When did drum corps make you cry

The last notes I played on my snare before I "attempted" to sing Auld Lang Sine in 96, my age-out year. I realized that I would never be able to play my snare in a competitive junior corps again. That fact was also ironed into my brain the entire summer as I was the only age-out in the battery at Bluecoats that year and Jason Williams, one of our techs, kept using it as a motivational tool for everyone else that year. Thanks, Jason. Actually, it was one of the best times of my life, and one that is seered into my brain.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The end of SCV 1989.

Most of SCV's 1992 show.

The ending credits of the 1992 PBS Broadcast, where they showed moments from drum corps shows of the past, to a string arrangement of "Danny Boy".

The Gail Royer tribute on the 1993 PBS Broadcast, where they showed moments from SCV shows of the past, to "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again".

Phantom Regiment 1993, "Fire Of Eternal Glory".

Boston Crusaders 2000, "Time To Say Goodbye".

Aging out.

Wait, does admitting that I cried during these times mean I get my Man Card taken away???

'02 Boston all the way... when the show ended nice and soft... :)

SCV 88/89 Music of the Night push

Cadets 83 Rocky Point reprise

Cadets 87 Dissolving company front

Cadets 00 Company front through end

Phantom 89 Last 30 seconds or so, starting with the blasting trumpet soli

Phantom 93 Fire of Eternal Glory push

Phantom 96 Dissonant chord resolution to end

Phantom 03 Canon reprise through end

A few years after I aged out, I was listening to a recording of 1982 27th Lancers and during Niner-Two, I realized I was crying. I also shed a few tears when Lancers did the alumni corps in 1994. I have no doubt whatsoever that I will cry like a baby if I'm fortunate enough to see the Anaheim Kingsmen alumni corps perform.

Sometimes, the big crescendo in "On the Town" by SCV in 1983 will make me teary-eyed.

RES

Boston 00, Time to say goodbye

Phantom 03, the beginning and end make me very teary

Phantom 06, Ave Maria

I've seen Glassmen's show a3 times this year so far, twice in San Antonio and once in Baton Rouge (fortunately they went on before it started raining) I've always been a fan of Beethoven's music, and was highly antipicating this show because of it, particularly Moonlight Sonata. It completely blew me away, very well done contra solo, and at the end of the show, Ode to Joy moved me to tears. Amazing that Beethoven wrote his most powerful symphony when he was almost completely deaf. Glassmen pulled this show off very well I think.

In 1997 when i was on staff at Spirit and we made Semi-Finals. We came back to the buses and Jimmy Newman had champagne ready and we were spraying the kids like we just won the world series. It was an awesome experience.