Div 1, keep looking over your shoulder

For those of you who don't have The Academy on APD, the Season Pass clip doesn't even do their hornline justice. They have a good triple-tonguing section in their show! b**bs :beer: Their horn book is arguably one of the toughest in ANY division this year.

My only disappointment with The Academy is that their colorguard is not nearly as strong as they have been in the past. I've seen this corps ever since they first competed (in their corps jackets too...no full uniforms that year) and I knew then that they'd hit the activity by storm! NOW you guys finally believe us. :tic:

Just took your advice and..................

:tic: b**bs :lol: b**bs :lol: b**bs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I know of Academy is the community they are from has been the fastest growning area in the US for several years. Most of people migratiing from the North who have knowlege of quality corps are the ones moving to their home base. I don't think they are lacking in numbers of people to recruit.

I also heard that they have very experienced staff adding up to several rings to account for. Their show is one of the most complete and unique programs this year. No?

I trust they will continue to build on this years success and be in the top 6 in two years with the momentum they have built. Part of the top 10 next year is realistic. :)

Mom

In my <short> lifetime, I have seen these corps make the "climb" out of class A / A-60 or D2/3 into what was called "Open Class" or Division 1... These are the stories as I know them - PLEASE correct me if I am mistaken:

Glassmen: used to be Class A finalists, steady climb thru open class in the 80's, broke into finals in '93 (bounced out in '96, back in '97), and placed in the "elite" top 5 through the late 90's, fell out of finals recently and currently fighting (usually with success) to place in the top 12. :)

Pioneer: use to be the butt-end of A-60, began winning D2/3 in the late 80's/early 90's, asked by DCI to leave D2/3 (won too many times???) made semi-finals a couple of times in the 90's, now hanging out in 23-25th place D1. I also heard <RUMOR ALERT, RUMOR ALERT!> that Pioneer stays D1 because they "make more $$$" or they can command a higher "per performance" fee... something like that... ?????? :lol: <END RUMOR ALERT> :tic:

Mandarins: ALWAYS successful in A-60 / A finals thru the mid-late 80's, continued success in the 90's in D2/3, moved to D1 ala Pioneer(?), consistently clinging to a spot in the semi's today. B)

Cap. Regiment: I remember hearing about the formation of this corps when I was marching juniors in the mid-90's - I think they sponsored a show in Columbus - before they were an active, competing corps. STEADY growth from inception, and decent competetors in D2 until 2002, when they, along with Magic, marched open class and secured the final spot in the semifinals. (That was, IMO, an unusually strong field of D2 corps in '02) The corps has since had the potential to crack the top 12, but remains in the middle of the D1 pack today. :)

Les Etolies: Relatively unknown corps from Canada, smoked D2 finals in '96, jumped to open class, made semi's, promising to be the next great Canadian drum corps. Went D1 in the late 90s, played in and around 17th for a season or two, and promptly fell into the great black hole that is the demise of all great drum corps *poof* :beer:

... gone.

Seattle Cascades: I only became familiar with the corps after 1994 - I remember they use to play shows called "A Day in Paris" or "A Slaute to the Beatles", or "A Day in Paris with Elton John", etc. You get the idea... I was surprised to see them beat Madison in Madison in '02 - but that show totally rocked!. However, I have little to say after that... :tic:

Carolina Crown used to be D2. Southwind used to be D2. Both corps moved to "open class"/D1 after YEARS of successful competition in A/A-60 / D2/3. I have '92 Quarterfinals video of Crown and Southwind as D2-sized corps... and both were entertaining back then as they are today.

Did you know...? There was also a time when the Bluecoats were really small? Thirty years later... here they are! I remember BAC knockin' on the door - and just barely missing - the top 12. I especially like the story of the Glassmen though. They made "Top 25" for the first time in 1983, and again in '88, and never looked back. Back in the 80's, top 25 was a huge deal. Most of the corps listed above pulled off what would have been phenomenal competitive surges in the 80's. So, Who knows where corps like the Blue Stars will go from here? (Honestly, I thought the Blue Stars were done in 2003... just goes to show you what three years (and the near collapse of a local rival corps) can do...)

The moral of the story here is that the corps we know and love today may have been somewhere else before... and may wind up elsewhere in the future. Part of why I love this activity in its present state is the fun of tracking corps as they rise and fall - However, I would like to see SOME "NEW"CORPS break in to the top 3... soon. :)

Oh, and like so many others on this thread... GO AZ ACADEMY! (Saw them live for the first time this past June)

-TGB (Not just a uniform designer - but a HISTORY BUFF as well!) :P

Glassmen: used to be Class A finalists, steady climb thru open class in the 80's, broke into finals in '93 (bounced out in '96, back in '97), and placed in the "elite" top 5 through the late 90's, fell out of finals recently and currently fighting (usually with success) to place in the top 12. :)
Glassmen can also claim the longest increased placement streak. From 1985 (39th) to 1995 (8th) they increased their placement every year. :)

Saw Crest for the first time last year and felt very strongly that the advanced press did not do them any favors.

They are a nice, solid corps with a long way to go to compete for a Top 12 spot.

I see the same with Academy.

Like everyone here I was impressed by both their size and their horn line.

However clean their drum line, guard and drill may be it was clear even on the stream that those 3 aspects of the corps do not have demand built in that is top 15 caliber yet.

There is a solid foundation on which to build and they should write a book on how to run a corps but let's give them a chance to grow into champions rather than saddle them with unrealistic expectations.

Glassmen can also claim the longest increased placement streak. From 1985 (39th) to 1995 (8th) they increased their placement every year. :)

And in 1995 were GREAT! I think they are the only corps in the lower 6 of finals night to ever get a standing ovation from a ballad. Their version of "A Mightry Fortress" was EXCELLENT!!!! In fact, I don't know very many top 6 corps ever getting standing o's from a ballad. Anyone remember? I watched it the other day, and I had to rewind and re-watch it probably ten times. I couldn't get enough.

I too was very impressed by what I saw at DII/III prelims. I could not believe how much I really responded to shows up and down the line-up. As stong of a year as DI is having, I think DII/III is equally strong.

As for Academy, I think that they definitely have the foundation to be a serious player in DI. However, the biggest difference was in the visual program -- I mean their guard danced around in skirts for what seemed like half the show. That would never cut it in DI these days. BUT, their music program was incredible! It started solidly, but not overwhelming, but my word, that closer was just incredible! I could not believe that they were even attempting it, let alone playing it as well as they were. As strong as Oregon, ECJ, and Spartans were (and they were all very impressive!), after hearing that closer, it was clear that Academy was the top corps on the field.

Congratulations to them and keep it going!

Saw Crest for the first time last year and felt very strongly that the advanced press did not do them any favors.

They are a nice, solid corps with a long way to go to compete for a Top 12 spot.

I see the same with Academy.

Like everyone here I was impressed by both their size and their horn line.

However clean their drum line, guard and drill may be it was clear even on the stream that those 3 aspects of the corps do not have demand built in that is top 15 caliber yet.

There is a solid foundation on which to build and they should write a book on how to run a corps but let's give them a chance to grow into champions rather than saddle them with unrealistic expectations.

:ph34r::lol:

It is very nice to see the comments for the Div/ II corps, especially the ones for The Academy. I knew once people back east would get a glimpse of them, they would be very impressed. Like I said, it's my favorite show this year. Those hornline licks in the final number are very impressive.

They should have put a clip up of that portion of the show I thnk, for the masses whom have never seen or heard the show.

Everyone should really go buy the Academy's APD. You will be amazed... especially from the second half of their show. From hearing this in comparison to Div. I corps, I would place them somwhere in the Colts-Crossmen-Blue Stars-Capital Regiment group. They may not be as clean as some of these groups, but in my opinion, their music book is much more difficult. Of course, this is not considering their visual since I have only heard the APD.