Which corps has the best ballad this year?

Best ballad?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best ballad of 2006?

• Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Cadets
    • Capital Regiment
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cavaliers
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Esperanza
    • Glassmen
    • Mandarins
    • Madison Scouts
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Seattle Cascades
    • Southwind
    • Spirit from JSU

Of the shows I have heard (which is almost all of the top 12,) Bluecoats have the best, hands down. :)

Bloooo and Phantom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this earlier in another thread, but it got buried before people could read it, I think.

If you have seasonpass, check out the clip they put up for Phantom at the Atlanta Evening show. It's their entire ballad, and it's from hi camera with a view of almost the entire field. It blows me away. It might replace Fire of Eternal Glory as my favorite Phantom ballad and even my favorite ballad overal, BK 99. Check it out.

In reverse order:

3. Cadets - best use of voice yet (I'm not an amp fan, but this made me think about my stance)

2. Bluecoats - WOW! Rich low brass, tastefull trumpet playing, tremendous mello line sounds like dessert!

1. Phantom - I've loved this song since I sang the TTBB version in college. I'm not sure, but I think Phantom's version is bassed on the fairly new and incredibly poplular wind transcription. The first time I heard it, I really wanted to hear it after it was cleaned. Now I almost want to cry every time I find a new clip/APD/stream... I really think this will stand up for Phantom Phans right along side all the classic Phantom lush ballads (my favs in no particular order: Claire de Lune, Fire of Eternal Glory, Nessun Dorma (sp?), 18th Variation on a Theme by Paganini)

from who i've seen live, i'd actually say blue.......stars B)

Phantom Regiment #1, The Cadets #2 ( I actually LIKE the singing)

#1. BLUE DEVILS!!!! Yes they have a ballad and it's freakin gorgeous, when they turn from backfield and bring the (2nd) cross forward that turns into the "daggar". WOW! You know it starts with the small groups of brass playing different sections?

#2. Cadets - get over the voice, if people weren't so focused on that they'd actually realize that underneath was one of the greatest Cadet ballads ever!

#3? Jury is still out.

Yes, I'd put the Cadets ballad right behind PR this year. I acutally can't think of many ballads this year that I don't like. I don't really like the Cavies ballad overall, but I do like the sound they put forth as much as anybody's during their ballad. I have officially deemed this the year of the ballad. :)