Amplification catching on in marching band world

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While others have pointed out that marching bands have been using amplification and singing for years -- and they have -- I would suggest that cavaliers2287 is probably right too. I foresee that many more bands will now follow suit now that Cadets and other corps have been featuring singing, narration and amplification.

You know, if the goal of DCI is to innovate, then why not try an avenue that has not been done? Woodwinds are old hat! What about strings? I don't know of any marching art form that has used strings. However, not being a string player, I don't know how feasible that would be. I'm sure that amps would be necessary, but it would at least be new. I guess some of the board of directors will still think that adding clarinets and saxes is somehow innovative -- perhaps they should become band directors. I just don't see the value in reinventing the wheel.

If I had my druthers, DCI would have stopped "evolving" around 1999. That is, G-bugles with any number of valves, no amplification, no synths, only non-amplified singing and non-amped speaking parts, full pit, etc. Not that I haven't enjoyed drum corps since 1999, because I have (BD 2004 is among my favorite shows of all time). I would have just preferred that some of the coming rule changes had not occurred.

I saw a marching band in the mid-90's using a string section. They were amplified. I can't remember the name of the school, but it's been done before. I also remember two others with solo violins. There was an indoor drumline last year that also used a string section (unsuccessfully because they later found out it was illegal).

Edited by rmurrey74

People can still like a show without it being their favorite.

I enjoyed just about every show this year, Cadets included. But none of them would receive a vote, because only one could be labeled as my favorite.

I'm Spartacus!

Eight. (And yes, I have a vivid imagination.)

Edited by Michael Boo

People tend to voice opinions more when they disagree with something, like the old comment that newspapers never print articles about airplanes that don't crash.

As a counterpoint, I suppose it's going to be okay no matter what they do for some people (I imagine my views would soften if I was part of the DCI/BOA cabal, too.)

Silence doesn't always equal acquiescence.

As a counterpoint, I suppose it's going to be okay no matter what they do for some people (I imagine my views would soften if I was part of the DCI/BOA cabal, too.)

Silence doesn't always equal acquiescence.

I wasn't aware I was part of a cabal.

You will be assimilated.