Why can't people just be humble?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh look - yet another bash George Hopkins thread!

I am <tee> shocked! (NOT!)

Maybe some posters don't realize this George, but when posters say things that cross the line, they hurt their own Corps reputation. The Bluecoats lost some lustre today with a couple of them taking comments out of context and going into an attack mode on the manner in which a Competitive Corps runs their organization internally. Somebody with some class and intelligence from the Bluecoats needs to reign these forner Bluecoats in a little. They are engaging in some classic muckraking of a rival Corps and it's damaging to the Bluecoats organization. But hey, if they want to continue to sully themselves and the Bluecoats with this, they can certainly continue to do so.

Edited by X DM

Maybe some posters don't realize this George, but when posters say things that cross the line, they hurt their own Corps reputation. The Bluecoats lost some lustre today with a couple of them taking comments out of context and going into an attack mode on the manner in which a Competitive Corps runs their organization internally. Somebody with some class and intelligence from the Bluecoats needs to reign these forner Bluecoats in a little. They are engaging in some classic muckraking of a rival Corps and it's damaging to the Bluecoats organization. But hey, if they want to continue to sully themselves and the Bluecoats with this, they can certainly continue to do so.

Geeze, talk about someone who seems bitter towards on organization...

(no, I never marched Bluecoats, nor would I consider myself a Bluecoats fan)

Dude, dragging the Bluecoats into this and even thinking for a moment that you somehow know why the OP posted this is one of the most arrogant things I have ever heard. If you have a beef with the OP, fine. But you're not a mind-reader. Grow up.

The thread originator started a vindictive, mean spirited thread. It was not meant to engage the reader in thoughtful discussion as to WHY a Corps director operates his organization in a particular fashion. It was meant pure and simply to trash the guy and his organization. If the thread originator wants to take issue with the Cadets performance on the field ,fine. If he wants to take issue with this Directors efforts and influence at DCI, fine. But to go into an attack mode on how he runs his Corps internally, by taking some comments out of context to serve the purposes of a mean spirited thread going nowhere, hurt the Bluecoats this morning, not his intended victim of this trashy thread. Now, if you disagree with my comments on this thread topic, then that's ok with me too.

Edited by X DM

The thread originator started a vindictive, mean spirited thread. It was not meant to engage the reader in thoughtful discussion as to WHY a Corps director operates his organization in a particular fashion. It was meant pure and simply to trash the guy and his organization. If the thread originator wants to take issue with the Cadets performance on the field ,fine. If he wants to take issue with this Directors efforts and influence at DCI, fine. But to go into an attack mode on how he runs his Corps internally, by taking some comments out of context to serve the purposes of a mean spirited thread going nowhere, hurt the Bluecoats this morning, not his intended victim of this trashy thread. Now, if you disagree with my comments on this thread topic, then that's ok with me too.

You know..................I have to agree 100%

I am not saying give the guy (George Hopkins) a break or anything, but he is on the road dealing with a great many things while running YEA which, in my opinion, is a great resource for kids, staffs and bands in general. Being on the road with a high level performing group is tough.

Each and every corps runs itself in a manner is which is best for itself. George, the Cadets, the Crossmen and/or YEA run things the way they think things should be run.

He can't be held accountable for the Crossmen because they (the Crossmen admin and staff)do make their own decisions. The kids are traveling well and for the most part competitive. The activity and the journey within the activity is the mark of success. If you ask anyone with in that organization, they would say they are having a successful season. Next year I am sure the Crossmen admin. team will look at everything and make the changes they need to make for the next season. They are the Crossmen and Scott will move them in the direction they need to go. He did it before and will do it again!! He will fine tune the staff with some tough decisions.............just like The Cadet admin. staff does every year.

The decisions made between the two organizations are seperate because they are seperate corps.

George Hopkins should not really have to answer to anyone but the kids or board of directors.

Hey, I get caught up in the moment and say things or do things which are basically stupid and not well thought out. a.k.a. Foot in mouth disease - While apologies go a long way, sometimes the damage is too deep to be repaired -

(I do have to agree, however, blogs are only there to get a rise out of people!) What is the point of a blog anyway? Think about it.

Why isn't he giving that kind of attention to Bones???????

Hop spent time with Crossmen while they were in Oklahoma. He was on the field running around and up on the scafolding. I only saw the last hour of ensemble but I was impressed with his concern for the corps and the quality of his suggestions. It was really hot that day and I was impressed that he was there and working so hard.

I agree. The thread originator marched Bluecoats awhile back and has an axe to grind. Look, how an organization runs their business, is their business, nobody elses. If he wanted to tell Hopkins how to run his organization he should email him directly. Otherwise this former marcher with the Bluecoats whose Corps could never beat the Cadets when he marched just looks like he's got some sour grapes in his bag of groceries. It just seems like such a vindictive thread.

Man, you need to realize a few things:

1). When I was in Bluecoats, I never expected to beat Garifled / Cadets of B.C. / or The Cadets, so your analogy is way off base let alone foolish. As for me having an axe to grind, the only axe I have to grind is that YEA! needs to give equal competitive opportunity to Crossmen...PERIOD!! I would love to see Bones be on the top 6, or even top 5, but under the current set up, they probably will never be afforded the opporunity.

2). I have made it a point to donate to different corps each year EVERY year since 1992, and the Cadets have gotten some $$$$ from me twice in that time frame!!! If I had "sour grapes" towards them, why would I throw some cash their way?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

3). My long standing beef with YEA! is that the organization does NOT evenly balance the opportunities it gives its two most prestigious and well-known organizations, the Cadets and Crossmen. This is NOT fair to Bones, and many who marched X-men have emailed me personally to tell me that they are disappointed Crossmen don't get the same opportunities Cadets do regarding talent level of kids, or even staff.

4). Since you brought Bluecoats into it -- I marched there in years where we couldn't rub two snare drums together let alone field a corps of 100 kids. I also have seen FIRSTHAND how a smart and consistent business approach from all sides is one of the key reasons Canton is now among the drum corps elite. In the years I marched NO ONE in the corps or in the staff ever expected us to beat Cadets.

5). To quote from your other response -- But to go into an attack mode on how he runs his Corps internally, by taking some comments out of context to serve the purposes of a mean spirited thread going nowhere, hurt the Bluecoats this morning, not his intended victim of this trashy thread. If the judges truly tank Bluecoats, or any other corps, by what is posted on DCP, then DCI seriously would need to conduct a full-scale investigation!!!!

My creation of this thread was not intended to be "vindictive." If anyone took it that way, I sincerely apologize.

I've posted on DCP for a few years now, and have taken issue with Hop and YEA! in the past couple of them. Since doing so, Bluecoats have risen to the top 6 -- so you're "theory" that I would do this and have it hurt the Bluecoats is not even a part of reailty.

All the aforementioned being said -- GOOD LUCK to the Cadets, Bluecoats end the rest of the corps for the remainder of the season!!!!! This year is one of the most competitive in years for the top 8, and it is GREAT to see!!!!

"Being that I now spend so much time in admin, it is tough for me to make sure I am prepared each night, that I know the musical interpretations and that -- well, I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

OMG -- English 101, please:

Restating:

"Being that I now spend so much time in admin,

1) it is tough for me to make sure that I am prepared each night,

2) it is tough for me to make sure that I know the musical interpretation

3) it is tough for me to make sure that I can indeed do a better job than a bunch of future and current hall of fame members."

Sounds pretty complimentary to me.

Rag on Hopkins all you want, but don't manufacture issues where none exist.

Fro Hop's 7/28 blog:

Well, last year I posted many show ideas on the Cavies forum. The Cavies definately ended up using some of my ideas and so did Santa Clara as I suggested using Newton's Laws as a theme.

This doesn't look like someone being humble. And how does he actually know, or for that matter, how do we know that Cavies used some of his ideas???????

:unsure:

I think this was an e-mail sent to Hopkins. I do not think it was Hopkins saying he posted ideas for other corps on their forums. Over on the Cavaliers forum, every fall they ask for show ideas. Regardless if they use those ideas or not, I believe the main purpose of it is to build excitement for the coming season and everyone has fun reading and discussing other peoples' ideas.