Amplification catching on in marching band world

Michael, I have a ton of respect for you but I have to disagree with some things you have said here.

People do express positive opinions - "I loved Vanguard's battery feature" - "I loved Devils ballad" "Cavies visual design" etc. If you're not hearing it about voice it's because they just aren't finding much to comment positively on.

This implies that folks have no opinions. They do, and very strong ones as evidenced in this forum!

So if people get used to poor design in band it's ok to carry it over to drum corps?

I find this odd too. The opinions expressed here would indicate otherwise.

Jim:

I don't know where to begin. You have twisted everything I said to such a degree that it's become a debating equivilent of a Mobius Strip and I don't know which side is up.

I didn't say people DON'T express opinions. I said the tend to express opinions MORE when they disagree with something.

I said I felt MOST people neither love nor hate a particular feature AT/(during) a show, meaning they just allow themselves to enjoy the product while it's being presented on the field. That doesn't mean they don't have opinions and those will be shared after the performance. Fans pay enough for tickets not to sit there and complain so others can listen to their opinions while the corps are performing. Who would want to sit next to them?

I stated that many fans are used to experiencing amplification in marching band shows in their home area. I never once implied that if they see bad show design, they would be used to seeing band show design from corps. That's really a stretch. Amplification in and of itself should not be inferred to as automatically being bad show design. You can have good design with amplification....you can have bad as well.

I DO get e-mails from people complaining about complaining. Like I stated, people don't complain about things they agree with. Yes, you're reading on this forum complaints about things on the field. I don't get e-mails from people agreeing with those posts. Why would I? Those opinions have already been aired here a'plenty and this is a great forum for that. I get e-mails from people who mention they're tired of reading about this or that. My response is typically always the same...don't read it if it brings you down. Or write a rebuttal on the site. Curious thing is...many don't feel like expressing themselves in public if it runs against the tone of the perceived side most respondents are on in a particular thread.

Again, people tend to complain more when they disagree with something. I think that's a universal truth.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freudian slip? :P

lol

Very much so. And since it's been exposed, (it really wasn't intended, but I was just talking about bands and hey...) I'm going to leave it in. :)

Well...your quote mentioned 'poor design' when such wasn't even mentioned by Mike Boo. Does that mean you think that any use of amps, WW, etc...is by it's very definition 'poor design'? Which means that every one of the thousands of MB in the country are suffering from 'poor design' merely by existing?

Just trying to see how you get from Mike's point 'A' to your point 'B'.

If it wasn't for minutae we wouldn't have anything to talk about on this forum.

My point, if not properly made already (?) is that we shouldn't be accepting something in the summer just becase we see it in BOA.

If it wasn't for minutae we wouldn't have anything to talk about on this forum.

My point, if not properly made already (?) is that we shouldn't be accepting something in the summer just becase we see it in BOA.

Ah, OK...

However, we should not deny it just because it is in BOA.

If enough of the DCI BOD thinks "topic X" is worthy of being included, fine by me. If not...also fine by me.

They do take their time to approve things...amps took a dozen years or so, even though the instructors had wanted them well before 2004.

Jim:

I don't know where to begin. You have twisted everything I said to such a degree that it's become a debating equivilent of a Mobius Strip and I don't know which side is up.

I didn't say people DON'T express opinions. I said the tend to express opinions MORE when they disagree with something.

I said I felt MOST people neither love nor hate a particular feature AT/(during) a show, meaning they just allow themselves to enjoy the product while it's being presented on the field. That doesn't mean they don't have opinions and those will be shared after the performance. Fans pay enough for tickets not to sit there and complain so others can listen to their opinions while the corps are performing. Who would want to sit next to them?

I stated that many fans are used to experiencing amplification in marching band shows in their home area. I never once implied that if they see bad show design, they would be used to seeing band show design from corps. That's really a stretch. Amplification in and of itself should not be inferred to as automatically being bad show design. You can have good design with amplification....you can have bad as well.

I DO get e-mails from people complaining about complaining. Like I stated, people don't complain about things they agree with. Yes, you're reading on this forum complaints about things on the field. I don't get e-mails from people agreeing with those posts. Why would I? Those opinions have already been aired here a'plenty and this is a great forum for that. I get e-mails from people who mention they're tired of reading about this or that. My response is typically always the same...don't read it if it brings you down. Or write a rebuttal on the site. Curious thing is...many don't feel like expressing themselves in public if it runs against the tone of the perceived side most respondents are on in a particular thread.

Again, people tend to complain more when they disagree with something. I think that's a universal truth.

Not sure how I twisted your words….

You said there are very few positive comments about voice because people tend not to comment positively, only negatively. I disagreed with examples.

You said that people just take voice as a normal part of drum corps because they see it in band. I challenged that with a parallel. Just because we see it in “A” should we accept it in “B”? The poor design comment, which seems to have confused a couple of people, was intended to illustrate that. (OT - I do consider narrative and amped singing poor design, but that’s a different debate).

You said you get people emailing you to complain about complainers but not to support them and you find that odd. I agreed, that is very odd.

So how exactly did I twist your words into a mobius strip?

Ah, OK...

However, we should not deny it just because it is in BOA.

If enough of the DCI BOD thinks "topic X" is worthy of being included, fine by me. If not...also fine by me.

They do take their time to approve things...amps took a dozen years or so, even though the instructors had wanted them well before 2004.

I never said we should dismiss something just because it exists in the band world. But we should examine it critically to see if it is a good fit for drum corps. I know you will disagree, but amped voice in it's many incarnations is not, IMHO.

The 12 or so year path to the acceptance of amps is rather like Quebec trying to separate from the rest of Canada. When the seperatist party is in power they keep having referendums to see if the majority of Qubecers want to separate. If they get a no vote they immediately promise another referendum and gear up for it trying to foster winning conditions. You can bet once they get it they won't have a follow up referendum to rejoin, no matter how many come to the realization it was a stupid idea.