kept quiet so they do not get any bad publicity. But in all reality it should be out in the open so that kids wanting to become members know that if you are not in shape and ready for this grueling summer, you may get hurt, and hurt real bad.

At a resent show I spoke with a guy, who's grandson dropped during a practice on the field, and suffered a heat stroke. He was hospitalised for 2 weeks and after another 2 weeks is still recuporating from it. Dr. said he is lucky to be alive, and also said he would not be able to attend college this fall because of it. He has some brain damage from it that he may never recover from.

Now I know this is very extreme, but why would this type of stuff be kept from future members and their families? Who is really benefiting, and who is paying the price?

Most corps stress preparing for the stress of the summer during the winter. If you exercise regularly and are in relatively good shape when you move in you are a lot less likely to hurt yourself during the summer. Corps don't ignore this, and everyone knows it's a reality that they COULD get hurt during the season when they move in.

Don't EXPECT to get hurt... but do expect to hurt

I can't imagine that the kid who had a heat stroke just dropped without any prior symptoms. It sounds like he was trying to push himself too far despite what his body said about it. Some people try to act too bad ### for their own good, and think it's a sign of weakness if they sit out of rehearsal for a while. I don't know if some corps encourage this type of behaviour (Actually, I do know of one inparticular that does, but I'll refrain from commenting on that), but the ones I marched didn't.

Edited by dbc03

dude, i think we were there with you! you talking about 2002? if you are, then yeah, that shower was ridiculously cold! fun times.