Amplification catching on in marching band world

It seems like the Cadets love of amplification is catching on in the marching band world. My old high school marching band this year is having a vocalist sing for one of their songs. I personally think this is a bad idea, but it seems like amplification is slowly taking over drum corps.

Edited by cavaliers2287

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The school I work with used it back in 1998....so hardly anything new to the band world.

I know BOA bands have been using it before then.

If anything, I think Hop got the idea from marching bands.

Edited by Malibu

I first saw an East Tennessee HS band use amps in '98. At a rather rural contest in '04, a good number of the smaller bands used amps for woodwind features but not for the pit. Only one band, one from a wealthy part of Knoxville, used amped vocals. Their marching was awful, but they were big and loud, so they won. :worthy:

I've never overheard someone at a show say "Wow, I loved that singer and those amps!"

Yeah, amplification and electronics have been going on in marching band for years and years and years. Now it's catching on in drum corps, in that (wow, I'm starting to sound like Terrance) some corps are incorporating elements like talking and singing, which bands have used for years, and calling that "innovation." In doing so they are incorrectly likening this development to those such as evolution in visual and musical design (which were actually pioneered in drum corps, then used in marching band, not the other way around).

Edited by Hrothgar15

I've never overheard someone at a show say "Wow, I loved that singer and those amps!"

People tend to voice opinions more when they disagree with something, like the old comment that newspapers never print articles about airplanes that don't crash.

And I would guess most people neither love nor hate anything in particular at such a show, but they simply accept it as being what it is. If we heard "I love that" after everything fans love in a show, they'd be talking through much of the show as there is simply so much to love in a field show. (Otherwise, why would we bother going?)

Many people who've attended marching band shows in certain parts of the country are so used to amplification of voices, pits, woodwind features, small farm animals and the such that it just doesn't faze them to see in on the field in the summer.

I get a number of e-mails over the year from fans complaining about fans that complain about something. (Yeah, it sounds strange to say it that way, but that's the truth.) I don't get e-mails from fans expressing solidarity with fans complaining about something. That's just the way life is, I guess.