Amplification catching on in marching band world

I never said we should dismiss something just because it exists in the band world. But we should examine it critically to see if it is a good fit for drum corps. I know you will disagree, but amped voice in it's many incarnations is not, IMHO.

It's OK for you to be wrong. :P

The 12 or so year path to the acceptance of amps is rather like Quebec trying to separate from the rest of Canada. When the seperatist party is in power they keep having referendums to see if the majority of Qubecers want to separate. If they get a no vote they immediately promise another referendum and gear up for it trying to foster winning conditions. You can bet once they get it they won't have a follow up referendum to rejoin, no matter how many come to the realization it was a stupid idea.

That only holds true if you do not like amps...IMO they should have passed the first time around. It took a dozen years for the BOD to 'see the light'. :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's OK for you to be wrong. :P

That only holds true if you do not like amps...IMO they should have passed the first time around. It took a dozen years for the BOD to 'see the light'. :P

Chalk up another thread where we will never agree, Mike! You have to love consistency. :P

I think the referendum analogy does apply though. We will keep asking until we get the answer we want, and then never ask again no matter what. Isn't that the situation here? Do you think DCI will ever seriously open up the debate to dis-allow amps? No - because after years of being told no the proponents finally got a "yes" and now they are happy. It's like a spoiled kid demanding a cookie.....

Chalk up another thread where we will never agree, Mike! You have to love consistency. :P

I think the referendum analogy does apply though. We will keep asking until we get the answer we want, and then never ask again no matter what. Isn't that the situation here? Do you think DCI will ever seriously open up the debate to dis-allow amps? No - because after years of being told no the proponents finally got a "yes" and now they are happy. It's like a spoiled kid demanding a cookie.....

Well, you come at this as one who dislikes the idea, so to you this fits.

To me, it's more a case of waiting for the time to be 'right' for the BOD to approve them. It's put on the table over the years....the instructors have wanted them for a while...and finally enough corps admins agree. Don't forget, the makeup of the BOD does change over time as new people come to the table. Why shouldn't they have a chance to vote on the issue?

Well, you come at this as one who dislikes the idea, so to you this fits.

To me, it's more a case of waiting for the time to be 'right' for the BOD to approve them. It's put on the table over the years....the instructors have wanted them for a while...and finally enough corps admins agree. Don't forget, the makeup of the BOD does change over time as new people come to the table. Why shouldn't they have a chance to vote on the issue?

The analogy would be just as apt if I was the spoiled child that had succeeded in having circus elephants legalized after 20 years of trying, and you were the one that was upset…..

Actually, you probably wouldn’t be upset. I’m sure you would think it a great leap forward in creativity. Man you are so weird…… :P

Not cool <**>

Mike is well beyond weird. :P

Still has a way to go to catch up with Terrance though.

When did they use them? I judged their home USSBA show last season.

We used a bass with the band I arrange for two seasons ago. Started out with a micced upright but switched mid-season to an electric bass guitar. Worked well for us.

mid 90's. it was awful

mid 90's. it was awful

Once again I'll mention that Empire Statesmen used an amplified bass guitar in 1985. Not something I was fond or proud of, but it did happen. This was in the 'rebel" ICA circuit but I believe that we still took a penalty every night for it.