San Antonio aftermath...

you never walk away singing the flag parts. How does the guard scores weigh so heavily?

They are the "lyrics" to the music. They are a part of the visual score and they are a part of the visual when looking at GE.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't weigh heavily due to being in the visual part of the re-cap :blink:

But they do add the color and hold a storyline together and they show the emotion of the show and enhance the music. To me guard never gets any love.....but whatever. And its important to Bloos success because the guards been consistently top 5. It's the lowest score of their whole re-cap......its important to improve it. They'll never pass Cavies or BD without a better guard score cause BD and Cavies guard will only get better..........

Edited by Musical_Spinner

you never walk away singing the flag parts. How does the guard scores weigh so heavily?

They are an unbelievably important part of the corps. They have their own caption, plus they impact visual effect, visual performance, and visual ensemble......that is why it weighs so heavily on the score

WTF does walking away singing have to do with anything? Did you get confused on your way to a concert and go to a drum corps show by accident?

I realize that the guard does add alot of color and showmanship to the corps visually. I just don't think that they should weigh in as much as they are. the guard is only about 20-25% of the corps. Should they weigh as much as a horn line of 55-60% of the corps??

RF

I realize that the guard does add alot of color and showmanship to the corps visually. I just don't think that they should weigh in as much as they are. the guard is only about 20-25% of the corps. Should they weigh as much as a horn line of 55-60% of the corps??

RF

They dont wiegh as much

Guard effects:

1. visual ensemble

2. visual effect

3. visual performance (but barely)

4. and obviously their own caption

Brass effects:

1. Visual ensemble

2. visual effect

3. music ensemble

4. music effect

5. visual performance (heavily)

6. and obviously their own caption

Most horn lines are about 65-70 people while most guard are about 36...seems pretty fair to me

dont forget that for years guard did not have their own caption and had no direct impact on the scores. There are alot of corps that would not have won if they were under the current judging system that we have now. The first one that comes to mind woudl be SCV in 99. If guard were a caption that actually effected the score back then they would have gotten killed by BD....same thing with phantom in 96

**snip** If Cavaliers don't add some difficulty to their show they may end up 3rd. Even my mother said they have an easy visual package.

You're joking right? That show was more difficult looking than any other show last night. Not to mention it was an extremely well designed visual offering. The execution is still not completely clean.

Edited by jjeffeory

My brother was at the show, and he was shocked that Phantom beat Coats, and he was rooting for Phantom, since he used to march there. He said rumor had it at the show that one of the judges for percussion(which PR won tonight) had marched or instructed at Phantom. That could explain that.

Yes, Jeff Prosperie marched in Regiment. But if you look at the recaps from Denton on sunday night, Allan Kritensen's scores are a lot closer in line to Jeff's on Saturday night. IMO, Steve Ulicny was propping up some other corps percussion scores.

Garry

My bad. You got me there, I was wrong. :)

WOW.......just WOW!!!!

Somebody on DCP admitted they were WRONG!!!!

That's gotta be a first.... :blink::lol::lol: