Amplification catching on in marching band world

I wasn't aware I was part of a cabal.

You will be assimilated.

:P

Well, you do write quite a bit for DCI and BOA, right? That would tend to color ones opinion...perhaps cabal is too strong of a word, let's just say you're "associated" with them. :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the Cadets love of amplification is catching on in the marching band world. My old high school marching band this year is having a vocalist sing for one of their songs. I personally think this is a bad idea, but it seems like amplification is slowly taking over drum corps.

I'm sure what I'm about to say has already been said but.. umm.. amplification has been a part of marching band for longer than just the last couple of years. So has singing. Way back in the dark ages when I was in HS, bands (including mine) used amplifiers AND electronics (synthesizers and electric guitars/bass).. and though mine didn't, we competed against bands who used singers..

Oh yeah.. my HS marching band years were 83-86.. so it's definitely nothing new.

You know, if the goal of DCI is to innovate, then why not try an avenue that has not been done? Woodwinds are old hat! What about strings? I don't know of any marching art form that has used strings. However, not being a string player, I don't know how feasible that would be.

My high school used a string quartet to open our 1998 show. It was pretty sweet, I'd love to see a corps try it.

Well, you do write quite a bit for DCI and BOA, right? That would tend to color ones opinion...perhaps cabal is too strong of a word, let's just say you're "associated" with them. :)

Yes, I am associated with both. As part of my duties, I have to keep their fish tanks free of algae and I also have to walk the company dogs. It will be so much easier when both offices are located in Indianapolis.

Yes, I am associated with both. As part of my duties, I have to keep their fish tanks free of algae and I also have to walk the company dogs. It will be so much easier when both offices are located in Indianapolis.

At least you aren't keeping the dog tanks free of algae and have to walk the company fish!

Geez.

Tough crowd. :P

Bawker....who is our new blonde lady friend?? :laugh: