Capital Regiment Website

It's my understanding that Fred Morris joined them at the end of the year because of the mess and to try and hold things together till Madison. Is that accurate?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes fred morris joined us the day after san antonion...and did SOOO much for the corps...he was a wonderful asset...did everything that a corps director should have done...the corps immediately ran better..when he came on board....the troopers are going to be run in extremely good hands

I am sure DCI was aware of the situation as after Capital Regiment made national news for heat exhaustion, they sent in the Troopers director. Where does CR get their money from? Does this director truly own the corps?

yes fred morris joined us the day after san antonion...and did SOOO much for the corps...he was a wonderful asset...did everything that a corps director should have done...the corps immediately ran better..when he came on board....the troopers are going to be run in extremely good hands

WOW! Talk about a smart move for the Troopers. Any idea David how many members from CR might march with the Troopers next year as a result of Fred's influence?

Edited by Granny Smith

You know.. this is a hard thing to read/hear about in any capacity.

My personal experiences with Rick Bays have always been positive.. but then.. I usually had either a check in my hand or a press pass around my neck -- who's to say that had anything to do with my experience.

I do have some very good friends whom I knew before they went to work there.. and friends I made while they were working there.. in all cases, those friends no longer work there.. and their departures were all drama filled and the reasons revolved around their interaction with Rick... hearsay, yes.. but I'm just giving you what I learned from a first person account.

The corps seems to go through staff like water year after year. I always say, "gosh I hope they can survive it" and somehow, they always manage to.. best of luck to them.. and to the kids who stay.. There are obviously some very good reasons for staying.. none of which are getting much airtime.

With all that said, I would just like to shed a little positive light on something.. High praise is being leveled for not only the tour staff, but also for Fred (I hope that's his name).. the Troopers director who went out to lend a hand..

I think praise for this man in the face of such an adverse situation.. particularly one he had to jump in the middle of.. bodes well for the future of Troopers.

I marched with the bluecoats when Fred started as our cymbal instructor and then moved on into souvie sales. Fred is truly a wonderful and intelligent person who knows what he is doing.

The troopers are very lucky to have him, and I wouldn't be surprised if some kids followed him from Capital to Troopers.

i dont KNOW that anyone from cap reg 06 will be going to troopers but...i know that most of us truly respect fred and are becoming troopers supporters because of it...

and yes i believe actually does own the corps...he started raising funds for it in the early 90s...and literally created it...which no doubt he did a great job creating a corps....but the current condition speaks for itself

I was checking up on the Capital Regiment website this morning, pretty randomly and I ran across the announcement that it was to be shut down by the webmaster/tour coordinator for some reasons that he lists in an announcement and continues on the forums. It's rather disturbing to read, as someone who's marched and knows what kind of things go into the opporation of a corps and I know many people don't necessarily read their forums as much as you may read Blue Devils or The Cavaliers. I know I don't.

I just hope that DCI is fully aware of the #### that these two staff members clearly went through with the admin (Rick Bays). There needs to be some serious investigation into this issue for the sake of the kids. I'm truly concerned.

I bet you are. But for the moment, let's revisit some of your other posts from the past, shall we?

Here are my thoughts...

- Capital Regiment: After talking to a lot of people on tour last year, there are a lot of problems the corps had with the administration. If that's the case, the admin hasn't changed, and you can't have that find of fight between forces. It's gotta be a smooth running machine. I can't see them making a huge improvement. I would absolutely love for this corps to prove me wrong, but I'm going to say that the lack of improvement will be a surprise to those who have posted on here.

and this little gem, in reference to drinking on tour, specifically the incident in 2003 when a number of ageouts went drinking after lights out after quarterfinals.

he did it to a STAFF member in 05. this staff member was LOCKED out of a housing site that night.

totally absurd behavior for a director and i'm glad that i'm not directly involved with him.

Now, I'm not the one to say what actually went on this year, but it seems to me that you have a bone to pick with Rick Bays. Just randomly checking up on Capital Regiments website, were we? There's a need for DCI to investigate for the sake of the kids, is there? I'll give you that there were some troubles on tour this season, from what we heard coming out of their camp. But I think that in your case there was a little bit more of a desire to stir up #### with Rick Bays in the middle of it, rather than any concern for "the kids". I bet you smelled blood in the water, and decided to attack someone whom you claim you have never dealt with directly.

I say we let the problem get worked out between the CR Administration and the Tour Managers who obviously had some problems. This isn't the first time that admins have clashed with staff, and it won't be the last by far. Rick Bays is, like I imagine many corps administrators are, on vacation after getting back from tour. Why don't we let him get back and deal with the problem, and then decide what side we're going to take? Sitting here and musing over whether CR will be out next year doesn't do anything but feed the rumor mill, and I think there are quite enough corps who are rumored to be not coming out next season.

I keep hearing that Rick Bays doesn't care about the kids, let me tell you a story. I marched for CR, and at one point I was supposed to be taking a ride home on a Greyhound. I misread the schedule, and there wasn't a bus back to my city until the next morning. Completely my own fault. I called Mr. Bays on the phone, and he came and picked me up at the bus station in a corps bus. I apologized to him, and he told me not to worry about it. Not only did he not mention it again, he took me out to dinner that night (with some volunteers), and stayed the night with me in the CR Center. This guy, who had probably not seen home in days, got out his sleeping bag and crashed on the floor of the center with me, and gave me a ride to my bus the next morning. Were there times on tour when he was an absolute hardass? Yep, and quite frankly, I bore the brunt of his ire on more than one occasion on tour. But every time it was because I crossed the line.

I don't speak for Mr. Bays, and I don't pretend to know what happened on tour this year, but I know a few things. Mr. Bays looks out for every kid that comes on tour, or sets foot on his bus. But he also cares about the corps, and I have never seen him do anything that wasn't in direct response to someone crossing the line. Maybe he is a little rabid when protecting what he sees as the corps image, but I call BS when people say he doesn't care about the kids.

i dont KNOW that anyone from cap reg 06 will be going to troopers but...i know that most of us truly respect fred and are becoming troopers supporters because of it...

and yes i believe actually does own the corps...he started raising funds for it in the early 90s...and literally created it...which no doubt he did a great job creating a corps....but the current condition speaks for itself

As far as I know, Capital Regiment was created while Rick Bays was still the assistant director of Limited Edition in '92.