Are Scouts & SCV still among "the elite?"

I think we may need to alter our definition of "elite". To me, from 98 through 2004 there were 4 elite corps (BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies), and every time we mentioned the top 5, the #5 position was nearly a revolving door welcome to just about anyone. "Elite" was a moniker

reserved for those corps who had a consistant chance at winning a championship.

The last couple of years we have seen a change to that 5,6,7 placement. Phantom has made solid strides to challenge for the top 4 positions consistantly, and now it appears Bloo is ready to take those same strides for the top 5. New corps moving in to the top 6 doesn't mean the corps they are beating are no longer "elite", there is just more competition (a very good thing).

Perhaps now we have 6-7 "solid" corps: the original 4 + Phantom, Bloo, and maybe even Crown. All these corps seemingly could win a championship if not this year then maybe next year or the year after. It does seem that in any given year that 2 or 3 of these corps will step up as "elite" to really contend for the championship.

As for Madison, I think their inconsistancy is what has taken them out of "elite" status. Fan favorite, always. Elite, not any more.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's telling that there's a thread or two asking why SCV isn't getting the attention they should, but there are (understandably) no threads like that about, say, Phantom, Cavies, or BD. If pressed, I'd probably admit that Vanguard is my favorite corps, but it would seem that, for a lot of others, they are falling off the radar a little. If they weren't, would someone have felt the need to start a "Hey, did you notice SCV?" thread?

To be fair, they're not the only corps to get a thread like that, but the other corps who have -- BK, BAC, Glassmen, etc. -- aren't part of the "elite" Orpheus mentioned in his original post.

I think it's a shame that we can consider corps elite. How elite do we get in this activity. We're the elite of the marching community, Now we have the elite of the elite.

Are the Raiders the elite of D3 and Spartans and Academy the elite of D2.

What makes a corps elite, winning. What if a corps is winning but poorly run. How about the corps that make it on the field every year beating the odds. Jester, St Johns, Blue Saints or corps that put on entertaining shows every year and give the kids an experience over and above, Jersey Surf, Pioneer and others.

So my asnwer to that question is yes, but so is everyone else on the field this year.

I should add I'm not trying to demean the orginal poster because I understand why he is asking the question.

Edited by Blackstar

They have a total of 6 DCI championships over 3 decoades!

And just one championship in the past 15 years. I love SCV, they're one of my favorites, but their name just doesn't carry the same weight as Blue Devils (5 titles since 1990), Cadets (5 titles), or Cavaliers (6 titles, soon to be 7 :P)

It's SCV - I would definatley count them among the top groups, but Madison has fallen out of that group since 2000. SCV may have had a few rough years, but they were 3rd just two years ago. It is not necessarily that SCV is not doing as well, as it is possible that two other corps have joined the ranks of being elite (PR and Blue). However, I won't call Blue elite until I see them repeat this top level performance for several years in a row.

For now, the truly elite remain Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Cadets dominating the top 3. Regiment is poised to join this group as long as it manages to maintain the current momentum.

Is performance level really the major factor?

I think elite might be actually be definied by the quality of experience for the participants...

- how well do they eat?

- how safe do they travel?

- what is the quality of instruction?

- how much to they learn?

- do they have a good time?

I might add to that the organization's ability to sustain quality in each of those areas.

I'd say both organizations are absolutely elite in those regards.

I think the answer to the question of whether SCV or Madison should be considered part of the elite anymore is answered by the increased buzz and energy that arises the moment either of them enters the field. Say what you will about the merits of the corps show designs or the quality of the performances, but for me, I'll judge their status on the palpable change of energy and anticipation that occurs each time they take the field. That's what makes them elite. And as a result of that special energy that both create, any kid in attandance is bound to fall for either of the two.

Case in point, SCV last year. By all accounts a down year for them, but, aside from the Cadets and Phantom last year, noone performed and created as much positive energy from the audience as SCV did at Finals. They are a class act and every time they enter the field, they command respect and admration from the audience.