wierdest shows of all time?

I popped in my 91 CD today and I found myself loving the Blue Devils from that year. I kept thinking how really strange the music was even way back when I heard it, for the first time (at the time not very BD like) but loved it then and now none-the-less. So that brings me to the point of this post what do you think the top 5 all time wierdest shows are? Mine are as follows:

5. BD 91- Creepy music and yet it is fun to listen to.

4. Star 93- My absolute favorite show of all time but the music definantly made us all go hmmm the first time we heard it.

3.Blue Knights 93- Man I can't wrag on my home team but the long capes and the Star Trek show made for a wierd vibe.

2. Crown- Medusa 02? Lightning bolts and all sorts of wierd stuff was going on here. Very odd.

1. Cadets 06- Odd things going on, but give them their props (no pun intended) for trying.

So what's your top 5 strange shows?

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'88 Suncoast Sound - their "Contemporary Child" show. It was considered extremely avant garde at the time and (in my opinion) underappreciated by the fans. It was way WAY ahead of it's time and in my mind is a classic. I vote for it every year to be on the Classic Countdown, but maybe I'm the only one.

'88 Suncoast Sound - their "Contemporary Child" show. It was considered extremely avant garde at the time and (in my opinion) underappreciated by the fans. It was way WAY ahead of it's time and in my mind is a classic. I vote for it every year to be on the Classic Countdown, but maybe I'm the only one.

Funny, I just watched this show last night. Definitely ahead of its time. And great.

Also weird from that year: Spirit of Atlanta with their "Petrouchka" show. A total 180 from their usual identity, and a surprisingly faithful arrangement of the original music. But for Spirit, very, very weird.

Yah ... when I first saw the topic title, Spirit '88 and Suncoast '88 were the ones that immediately came to mind. And you know, I still don't think that (vocals aside) Cadets '06 is any "weirder" than those two.

Yah ... when I first saw the topic title, Spirit '88 and Suncoast '88 were the ones that immediately came to mind. And you know, I still don't think that (vocals aside) Cadets '06 is any "weirder" than those two.

As a way of demonstrating just how ahead of it's time that Suncoast show was, look at the themes... adolescent girl guard character, lost in fantasies and nightmares, confronts her demons.. sound familiar? No, I'm not talking about Cadets 2005! I'm talking about Suncoast '88 of course..

Even the musical style which would sound familiar to today's listener was unheard of at the time.. that show was pure genius.

And I agree - the Spirit show in '88 was an enormous departure for them.

Also no discussion of strange Drum Corps shows can be complete without tossing in Star's space show - I don't remember off the top of my head what year that was but it was really out there.

Star's space show was in 1986. That was a weird one and featured silver wigs on the guard, very unusual guard props and some crazy drill.

Star's 1990 Belshazzar's Feast show was a bit edgy for its time. Featuring the biblical writing "mene, mene, tekel upharsin" on a large banner.

Crown's 1996 show featured the large chess pieces and was rather abstract.

The Cadet's 1986 show where the guard never appeared until the end of the show, and they used very unusual stretchy visual accents (I wouldn't call them flags) was also very out there.

As if that wasn't enough, Spirit follows up in '89 with Interstellar Suite. The uniforms even seemed to fit the theme. :D

On the DVD, it seems like the crowd doesn't applaud until the end. I mean, y'know, here and there, but you can almost sense the stunned looks on their faces. It feels like they don't know what hit them. Spirit didn't put much of a "drum corps" spin on the music, which I think is really admirable, but it also seems to have confused more than a few in the crowd.

Also no discussion of strange Drum Corps shows can be complete without tossing in Star's space show - I don't remember off the top of my head what year that was but it was really out there.

I love that show. Listening to '86 Star just wasn't done in post-1989 Freelancers, since they'd both played "E.T.," but I loved Star's take on "The Conversation" from "Close Encounters." Brilliant.

Agree 100%. An awesome show that took most people several viewings to really appreciate.