Amplification catching on in marching band world

Yes, I am associated with both. As part of my duties, I have to keep their fish tanks free of algae and I also have to walk the company dogs. It will be so much easier when both offices are located in Indianapolis.

so what you're saying is you scoop their ####

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strings have been done in marching band. Washingtown Twp from NJ.

they sucked, but they were done

When did they use them? I judged their home USSBA show last season.

We used a bass with the band I arrange for two seasons ago. Started out with a micced upright but switched mid-season to an electric bass guitar. Worked well for us.

What would Yogi Berra say??? Something like "The more things change, the more they are different"? All I can say is....I miss drum corps the way it was. You can have your amps, your dancing, your picnic tables and all the other "Let's be BOA" things.....Give me an in-your-face- corps and I will show you an actual drum corps. Yes, I know.....the good ol' days are gone.

Michael, I have a ton of respect for you but I have to disagree with some things you have said here.

People tend to voice opinions more when they disagree with something, like the old comment that newspapers never print articles about airplanes that don't crash.

People do express positive opinions - "I loved Vanguard's battery feature" - "I loved Devils ballad" "Cavies visual design" etc. If you're not hearing it about voice it's because they just aren't finding much to comment positively on.

And I would guess most people neither love nor hate anything in particular at such a show, but they simply accept it as being what it is. If we heard "I love that" after everything fans love in a show, they'd be talking through much of the show as there is simply so much to love in a field show. (Otherwise, why would we bother going?)

This implies that folks have no opinions. They do, and very strong ones as evidenced in this forum!

Many people who've attended marching band shows in certain parts of the country are so used to amplification of voices, pits, woodwind features, small farm animals and the such that it just doesn't faze them to see in on the field in the summer.

So if people get used to poor design in band it's ok to carry it over to drum corps?

I get a number of e-mails over the year from fans complaining about fans that complain about something. (Yeah, it sounds strange to say it that way, but that's the truth.) I don't get e-mails from fans expressing solidarity with fans complaining about something. That's just the way life is, I guess.

I find this odd too. The opinions expressed here would indicate otherwise.

Cheers

Jim

So if people get used to poor design in band it's ok to carry it over to drum corps?

Mike said nothing about 'poor design'. Where did you get that from? Instrumentation in and of itself has nothing to do with good or bad design. It's how the designers use the available tools that counts.

Mike said nothing about 'poor design'. Where did you get that from? Instrumentation in and of itself has nothing to do with good or bad design. It's how the designers use the available tools that counts.

Small farm animals? Intended tongue in cheek, I realize. The inference was that if they see it in the band season it's OK in the drum corps season. I disagree.

Edited by kusankusho

People do express positive opinions - "I loved Vanguard's battery feature" - "I loved Devils ballad" "Cavies visual design" etc. If you're not hearing it about voice it's because they just aren't finding much to comment positively on.

Several people here have already said it about voice.

This implies that folks have no opinions. They do, and very strong ones as evidenced in this forum!

The people who spend time on this forum are NOT your average drum corps fans. Your average drum corps fan doesn't even know that this forum exists. Despite what so many people here believe, DCP is a very small subsection of hardcore drum corps fans, and hardcore fans are the ones that typically have the strongest opinions. Using DCP as a measure of the typical drum corps fan is like interviewing that guy at football games that isn't wearing a shirt and is completely painted with his teams colors in December about football and taking his opinion as being the norm.

I find this odd too. The opinions expressed here would indicate otherwise.

It's already been said, but none of these things imply poor design.

Small farm animals? Intended tongue in cheek, I realize. The inference was that if they see it in the band season it's OK in the drum corps season. I disagree.

Well...your quote mentioned 'poor design' when such wasn't even mentioned by Mike Boo. Does that mean you think that any use of amps, WW, etc...is by it's very definition 'poor design'? Which means that every one of the thousands of MB in the country are suffering from 'poor design' merely by existing?

Just trying to see how you get from Mike's point 'A' to your point 'B'.