• Bridgemen
    • Velvet Knights
    • Spirit of Atlanta
    • Blue Stars
    • Star of Indiana
    • Sky Ryders
    • Argonne Rebels
    • Other

A vote for Troopers, mid- to late-60's. Unique image and no one generally saw them until later in the season. Incredible aura around them everywhere they performed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Phantom. They came to our show in North Tonawanda the year before the NT Open started and blew me away as well as the entire audience. I don't think anyone heard that much volume before in NT.

What about these guys?

NS79vote.jpg

Madison.

I'll never forget "Slaughter" when they sucked all the air out of the stadium before they peeled faces giving it back.

Yep, saw this live the day after 1975 DCI at a non judged show in Hershey, PA. Very last chance the corps would ever do the show and they let it all hang out. :wub:

Next jaw dropping moment was the wedge move in Rhapsody in Blue. Entire horn line packed together around mid-field cranking the volume to 11 again.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yep, saw this live the day after 1975 DCI at a non judged show in Hershey, PA. Very last chance the corps would ever do the show and they let it all hang out. :rock:

Next jaw dropping moment was the wedge move in Rhapsody in Blue. Entire horn line packed together around mid-field cranking the volume to 11 again.

I remember that show had a "fan-o-meter" to determine who won. Loudest crowd response won.

I also remember being VERY hung over from the celebration the night before. :rock::rock::beer::beer:

I remember that show had a "fan-o-meter" to determine who won. Loudest crowd response won.

I also remember being VERY hung over from the celebration the night before. :rock::rock::rock::beer:

Yep, and there was also a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) to verify the results. I don't know the deal with the "fan-o-meter" but the CPA part was true.

The CPA played mellie with Westshoremen who sponsored the show. :P

Old school? To me it means pre DCI. How about BAC, BS, St. Lucy's, St. Kevins, the Royalairs, St. Joe's, Troopers just to name a few? If you were there you'd know. While the list includes great corps and DCI has had it's share, in the '50s and '60s you got blown out of the park every show by somebody. Sometimes every corps would knock the stands down. They could march and play. The crowds were large and they went crazy during performances. It wasn't just blasting horns and smashing drum heads as some think. There was both talent and quality. Listen to the recordings. Those were the days!

"REAL "Olde School":

If we are talking "Olde School", the really "Old School" (As in pre DCI corps as noted above) should have been included. In addition to thos mentioned a nod must go to St Vincents Cadets, Cambridge Caballeros, St Marys Cardinals, Bridgeports PAL Cadets, & St Raphael's Buccaneers, St Catherine's Queensmen, the Loretto Knights, Selden Cadets, NY Kingsmen, St Roccos Cadets, CMCC Warriors, Toronto Optimists, DeLaSalle Oaklands & Cadets LaSalle, and a great many more that "Knocked the stands down" way back when "Drum corps was drum corps". :huh:

Elphaba

I also remember being VERY hung over from the celebration the night before. :worthy::blink::worthy::blink:

Hey Mike. I was way too young in those days. I'd be happy to tip one with you now if we ever get a chance to meet up. :mmm: