When did drum corps make you cry

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1988 at the end of velvet knight's show. when the stripper-like girl came out of the patriotic hat.

Yes. God bless America.

Some recent PR and SCV 81.

SCV's 99 show had me at the edge of my seat the whole performance...incredible.

As for making me cry...the opening of Phantom Regiment's 96 show was so emotional that I have cried before.

Hearing Danny boy is always sad too.

I also cry when I hear corps songs.

In my 35-plus years of drum corps there have been several moments that made me cry:

Madison Scouts finished their encore after the stunning victory to win DCI in 1975, then formed a semi-circle to play 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. It was played with such intensity, I witnessed many grown men simply bow their heads and weep. Every time I hear the Scouts play the song I think of that moment.

The deaths of Jim Ott and Gale Royer.

In the Reading Buccaneers it is tradition to gather in a close circle after every show to sing the corps song. One of the most emotional times was after DCA Finals in 1981. We had gone undefeated all year but lost a tough battle to the Hurricanes.

I guess the biggest tear jerker I can remember was watching the 27th Lancers Alumni perform in 1994. At the end of Danny Boy there was not a dry eye anywhere! I felt a similar emotional wave at the last DCI Classic Countdown during the Lancers show.

I got teary-eyed after we got off the field after performing our show in Finals in '96. Little did I know what was coming up at retreat. :)

We also did a private concert that summer for an older woman who donated money to the corps, but couldn't get to shows. So we went to her house and she came out on her porch and we played a concert for her. It was pretty cool. Only thing is her house is right across the street from a funeral home and the family of a girl who was hit by a car was there at the time. We ended up playing for that family, too. We played Ave Maria, same piece as they're playing this year, but a different arrangement. I don't think there was a dry eye in the corps when we were done with that piece.

The other time that really got me was the first time I saw Regiment live in 2003. It was their end of rehearsal run-through in Leander, TX. I had just driven 7 hours and got there just in time for the run-through. When they did the Canon reprise at the end it really got to me. It wasn't just the amazing performance, but to me it was a loud declaration that Regiment was back to contending for a title after some rough years in the late '90's.

Danny Boy - both on and off the field. It makes me so emotional even to hear it on TV or something.

Spirit's tribute show in 2003 (?)

Semi's was the first time I saw it and had no idea what was coming.

I was sitting alone in the stands that day.

When the photo flags came out I just choked and teared up.

Really beautiful and unexpected - a favorite DCI moment.

(even if it was in Orlando) B)