Why can't people just be humble?

i think many people see it that way, even if they're told differently.

i do know this...the Crossmen have not missed finals two years in a row since 87-88

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .and if they do, it has nothing to do with Hopkins.

This, let me reiterate, is a ridiculous topic that should be closed.

People who post stuff on here re: Hop's Blog are giving him WAY too much power/continually stroking his ego. He obviously has no problems being candid/saying stuff off the cuff, and I often wonder how many times he writes stuff just to get a rise out of people. By posting stuff like this, you might as well be saying "keep writing that crap, Hoppy!"

If you don't like what he has to say, or if it annoys you, you can either:

a. e-mail him about it (all indications point to the fact that he seems to respond to a lot of e-mail)

b. just stop reading it.

If you don't like what he has to say, or if it annoys you, you can either:

a. e-mail him about it (all indications point to the fact that he seems to respond to a lot of e-mail)

b. just stop reading it.

I have emailed him and even talked to him via phone. Won't give all the details except to say that he freely admits giving Cadets "first dibs" on a lot of stuff, and didn't deny a lot of things I took issue with. I do respect him for that.

Maybe I am wrong in my translation of his blog, but all of the rehearsals I have witnessed (including one this year) Hop has been on the scaffold or in the box area and at times barking out things that need fixed or things he sees that need improving. <**>

Why isn't he giving that kind of attention to Bones???????

I spent a full day at rehearsal with the Cadets this year and aside from Hop filling the members in on the day to start and taking about the show the night before, he left the field and let the staff do their thing.

Yep -- he is Dir of Cadets, but he is also the Exec Director of YEA! YEA's own text on its "About YEA" page reads as follows:

While amassing a long and storied tradition, YEA! groups have been recognized as World Champions in various disciplines. Over 750 members have had the experience of winning gold medals for their performances, quite possibly an honor they would not be able to realize in any other part of their lives.

YEA! invites the world of tomorrow and makes a huge difference in the lives of thousands of young people each year. Within the programs of YEA! young people gain an edge. They learn to cooperate, they learn to set goals, they work long and hard and they learn what it takes to be a success!

While some think this topic is ridiculous, a good part of my point on this is a simple question: Do young people gain an edge within the programs of YEA? (Look at YEA's philosophy above) And if Hop is the head honcho, what is he doing to propagate this?

In previous postings a while back, I threw out thoughts about how Crossmen seem not to be as successful as thay could be under YEA's umbrella. One only has to look at the jumps Crown took after separating from YEA a few years back.

Simply put -- George Hopkins is Exec Director of YEA! The responsiblity of the success of ALL organizations under YEA's umbrella falls on him. If he's too busy worrying about Cadets Ensemble rehearsals, and being involved and "hands on" with them, other parts of the organization will suffer. Hop's Blog appears on the Cadets link on YEA's web page. Nothing associated with Hop appears on Crossmen's pages with regard to staff, and no "Hop's Blog" on Bones pages....

To use an NFL analogy -- if the team loses on Sunday, no one ultimately blames the offensive or defensive coordinators -- they throw the mic at the head coach.

You realize that Hop is the Director of the Cadets, not the Crossmen....Scott Litzenberg is the Crossmen's director.

YEA supports the financial and organizational side of YEA - Last time I checked the corps is making it down the road and the members are eating well. I don't think the Crossmen would be around(finances and management), if not under the YEA umbrella.....so suggesting that if they would seperate they would jump in the rankings doesnt make sense.

Lastly, and more importantly....How do you measure success? By the sounds of it, strictly based on the numbers and rankings at the end of the night. Colts have made the top 12 for a few years now....I guess they aren't successful. Based on your theories at least.

What a ridiculous topic...

I agree. The thread originator marched Bluecoats awhile back and has an axe to grind. Look, how an organization runs their business, is their business, nobody elses. If he wanted to tell Hopkins how to run his organization he should email him directly. Otherwise this former marcher with the Bluecoats whose Corps could never beat the Cadets when he marched just looks like he's got some sour grapes in his bag of groceries. It just seems like such a vindictive thread.

Edited by X DM

I agree, The thread originator marched Bluecoats and has an axe to grind. Look, how an organization runs their business, is their business, nobody elses. If he wanted to tell Hopkins how to run his organization he should email him directly. Otherwise this former marcher with the Bluecoats whos Corps could never beat the Cadets when he marched just looks like he's got some sour grapes in his bag of groceries. It just seems like such a vindictive thread.

Dude, dragging the Bluecoats into this and even thinking for a moment that you somehow know why the OP posted this is one of the most arrogant things I have ever heard. If you have a beef with the OP, fine. But you're not a mind-reader. Grow up.

Here's a posting from Hop's blog on 7/27/06:

"Well, I am sitting in the press box, watching ensemble. There was a day when I used to do ensemble -- in fact, there were 15 or 20 years of such, but, Tom Aungst became better than I am at cleaning and Gino has the knack. Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure I am prepared each night, that I know the musical interpretations and that -- well, I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

George, I have the utmost respect for the YEA! organization and what it stands for. I also have much respect for most of your acomplishments in your 30 plus years in the activity. However the posting on your blog I cite above troubles me, as has your demeanor and attitude over the past few years.

I have had the opportunity to witness about a dozen rehearsals of the Cadets over the past three years, and I would like to strongly suggest that you leave the music/visual/ensemble stuff to those whom you hired to handle it! In short....quit being so darn "hands on" like things won't run well unless your involved!!

The quote in your blog..."I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members..." is truly troubling!!! If you think you are that good, then why have Tom Aungst, Gino and others around?? Furthermore, why is it so tough for you to be prepared each night and know the musical interpretations?? Dude, you're the head of YEA! and should devote your time and energies to making sure that ENTIRE organization runs right, and is firing on all cylinders!! TO INCLUDE MAKING SURE CROSSMEN HAVE AS EQUAL A SHOT AT THINGS AS CADETS!!!

Your 7/27 blog truly proves three things to me:

1). You have the perception is that unless you're involved hands on somehow at every level with the Cadets, things won't run as smoothly as you think they should.

2). You seem to have an inherent lack of trust for Gino Cipriani, Tom Aungst, Jonathan Schwartz and the rest of your staff if you feel you need more time to know the musical interpretations and such.

3). That the Cadets will always get the filet mignon within the YEA! organization, and Bones and others will have to settle for second best!!

I may be opening up a can of worms with this thread, but virtually every other Executive Director of DCI world class corps that are in the top 8 DO NOT conduct themselves in this manner, and they all trust their staff and creative teams to do the job they are paid to do!!!

Well George is a member of EST (a Scientology spin-off) and we've seen Tom Cruises (and many other scientologist) level of humilty. Do you think he would be any different?

Edited by sburstall