Do you think popular music has a place in corps?

So, used to be back in the 70's/early 80's that some corps would play current (or recent) Top 40 tunes. There's been Wham! on the field, Striesand...you name it. Some are dated and show their age, while others (such as Madison's 75 closer) hold their own.

Seems the trend died off around 1984/1985, and stayed dead for a good long while.

(Crown's "Watermark" was a nice exception.)

Recent trends with some of the ballad selections indicate that this might be returning in a way.

Do you think this is a good idea to indoctrinate some new folks into drum corps? Some people outside our niche....and even more to the point, outside of the sphere of wind ensemble/classical/jazz totally would have an instant "in" to the show: doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Additionally, can you think of any recent popular music (cue Radiohead show suggestion, which I agree with) that would work on the field?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think corps are more interested in the music's applicableness (word?) to thier show theme and and it translates to the field moreso than it's popularity.

It is cool to hear some more common stuff.

Also it's interesting that the most "new-school" if you will corps out there, the cadets, is the one using so much "pop" music, since the "esoteric" or whatever music complaint tends to go hand in hand with the amps/woodwind complaint

i think corps are more interested in the music's applicableness (word?) to thier show theme and and it translates to the field moreso than it's popularity.

It is cool to hear some more common stuff.

Also it's interesting that the most "new-school" if you will corps out there, the cadets, is the one using so much "pop" music, since the "esoteric" or whatever music complaint tends to go hand in hand with the amps/woodwind complaint

I certainly agree that no one should put making sure a piece is "popular" ahead of designing a cohesive show concept. It is notable that Cadets are utulizing some newer stuff...as well as 'Coats, and I guess we can even include Crossmen, with "My Humps".

It's funny about corps doing rock works...I absolutely hate the Moody Blues. However, Glassmen 1994 is probably in my Top 12 shows of all time. :beer:

I know I'm dangerously close to starting the amps/woodwinds/esoteric music-go-round with this thread.

For the sake of debate here...imagine a popular piece on the field however you wish...all brass, with vocalist, as a percussion break, etc.

Edited by bawker

Chicago, anyone? :beer:

Old school Chicago before Peter Cetera went "power-ballad." :beer:

I thought BD's Tommy show was great. VK would use pop tunes to great effect too. As for modern "pop" music, not so much. :sshh:

Chicago, anyone? :beer:

Rush? Mabye YYZ or Limelight?

Do you think this is a good idea to indoctrinate some new folks into drum corps? Some people outside our niche....and even more to the point, outside of the sphere of wind ensemble/classical/jazz totally would have an instant "in" to the show: doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Additionally, can you think of any recent popular music (cue Radiohead show suggestion, which I agree with) that would work on the field?

I have taken people to the Massillon DCI show (Bluecoats home show) every year that have never seen a corps show for the past seven years. Many have been outside our niche, and one who was WAY outside the sphere of wind ens / classical / jazz. All were hooked after those nights, and every one of them has returned to the Massillon show or shows in other cities (some live out of town) each and every year since!!

This year my wife and I will have the privilege of taking a member of the Cleveland Orchestra's chamber ensemble (oboe player). I've been trying to get this person to come to this show for the past five years, and have been told every time that they think music on a football field is ludicrous!!! Well, this year a wager was made on the Super Bowl (GO STEELERS!!) and since I won, this person has to go to the show on 7/31!!!!

I will report back with the "results" of the reaction!!!!!

:)