Lookin for a corps in 2007

OK you DCA'rs. I'm a DCI ageout and still in need of a fix for drum corps. Can anyone out there persuade me which corps I should go out for in '07? I'm temporarily looking at the Buccaneers since they are in the same state as me, but I'll go anywhere that puts out a quality show.

Any thoughts? :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK you DCA'rs. I'm a DCI ageout and still in need of a fix for drum corps. Can anyone out there persuade me which corps I should go out for in '07? I'm temporarily looking at the Buccaneers since they are in the same state as me, but I'll go anywhere that puts out a quality show.

If you're from Pittsburgh as your post says, geographically, Mon Valley Express would probably be the closest. They're a smaller group with plenty of potential, just need some more bodies.

If you really can go anywhere, just go to http://www.dcacorps.org and find a show to go to and go asap. Then, ultimately go to finals in Rochester this next Labor Day weekend and check it all out and see what you like.

If you have the passion and desire, there is a place for you somewhere and we will be happy to have your involvement.

:blink:

If you're in southern PA, we are not that far. We are starting now to build now for our 2007 season. Look for our open house announcement on the website soon.

www.ShenandoahSound.org

my suggestion is that you get yourself to some DCA shows and/or Finals up in Rochester!

Find the Corps that seems to fit you! DCA has so many different corps with different styles, you may want to make sure that you aren't chooseing the wrong style of corps.. Some people out there don't Like Broadway, Spanish, Classical, Rock, Jazz... So make sure the corps you choose doesn't play that type of music!

Me, My Corps Plays Spanish.. AND I FREAKING LOVE IT!

Hawthorne Caballeros 2007 Open House

Sunday November the 26th 2006. The Location of our Open House will be our American Legion home, Post 199 at 1 Legion Place in Hawthorne NJ. The start time will be 12:00 noon.

Also keep in mind that no matter where you live many corps have people that travel many hours to march a certain corps. many corps will help to find rides or other people comeing from the same area!

Like someone said if you are from the Pittsburgh area. Mon Valley Express is really close. We practice in South Park at the fair grounds.

our web site is http://www.monvalleyexpress.org/ . if you have any questions about the group pm me and i can get you in touch with one of our staff members who can answer anything you may want to know.

Well, DCIguy01, there are a lot of things to consider with a DCA corps. Distance is definitely important, especially since you'll be commuting every weekend in the spring and summer for rehearsals and competitions. Think about how many miles you might have to drive, divide that by however many miles per gallon your car gets, and then multiply it by $3.50, $4.00, or more for next year.

But tell us what you like in drum corps? What music would you like to march on the field? Classical (mainly Romantic period), Symphonic Band style, Broadway, Jazz, Swing, Latin/Spanish, Rock, Movie scores, a little of everything, or no preference?

If you really have your heart set on a style, then that could help you figure out where you might want to go. But seeing a lot of corps live is the best bet for finding a match, especially if you can get to a rehearsal or two before a show and see how the different groups rehearse. From personal experience rehearsal jumping prior to a show, there is a HUGE difference in rehearsal style from one corps to another.

Some more things to consider... do you want to be in a long-established, large corps that has a well-cemented identity? Do you want to join a corps on the move, growing every year and beginning to make waves? Or perhaps you want to get in early with a brand new corps and have a huge impact on the future? Answering those questions will also give you a better idea of where you want to go.

But do remember this is DCA. There is no "touring" so although there is no tour fee in the thousands of dollars, you will be forking over a lot of cash if you drive a good distance by yourself or even with a small carpool.

Just some ideas. Answer those questions, and you might have your mind made up pretty easily once you realize what it is you want from a drum corps.

Edited by DrumCorps21

There are currently 2 cars driving from pgh. to Reading every weekend. I decided to go there because they have a I like classical music and they have a well run program. It just happens to be the closest Open class Corps to here. If you want more info, email me at street43@aol.com

Walter Street

With some corps, one has to first get over the hurdle of their membership application being accepted. Maybe visit a few corps to see where you may feel the most comfortable, then apply.

Best of luck.